Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How did you initially get interested in IB?

Also, are there any decent books to read to get an introduction to IB (A-Level/Uni standard) ?

Thanks

1. By realising it was money that made the world go round.
    2. I'd actually quite seriously watch 'Wall Street' and then try to understand what is going on it that. To get a view of certain areas, Liar's Poker or Barbarians at the Gate are worth a read. Go through efinancialcareers to get you started, but by no means take the content as gospel.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, anyone else?

Oh, Monkey Business is worth a look too.

ReputationRep:
    Watch syriana - top movie to understand the real world oil & gas industries dealings and investment banking + more ..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macro_me)
    Watch syriana - top movie to understand the real world oil & gas industries dealings and investment banking + more ..!
    But so complicated many ppl (including me) had difficulty following...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out shortly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johan C)
    But so complicated many ppl (including me) had difficulty following...
    It is complicated but hey, the world of IB/oil & gas is complicated..!
    Go on and get familiar...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out shortly.
    You are welcome, sadly it depicts the reality !

I was already interested in Oil & Gas + IB because of this and hence, my chosen career paths.

A dangerous world but I guess thats where we live.

ReputationRep:
    It is complicated but hey, the world of IB/oil & gas is complicated..!
    Go on and get familiar...
    Lol well I was tired and it was late... But yeah you're right. It's a fascinating world, but (ref to previous post) I for my part wouldn't want to work there, there's this haze of corruption/war/terrorism etc. around oil that I don't like.

ReputationRep:
    Corruption/war/terrorism is all around us....the *only* difference being, we deal in small scale and out there it is in big scale..!
    In other words.. u get a chance to make an impact on something so powerful that may change the financial world or even our lives.

ReputationRep:
    Corruption/war/terrorism is all around us....the *only* difference being, we deal in small scale and out there it is in big scale..!
    In other words.. u get a chance to make an impact on something so powerful that may change the financial world or even our lives.
    True, but don't you feel that the power struggles may get overwhelming ? I mean, there's lots of that in IB, but when you're dealing with oil you're directly meddling with stuff that governments would love to control (cf. Bush and Iraq). It's an opportunity to really make a difference, but also an opportunity to get into serious trouble... I don't know if you see what I mean, but it sort of combines economics/finance with politics, sometimes even at the lower levels in the hierarchy.

ReputationRep:
    I understand ..what you mean.. but thats what makes it interesting. Power is what the world is after ..and oil gives us power. In the next 10 or 20 years, it will play a major role in defining the most powerful nations or even the people.
    I am personally interested in politics.. and have been choosing my career path accordingly - engineering, now finance and then later politics. And so that I dont get into trouble at that level - i.e. if I make it - good credentials are required. U have to be a good chess player to have the world as your chess board..! It is challenging and therfore interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I understand ..what you mean.. but thats what makes it interesting. Power is what the world is after ..and oil gives us power. In the next 10 or 20 years, it will play a major role in defining the most powerful nations or even the people.
    I am personally interested in politics.. and have been choosing my career path accordingly - engineering, now finance and then later politics. And so that I dont get into trouble at that level - i.e. if I make it - good credentials are required. U have to be a good chess player to have the world as your chess board..! It is challenging and therfore interesting.
    Perhaps you're right. We're all more or lessa fter power, and I lie ambitious ppl like you. And you can fear for your life without being in the oil business, if you're a very rich IBanker I'm sure you gotta watch your back...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.