Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    On the way there
    The town looked alright coming from east London into Essex. A lot of green spaces, farms and yellow daffodils, If you like that sort of thing. The most striking thing was the towers, I instantly recognised them, even from a distance,(If you ever get lost follow the north tower ). We approached the visitors car park and made our way towards the reception

Impression of Campus

The campus was quite empty because it was the Easter holidays but from what I saw the people seemed very kind and bubbly especially our tour guide :rolleyes:
    The buildings from the outside looked very shabby and they put me off initially. However as soon as I saw what the university had to offer I quickly put my doubts aside , it’s the inside that counts and that certainly made up for the outside. A lot of building work was going on, trying to make it look nice, ready for the new undergrads. Apparently they’re building a new lecture hall to house 1000 students :eek:, impressive since most courses have a maximum of 500 students. However the picturesque ponds and ducks added a nice touch of country.

Academic facilities
    The library had a very scary elevator there is only enough space for one person and there isn’t a door, its an open elevator :eek: I guess you get used to it. Plenty of computers around all supported with broadband and a study area for those passionate about their studies. Expect more people during exam time, cramming is a fine art here, according to my tour guide :rolleyes:

Student Union
    Every thing you need is on campus, Clubs, Bars, Arcades, Restaurants and Banks. Although a word of warning if you have an account other than Barclay’s or Lloyds your going to have to go into town to get your money. The restaurants were not open when I went but from what I saw there didn’t seem to be that much variety, mostly fast food or curry’s. The accommodation is self-catering so if you don’t like any food on campus you have the opportunity to flex your culinary skills.
    Wahoo, they have a radio station but I didn’t get to see it, however I did see the club, or should I say the "underground restaurant by day", "club by night" :p:
    According to my tour guide the university has a very active society and a mix of people on campus, which is ultra faboo (my new word).
    For you fitness freaks there is a gym available to work out, they have everything from a climbing wall to a sauna but unfortunately they do not have a swimming pool, worry not there is a leisure centre in town .

Accommodation
    I actually got to see the infamous towers (is it party central ??? Yep pretty much), on the south side of the campus. Anyway I was very impressed by South Courts it had a very spacious room (I've never had a big room or my own shower and toilet so I was happy). Unlike the towers there were no lifts so we had to walk up 3 flights of stairs :eek: After this I made sure to ask if the was a gym, If I have to climb those stairs again I’m gonna be prepared because that was a serious workout (Gets out the Taebo). Anyhoo All the kitchens were quite nice, spacious and a lovely shade of blue,& fully equipped with the essentials. Before SC we went to the Towers, :eek:, I think I went to the eighth floor. The rooms were tiny, so was the shower (I only saw one) and the Bathroom (keep in mind 16 people per floor). I'm very sociable but I need my space, so I might put SC as my first choice. FYI the rooms are quite close together and the corridors are not in one straight line. From what I saw they seemed a little cramped and our tour guide got a little bit lost looking for the exit. Good Points: they have lifts

Added bonus
    Colour coordination of the campus to make it easier to navigate your way around, mixed environment different types of people , radio station (yay), underground club And get ready... a barbecue next to the river

Overall
    I was impressed by what the university had to offer I would’ve liked to have seen more but our hour was up (it went by so quickly). Downside for me, basically the outside appearance of the campus it needs a lot of TLC. I am happy that I selected this university and I am definitely putting it down as an insurance. Ooh almost forgot there is a local tesco near by.

I hope you find this helpful especially for those who haven’t been able to visit.

Goodluck on your revision

Here's a link to see some of the stuff I saw
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=O-dxtrQoX...ty20of%20essex

ReputationRep:
    I'm pleased you liked the uni. If you plan to join some clubs or are good at making friends then definately stay in South Courts. Really good accomadation and my flatmates are ok but to be honest I don't go out with any of them. I made almost all my mates through footie, which is a great way because the team has 200 members. Dont even consider the houses as they are mush. It really depends on your life style as to where you live. Another thing to bare in mind is that the uni is small which has many advantages but also disadvantages. Nights out on campus are pretty good although very repetitive. They are supposed to be doing up the underground but im not holding my breath.

Colchester is good for shopping for its size, it has all the main shops my home town of Leicester has although scalled down. It isnt a place you go for a wounder and a coffee but its ok. Nights out are ok, only one club worth going to called Route although that is subjective. There is swimming and bowling about a 10 min car ride from uni which I use regularly. Wivenhoe is nice for a break, has about 10 pubs which are all villagey and a reasonable curry house, decent fish and chips too.

I know you didnt ask for information but I'm bored so I thoght id give you some! Let me know if you want more! (e.g. pool 70p, Grolsch 1.90)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your input
    What do people on campus truly feel about the reputation of the university?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh this thread brings back happy memories of many a gig in that dingy underground venue - sigh

I love the essex campus!

ReputationRep:
    I am going to repeat my first year this year, so technically i am going to be a fresher. I only did 4 weeks and dropped out. But i am going to really go for it now. I stayed in sc they are wicked, I went on so many open days before hand i knw the uni like the back of my hand im that sad! The towers aren't really that bad once u live there, my friend is in eddington tower flat 8 and its quite nice, the kitchens can get horrendous at times, and the bathroom isnt all that but u aint gonna spend all year in there. Anyhow my preference is SC anyway, cos i love space! I stayed in Harwich court when i lived there for my 4 week random first year lol, Thats the big circle one, i had the ground floor flat which is meant to be designed for disabled and it was massive! But someone i dont like from upstairs got my room when i moved out grrr!

I am babbling a bit sorry. I definately gonna be a tour guide next year, it looks fun!

I heard bout the underground should be revamped by the time i get back in october.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind me asking why did you drop out

ReputationRep:
    aaww thanks for all those details !!
    The uni sounds cool..but very diffrent from France universities..
    It seems that in England you are always stucked in the campus..i mean most of the time. In France there is not much campus..which i think is good, you eat, shop and everything in the town..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanae)
    aaww thanks for all those details !!
    The uni sounds cool..but very diffrent from France universities..
    It seems that in England you are always stucked in the campus..i mean most of the time. In France there is not much campus..which i think is good, you eat, shop and everything in the town..
    Not really there are two types of campuses in england. Usually a campus university is located in the countryside area. But in big cities such as london you hardly get any .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beatnik87)
    [B][U]
    Academic facilities
    The library had a very scary elevator there is only enough space for one person and there isn’t a door, its an open elevator :eek: I guess you get used to it. Plenty of computers around all supported with broadband and a study area for those passionate about their studies. Expect more people during exam time, cramming is a fine art here, according to my tour guide :rolleyes:

Student Union
    Every thing you need is on campus, Clubs, Bars, Arcades, Restaurants and Banks. Although a word of warning if you have an account other than Barclay’s or Lloyds your going to have to go into town to get your money. The restaurants were not open when I went but from what I saw there didn’t seem to be that much variety, mostly fast food or curry’s. The accommodation is self-catering so if you don’t like any food on campus you have the opportunity to flex your culinary skills.
    Wahoo, they have a radio station but I didn’t get to see it, however I did see the club, or should I say the "underground restaurant by day", "club by night" :p:
    According to my tour guide the university has a very active society and a mix of people on campus, which is ultra faboo (my new word).
    For you fitness freaks there is a gym available to work out, they have everything from a climbing wall to a sauna but unfortunately they do not have a swimming pool, worry not there is a leisure centre in town .

Accommodation
    I actually got to see the infamous towers (is it party central ??? Yep pretty much), on the south side of the campus. Anyway I was very impressed by South Courts it had a very spacious room (I've never had a big room or my own shower and toilet so I was happy). Unlike the towers there were no lifts so we had to walk up 3 flights of stairs :eek: After this I made sure to ask if the was a gym, If I have to climb those stairs again I’m gonna be prepared because that was a serious workout (Gets out the Taebo). Anyhoo All the kitchens were quite nice, spacious and a lovely shade of blue,& fully equipped with the essentials. Before SC we went to the Towers, :eek:, I think I went to the eighth floor. The rooms were tiny, so was the shower (I only saw one) and the Bathroom (keep in mind 16 people per floor). I'm very sociable but I need my space, so I might put SC as my first choice. FYI the rooms are quite close together and the corridors are not in one straight line. From what I saw they seemed a little cramped and our tour guide got a little bit lost looking for the exit. Good Points: they have lifts

Pretty accurate indeed.. although can i point out that there is space for two people in the lib lifts and they're muchos fun!

The towers have more than one bathroom so you will be sharing with anywhere between 3 other people and 8.

Personally, i've never understood why they show the south towers, they're **** and they're a lot smaller than north towers which have larger rooms. Anyways, towers are party central, so if that's your thing towers are the way forward!

Glad you liked essex

ReputationRep:
    i would prefer to go to london then

but essex aint far away anyway !!

ReputationRep:
    What universities have you got offers from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beatnik87)
    If you don't mind me asking why did you drop out
    I dropped out because i wasn't ready for it. I hadn't studied Languages in full time education for 2 years. I did it in evening classes. When i got to uni, and my french class, everyone was so much better than me. And my teacher was very rude to me about that. I had a huge confidence knock, and i got scared that i couldn't do it. I was in tears most nights, when i should have been working my butt off getting my french up to scratch. I had many doubts of what i should be doing because of it, and in the end i decided to Intermit, which gives me a year out, and i return in the next year, fresh!

I have still been in touch with my friends whom i met in the four weeks, i regulary visit and go out clubbing. I have been studying french in evening classes again, and doing my homework. Which i hope will be enough for when i get back. The idiotic thing i did, was not ask my flat mate who was fluent in french, and spanish for help!

I am scared i'll screw up again, and that i'll fail everything. But if i dont go back i'll regret it. I want this degree more than anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tuppence14)
    I dropped out because i wasn't ready for it. I hadn't studied Languages in full time education for 2 years. I did it in evening classes. When i got to uni, and my french class, everyone was so much better than me. And my teacher was very rude to me about that. I had a huge confidence knock, and i got scared that i couldn't do it. I was in tears most nights, when i should have been working my butt off getting my french up to scratch. I had many doubts of what i should be doing because of it, and in the end i decided to Intermit, which gives me a year out, and i return in the next year, fresh!

I have still been in touch with my friends whom i met in the four weeks, i regulary visit and go out clubbing. I have been studying french in evening classes again, and doing my homework. Which i hope will be enough for when i get back. The idiotic thing i did, was not ask my flat mate who was fluent in french, and spanish for help!

I am scared i'll screw up again, and that i'll fail everything. But if i dont go back i'll regret it. I want this degree more than anything!
    Cool its good your giving it another shot.

I decided to bump this page for anyone who needs abit more info

ReputationRep:
    Just thought i'd bump this thread up for people who haven't been able to visit the uni.

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in Essex too.For 2008 undergraduates. Just 1 question,how far is it from London?
    by the way,the decription was lovely!

ReputationRep:
    50 minutes by train.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beatnik87)
    On the way there
    The town looked alright coming from east London into Essex. A lot of green spaces, farms and yellow daffodils, If you like that sort of thing. The most striking thing was the towers, I instantly recognised them, even from a distance,(If you ever get lost follow the north tower ). We approached the visitors car park and made our way towards the reception

Impression of Campus

The campus was quite empty because it was the Easter holidays but from what I saw the people seemed very kind and bubbly especially our tour guide :rolleyes:
    The buildings from the outside looked very shabby and they put me off initially. However as soon as I saw what the university had to offer I quickly put my doubts aside , it’s the inside that counts and that certainly made up for the outside. A lot of building work was going on, trying to make it look nice, ready for the new undergrads. Apparently they’re building a new lecture hall to house 1000 students :eek:, impressive since most courses have a maximum of 500 students. However the picturesque ponds and ducks added a nice touch of country.

Academic facilities

Student Union

Accommodation

Added bonus
    Colour coordination of the campus to make it easier to navigate your way around, mixed environment different types of people , radio station (yay), underground club And get ready... a barbecue next to the river

Overall
    I was impressed by what the university had to offer I would’ve liked to have seen more but our hour was up (it went by so quickly). Downside for me, basically the outside appearance of the campus it needs a lot of TLC. I am happy that I selected this university and I am definitely putting it down as an insurance. Ooh almost forgot there is a local tesco near by.

I hope you find this helpful especially for those who haven’t been able to visit.

Goodluck on your revision

Here's a link to see some of the stuff I saw
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=O-dxtrQoX...ty20of%20essex

what do you mean, no door? sounds like some kind of ride!haha

ReputationRep:
    the library is HAS a two person lift called a paternoster, it continuously rotates on a cycle and you hop on and off it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paternoster

here there is a picture of the essex paternoster lift

http://libwww.essex.ac.uk/tour.htm

ReputationRep:
    That is certainly weird, but i love it!haha. cant wait to try it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 16, 2007
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.