Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

VoIP watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, does anyone here use VoIP? In particular Skype, i am thinking of changing over from a normal landline to it because it would work out cheaper

Any recommendations or anything?

Lofty.

ReputationRep:
    i use it, its really good, you need to hae quite a good internet connection though. Nothing much else to say really, its really straight forward.

Wiz

[geek]Skype isn't exactly VoIP... since Skype uses a different network topology to get it working[/geek]

But yes, it sure is cheaper. However, if you lose electricity, you suddenly have no phone. And in an emergency services situation, this is a big problem.

ReputationRep:
    I am looking into this though since losing electrical power supply is somewhat rare and for short periods in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    I use sipgate, I highly recomend it, it is cheap and reliable and you get a free proper dial in number unlike Skype.

I have invested in a VOIP phone which connects to my router so I don't even need a computer to be switched on to use it.

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I am looking into this though since losing electrical power supply is somewhat rare and for short periods in my experience.
    Fire.

ReputationRep:
    you really need to look into it and how much it really costs. you should look beyond the call charges and look at how much any rental or hardware costs.

you might spend £n on a voip supporting router and handset because its "cheaper" but you might actually spend less than the £n mentioned on the current setup.

i hope you arent being conned by the bandwagon into blindly believing its going to save you a bucket full of cash. i'd research fully if you haven't done so already.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, as it is at the moment it wouldn save a huge amount, costs £20 a year for incoming calles, and £10 credit gives about 14 hours of (landline, less for mobiles) calls. Just something i fancied trying really!

I guess the only downside is you still need to pay line rental for your BB.

Also, AT82, where did you get a phone like that I couldn't see any, only ones that plugged into a computer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Fire.
    Yeah, imagine that situation, you are at home and a fire breaks out, no way of escape. You rush to your computer, wait 5 minutes for windows to load up........BAM it crashes *restart*. LOL! :p:

ReputationRep:
    This is the one I use, not cheap but it is reliable and speach quality is as good as normal phones.

http://www.digidave.co.uk/product_in...78afb6e1a392b5

It has caller ID and everything so is perfect for business use.

I think this one from Microdirect is a the same thing with a different badge

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...87&GroupID=889

They only work with the SIP system, such as Sipgate, Vonage etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm certainly thinking of getting a VoIP solution when I head to the UK. It's gonna make calling home a LOT cheaper.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 14, 2006
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.