This discussion is closed.
wannabEconomist
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
hi
i will quite likely be applying to study economics next year at uni and was wondering what i could do, apart from academics, which will further my application.
i will most likely be applying to LSE, UCL, Cambridge and so i will need a strong application
it will be a gap year for me, i am currently studying for my A2s and hope to achieve AAb-AAA.
do these unis consider retake applicants if i had to pull up my grades next year?
Also what could i do in terms of work experience next year which will help or which type of paid employment will benefit me, i.e. working in a bank, etc
i would be most grateful for any ideas
sam99
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by wannabEconomist)
hi
i will quite likely be applying to study economics next year at uni and was wondering what i could do, apart from academics, which will further my application.
i will most likely be applying to LSE, UCL, Cambridge and so i will need a strong application
it will be a gap year for me, i am currently studying for my A2s and hope to achieve AAb-AAA.
do these unis consider retake applicants if i had to pull up my grades next year?
Also what could i do in terms of work experience next year which will help or which type of paid employment will benefit me, i.e. working in a bank, etc
i would be most grateful for any ideas

I reckon if you do the following, you should get a place with at least one of the above institutions:

1) Make sure you get AAA
2) Make sure you have Maths A2 Level (you may have to teach it to yourself or get a private tutor, but it's highly unlikely you will get a place without it)
3) Read The Economist, Business Section in a good newspaper and read Economics related books.
4) Work experience - not the be all and end all, but will give you something to talk about at interview (if you have one), and will also show that you are committed to a career in economics. Apply to loads of financial companies. You probably won't get paid, but the experience is more important than the money.

Good Luck!

Sam

(If you want any more info or help, then just PM me)
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sam99)
I reckon if you do the following, you should get a place with at least one of the above institutions:

1) Make sure you get AAA
2) Make sure you have Maths A2 Level (you may have to teach it to yourself or get a private tutor, but it's highly unlikely you will get a place without it)
3) Read The Economist, Business Section in a good newspaper and read Economics related books.
4) Work experience - not the be all and end all, but will give you something to talk about at interview (if you have one), and will also show that you are committed to a career in economics. Apply to loads of financial companies. You probably won't get paid, but the experience is more important than the money.

Good Luck!

Sam

(If you want any more info or help, then just PM me)
well said, regarding work experience - it is very ahrd to find a good firm to work in unless you know somebody. If you do, i would recommend you to ask him/her for a placement. Sam - are you at uni?
sam99
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
well said, regarding work experience - it is very ahrd to find a good firm to work in unless you know somebody. If you do, i would recommend you to ask him/her for a placement. Sam - are you at uni?

nope, but i have offers from 5/6 for econ this october
r u?
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sam99)
nope, but i have offers from 5/6 for econ this october
r u?
nah im not im in l6th at the moment, what unis you got offers frommate
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeh regarding work experience, try to get it through a friend (of a friend of a friend etc.) I emailed loads of companies, and all reserved work experience for Uni students. Fortunately an old friend's dad worked for HSBC, and sorted me a couple of days in the investment banking area of canarywharf.. and i got an offer from LSE (may have helped )
sam99
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
nah im not im in l6th at the moment, what unis you got offers frommate
Cambridge: AAA
LSE: AAA (wish they'd given me AAB-could put it as my insurance [sigh])
UCL: AAA
Nottingham: AAB
Bath: AAB
Warwick: still waiting!

where do you wanna apply? I presume you are going to apply 4 economics.
WILKO
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
join some economic clubs or societies, like the adam smith institute, as that will show a greater depth of interest. go 2 some economic conferences (usually there are bursaries for students) i went to an institute of economic affairs conference last year for free
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sam99)

yea im applying for economics, cambridge,ucl,lse and manchester + york for insurace, i realised that they have economics and finance at manchester and york, which has a really good course. But i also know that straight economics l100 i can choose finance as an option later. I wanna go into banking after uni, which (economics/economics and finance) would you think is better?
wannabEconomist
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
thanks for the advice, youve all been very helpful
i am studying A2 maths
i will try my upmost to get AAA and god willing i will
however... if i didnt would the unis mind if i had to do some retake modules in jan to get the grades up or would the top ones, i.e LSE, Cambridge, frown on this?
unfortunately i dont have any friends (or indeed a friend of a friend of a friend) who has got links with any finance company so may just have to apply to loads and try my luck
what do you mean by financial companies though... im not sure if im being naive by asking this...
any company involved in finance (i.e. a normal bank) or will it have to be more specific, for example in investment banking.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
it really does not matter, you will have only 0.5% of getting into an investment bank for work experience unless you know someone. The universities really do not care whether you did a work experience from Goldman Sachs or in the smallest firm possible
Jim Riley
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Some experience at the sharp end of a small or medium-sized business would be much better training than time at Goldman Sachs.

When I recruited people for PwC I found the students who had got some real commercial experience seemed to progress much quicker. Just my £0.002 worth

Jim
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by wannabEconomist)
thanks for the advice, youve all been very helpful
i am studying A2 maths
i will try my upmost to get AAA and god willing i will
however... if i didnt would the unis mind if i had to do some retake modules in jan to get the grades up or would the top ones, i.e LSE, Cambridge, frown on this?
unfortunately i dont have any friends (or indeed a friend of a friend of a friend) who has got links with any finance company so may just have to apply to loads and try my luck
what do you mean by financial companies though... im not sure if im being naive by asking this...
any company involved in finance (i.e. a normal bank) or will it have to be more specific, for example in investment banking.
You have to tell Cambridge your June module results on a special form, ie before you've taken the jan retakes, so they know your marks first time round. You really have to get 3As or it will be near impossible to get in for such a competitive course. As for the LSE, well although you don't tell them your module marks from June, it is just as hard if not harder to get in than Cambs. Often people with 4As + good ps will be rejected which is scary.
marabara
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you have to do retakes I doubt Oxbridge would consider you. The exams there are so much harder than A-levels and you can't retake those, so they'd just take a dim view unless you had very good reasons.

I wouldn't fret about work experience - Oxbridge couldn't care less.
Dumbo
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sam99)

Nottingham's offers this year has been AAA and AABB, they must like you.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm just wondering, how much consideration do they put onto your GCSE grades, because that could have been where I fell down.
marabara
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mysticmin)
I'm just wondering, how much consideration do they put onto your GCSE grades, because that could have been where I fell down.
quite a bit because those are the only grades you have after all, unless you've already completed your A-levels
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by marabara)
quite a bit because those are the only grades you have after all, unless you've already completed your A-levels
Ah, I have AS, all As, but My GCSE grades were average (2A* 8As). I'm debating with the idea that if I applied post A-Level with all As I'd have a bigger chance.
marabara
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mysticmin)
Ah, I have AS, all As, but My GCSE grades were average (2A* 8As). I'm debating with the idea that if I applied post A-Level with all As I'd have a bigger chance.
wouldn't call those average - would think that they're good enough

probably fell down elsewhere, maybe the interview or statement?
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by marabara)
wouldn't call those average - would think that they're good enough

probably fell down elsewhere, maybe the interview or statement?
Its LSE I'm pissed off about, wondering if I should annoy them with a complaint letter. But if it was due to my GCSE grades there's no point.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (2)
5.13%
Confident (6)
15.38%
Indifferent (2)
5.13%
Unsure (7)
17.95%
Worried (22)
56.41%

Watched Threads