Turn on thread page Beta

Is this a con? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well this afternoon I got a leaflet through my post.. The leaflet has a heading 'promotional sale, everything must go' and there is a list of stuff that they are selling and its so cheap, for example they're selling a sony ericsson p900 for only £30 and a sony psp for only £45.. The sale will be held in a hotel. Do u think that this is a con to just lure people in and rob their money somehow?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It will be a con.

It will either all be stolen, or they'll sell you an empty box. They'll put junk in the box so you don't know it's empty until later when it will be too late to do anything.

ReputationRep:
    In a hotel? I dunno about rip you off, I'd be careful they dont drug you and rape your bum.

ReputationRep:
    Hm.... and theres one other thing. The sale starts at 12.30pm and you can't go in if you arrive 10 mins late..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_red_sox)
    ...rape your bum.
    Love the wording...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by sunny316)
    Hm.... and theres one other thing. The sale starts at 12.30pm and you can't go in if you arrive 10 mins late..
    That's to stop the disappointed buyers going back in and warning people.

Sounds like a con, but just go along with a couple of mates to check it out, you may really get a PSP for £45!

ReputationRep:
    does it have a webiste address or something?

ReputationRep:
    Just call your crew, taking a minimum of say 20 people, and raid the place.

ReputationRep:
    The trick is most probably that they have only one of each of these 'super deals', i.e. there will be one phone and one psp and a load of other rubbish or regularly priced stuff. They only use these seemingly amazing deals to lure people there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahmed)
    does it have a webiste address or something?
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    Was the leaflet posted or just delivered by hand?
    A friend of mine went to one of these recently; got a leaflet hand posted to his door about a sale in a seedy carpark one evening. Lots of stuff being sold, all stolen goods. A Xbox 360, PSP, digital camcorder and 42" TFT TV was sold for £250.

If you have no morals, and are up for that sort of thing, check it out I guess, but don't go alone and don't take more than what you're prepared to spend! Not a nice crowd though, his mum's (no idea why he took his mum) Jag got keyed on the way out.

Or it could just be to rob you or sell you crap, but who knows. Only one way to find out I guess, but either you'll get ripped off, or be partaking in illegal activity.

ReputationRep:
    Would not go...bound to be a rip off of some kind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunny316)
    Well this afternoon I got a leaflet through my post.. The leaflet has a heading 'promotional sale, everything must go' and there is a list of stuff that they are selling and its so cheap, for example they're selling a sony ericsson p900 for only £30 and a sony psp for only £45.. The sale will be held in a hotel. Do u think that this is a con to just lure people in and rob their money somehow?
    We often get these types of sales in hotels. It's like a big market, so imagine buying that type of stuff at a market. A lot of it will be cheap rip offs and not the original products. They would like you to think that it's off the back of a lorry and the genuine thing. Go, have a look, pick up a bargain but be very careful with what you buy and check it there and then. Remember, you will have no way to get your cash back later on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nessyfencer)
    We often get these types of sales in hotels. It's like a big market, so imagine buying that type of stuff at a market. A lot of it will be cheap rip offs and not the original products. They would like you to think that it's off the back of a lorry and the genuine thing. Go, have a look, pick up a bargain but be very careful with what you buy and check it there and then. Remember, you will have no way to get your cash back later on.
    So it's in a conference room or something? Sounds a bit more credible I suppose.

If it was like the thing my friend went to, it'd more likely be in a room, locked, and watched by two big blokes!

ReputationRep:
    It's propably stolen goods.

ReputationRep:
    It would be a trap!

ReputationRep:
    Go, just make sure you go with a couple of people, and check whatever before you buy it to make sure it is what it says it is and it works

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it's a con - and if there are cheap goods, there is a 99% chance that they will be stolen.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Could it not perhaps be an auction and thing prices stated are the reserve prices?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.