Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone, i have my aptitude testing at RAF Cramwell for RN aircrew next month and i haven't got a clue what's involved. Any tips and advice would be hugely welcomed. Also, is there anyway of practicing these tests in books on the net etc? thanks for your time!!

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at the OASC reviews. mankyscot2 (hey mate ) wrote a good review of them, after coming back from RAFC.

ReputationRep:
    There's no real way of practicing for them. Thats the way they are designed. The only thinh to do is keep relaxed when doing them and don't panic if you don't finish a task as this is quite normal! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    cheers, don't mean to sound stupid but what is the oasc? and whats the pass score for RN? thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Officer Aircrew Selection Centre - where you willsit the aptitude tests. It's an RAF Station, also where Officer Cadets go at the start of their careers, just like Dartmouth.

80/180 rings a bell for a pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RN hopefull)
    cheers, don't mean to sound stupid but what is the oasc? and whats the pass score for RN? thanks again
    OASC is Officers and Aircrew Selection centre. The same as the Navy AIB. The pass marks are the same for navy as they are for RAF which means for pilot around 115 minimum but you need to be getting 130 plus to be competitive. Thats true for the RAF but not sure for Navy.

ReputationRep:
    Infact, 80 is AAC. I think RN is 120? With 130 being a 'real' pass, with a decent enough chance? Someone will correct me, no doubt.

ReputationRep:
    anywhere on the net or any books that i can practice at all?

ReputationRep:
    112 is pass for RAF Pilot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big_pd)
    OASC is Officers and Aircrew Selection centre. The same as the Navy AIB. The pass marks are the same for navy as they are for RAF which means for pilot around 115 minimum but you need to be getting 130 plus to be competitive. Thats true for the RAF but not sure for Navy.
    Anyone know what a competitive score for the RN is? Seeing as there are less slots available, although less applicants - I'd have thought a competitive score would be a little higher?

ReputationRep:
    Don't quote me on this, but when I thought about applying to the RN the Lt in the AFCO (a Pilot) said that as long as you passed both the Pilot and Obs tests and were invited to the AIB, how "competitive" the scores were was not an issue as you undertake grading whilst at BRNC which is a much better indicator of potential then a battery of aptitude tests.

As an indicator, my first score of 124 (for UAS entry) was classed as "possibly uncompetitive for his (my) only branch choice (Pilot)..." when at my first OASC. However, on my second attempt I got 132 which became "solid and well rounded". However, the first score was "a good effort" as far as the RN were concerned and they weren't bothered with asking me to resit them.

Incidently, I don't know how others who have sat the tests found this, but on both occasions my Pilot score was my lowest - All the others were circa 140-160!?, which is strange.

Finally, once at the AIB the aptitude score is irevelvant.

ReputationRep:
    [quote=Raptor]Don't quote me on this, but when I thought about applying to the RN the Lt in the AFCO (a Pilot) said that as long as you passed both the Pilot and Obs tests and were invited to the AIB, how "competitive" the scores were was not an issue as you undertake grading whilst at BRNC which is a much better indicator of potential then a battery of aptitude tests.

As an indicator, my first score of 124 (for UAS entry) was classed as "possibly uncompetitive for his (my) only branch choice (Pilot)..." when at my first OASC. However, on my second attempt I got 132 which became "solid and well rounded". However, the first score was "a good effort" as far as the RN were concerned and they weren't bothered with asking me to resit them.

Incidently, I don't know how others who have sat the tests found this, but on both occasions my Pilot score was my lowest - All the others were circa 140-160!?, which is strange.

Finally, once at the AIB the aptitude score is irevelvant.[/quote]

Is it just a case of a pass is a pass then? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    A mate of mine started in Feb after attending AIB in Jan. He was told that as the RN are keen to get more good officers through the AIB a pass for both Plt and Obs was sufficient to get to the AIB if they were reccomended by the AFCO after passing a filter.

However, you can and will be binned if you don't cut it in grading.

ReputationRep:
    Lol 'binned', that's a nice way of putting it. I see, wasn't sure about that. Thanks for the info.

ReputationRep:
    are the scores rewuired to pass the same for direct enteries as graduate and other enteries?

ReputationRep:
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    Are the eyesight requirements for flying with the RN identical to the RAFs standards?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. 6/6/1/1 uncorrected.

ReputationRep:
    Damn...

ReputationRep:
    Try the Army.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.