Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Have you got a car? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I bought a car today.:eek: SOOOOOOOOO nerve wracking. I collect it tomorrow. Can't wait to get it home! Its a clio, only 18000 miles on the clock. Its red, . I don't mind red, it just not my ideal choice but i'm going to love this car. i'd rather have a red car than no car!!! Have memorised the number plate already!!!

ReputationRep:
    At least with a red car, you're more likely to be seen.

Congrats! I can imagine you must be really excited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coss)
    Its a clio, only 18000 miles on
    so it's either a newish one that cost some serious coin (for a student)..

or its an old one owned by an old lady or something..

if it's the latter get it properly checked out ASAP..

i bought a 14 year old citroen AX with only 13,100 miles on the clock... after 15,000 the cam belt went coming off the M5 into exeter services... and destroyed my engine.. £442.39 for the head to be replaced :eek:

point being.. if its been sat around for a long time not doing very much then it hasnt been doing what it's been built for and slow disintegration may have begun to take place..

peace.

ReputationRep:
    Good point there Hager.

Around Xmas time I bought a 1.2 Corsa, (R reg/7 years old) with one old lady owner from new. It had only done 26k miles, now it's done 28k of hard miles, it's probably wondering what's going on

My point being that just because it's done low miles doesn't mean it will be about to throw a rod through the block.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HagerVor)
    i bought a 14 year old citroen AX with only 13,100 miles on the clock... after 15,000 the cam belt went coming off the M5 into exeter services... and destroyed my engine.. £442.39 for the head to be replaced :eek:
    :eek: Is that it! Peugeot wanted £3200 just for the Cylinder head and accompanying parts (such as mud galleries), Exc. Labour.

I can't believe it only cost you 442 quid, it must be reconditioned. The cylinder head is normally a K at the least and then rising depending on what parts you need with it (adjoining parts).

Well done on the purchase of your car :top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    :eek: Is that it! Peugeot wanted £3200 just for the Cylinder head and accompanying parts (such as mud galleries), Exc. Labour.

I can't believe it only cost you 442 quid, it must be reconditioned. The cylinder head is normally a K at the least and then rising depending on what parts you need with it (adjoining parts).

Well done on the purchase of your car :top:
    probably reconditioned.. but as long as it works.. i dont really care lol

its just a car to tie me over until after uni

i want an old VW autosleeper after that lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm buying a new car on Saturday...WOO
    I'll be by first one, so I'm terrified. If anyone's got any advice on which car is best out of these two (obviously hard without actually seeing the car :p:) then that'd be ace.

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD...a?id=299767011
    1997 VAUXHALL Corsa 1.2 LS,
    P reg. 79000 miles, 3-door, satin red, MoTd March 07, colour coded bumpers, very low insurance, excellent all round condition, safe reliable car. £1,150

Aaaandd...

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD...a?id=299759877
    VAUXHALL Corsa 1.4 GLS 5dr,
    M reg. 76000 miles, excellent condition inside/out, 11mths MoT, lots of new parts, Metallic Burgandy Red, full/Vauxhall/s/history, pas. £950. ono

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I just got a car. It's a BMW M3 convertibe. Black metallic. 90'000 kilometers on the clock. Got it for a rally good price. Definately loving the car.
    Atlhough I am not sure it was that smart move bying it since I will be moving to the UK in septemeber

Well I can easily sell it or keep it for holidays while I am at uni I guess.

I can definately recomend BMW. Superior engine and superior quality. Those Germans can definately build cars!

ReputationRep:
    Superior engine and superior quality. Those Germans can definately build cars!
    lol, sorry but for that money. You could have probably done alot better. Like an older M5

ReputationRep:
    Yes, a Nissan Latio Sport. Excellent car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Konstantine)
    I'm buying a new car on Saturday...WOO
    I'll be by first one, so I'm terrified. If anyone's got any advice on which car is best out of these two (obviously hard without actually seeing the car :p:) then that'd be ace.

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD...a?id=299767011
    1997 VAUXHALL Corsa 1.2 LS,
    P reg. 79000 miles, 3-door, satin red, MoTd March 07, colour coded bumpers, very low insurance, excellent all round condition, safe reliable car. £1,150

Aaaandd...

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD...a?id=299759877
    VAUXHALL Corsa 1.4 GLS 5dr,
    M reg. 76000 miles, excellent condition inside/out, 11mths MoT, lots of new parts, Metallic Burgandy Red, full/Vauxhall/s/history, pas. £950. ono
    If it was me, i would go for the younger car. saying that, there is much in it. Make sure you get them properly checked over. You can go on various websites to see how many owners, whether they've been in serious accidents etc. You need to see.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=HagerVor]so it's either a newish one that cost some serious coin (for a student)..

or its an old one owned by an old lady or something..QUOTE]

It was a policeman's car. He drove to work and back in it. He wanted a newer car so took it back to the dealer - part-exchange i suppose. It did cost a fair bit but my parents helped me out a bit . I want to be able to keep it for a fair amount of time so it needs to last.
    Yes, it is fairly new. 52reg.
    τequιıasunrıse - Yes i am really excited. I have now got it and am getting used to it - slightly different clutch to what i'm used to but getting there. Love it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coss)
    If it was me, i would go for the younger car. saying that, there is much in it. Make sure you get them properly checked over. You can go on various websites to see how many owners, whether they've been in serious accidents etc. You need to see.
    The guy from the first car told me he's got a HPI check on the vehicle and it's all good. It's a trade listing on autotrader.

Eurgh. I really want it =[

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTF)
    lol, sorry but for that money. You could have probably done alot better. Like an older M5
    What money exactly? I didn't even mention how much it cost and no i could not have gotten a better deal. And I assure you that it is worth more than an "older" M5.

The year model is 2001.

ReputationRep:
    Im saying an older, tidy M5 would be better than a new M3 imo. But you probably just want to drive around without a roof

ReputationRep:
    Will teenagers stop buying corsa's please.

Congrats on the new car. A car is like a best friend, forget about the dog! It saves you an unbelievable amount of hassle, especially when its pouring with rain and those sods at work gotta catch the bus and walk half a mile, and you got your lovely heater and stereo...

ReputationRep:
    LOL if teenagers stop buying Corsas then who will buy them? They're only good for expensive to insure people with no no-claims discount.

ReputationRep:
    Talk about teenagers buying cars - I met a chap yesterday (22 yrs young), semmed like a top guy and was proper down to earth. Asked him if he wanted a lift anywhere after, to which he responded: 'na I have a car, but thanks'. I thought fair enough. As I continued to walk up the road with him, the indicator lights on a Lamborghini Gallardo come on. Yep - it was his :eek:

Now thats completely different level. I can only presume its something to do with Daddy, but he really didn't seem that way :confused:

So then SWE Ranger - can you say you bought your car?

ReputationRep:
    What's with the dissing of the M3 all of a sudden? I wouldn't mind one, depending on the price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snmichaels)
    What's with the dissing of the M3 all of a sudden? I wouldn't mind one, depending on the price.
    I would love one. No quibbles. Just wondering if Mr SW Ranger bought it.
    A fair few of my friends have very nice cars indeed, and all of them have paid for it with their own cash.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.