Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Will Guild Wars play on this laptop? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm considering buying guild wars, but i'm not sure whether it will play on my laptop. Any help will be appreciated.

Dell Inspiron 1200
    Specs:
    Intel Celeron M
    1.30 GHz processor
    256 MB RAM
    About 5GB free space
    XP (SP 2, blah)

I'm willing to upgrade the RAM if neccessary.

My main concern is the oboard graphics though, which I know nothing about:
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
    It is supposed to be a huge improvement on what Dell used to use, but i'm still not entirely sure whether it will play Guild Wars, and the guy in the computer shop had no idea about it's ability.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. I have an elderly laptop with integrated graphics which used to just about run it on lowest quality settings. However, yours is even worse :p:. So i imagine it would really struggle. Particularly if the onboard graphics are having to share that 256 of ram, which isn't really enough in the first place. I don't know about your graphics card specifically, though, so don't just take my word for it, but i don't think you'll be able to play GW.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Tom.

Anyone know anything about this graphics card then?

I found loads of info about it here, but being as useless as I am with computers, none of it really means much to me :p: :
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/chi...lay/i915g.html

ReputationRep:
    You definitely need more RAM, minimum 512mb rec. for XP, especially as that graphics card is integrated so it will use your RAM, so even more might be advisable 756mb if you can afford it.
    edit: Actually im not sure that gfx card is capable even with the extra ram.... im sure someone else will know though.

ReputationRep:
    I would have to say no.

The onboard graphics card is the problem. Integrated cards usually perform poorly for games. RAM is easy to upgrade but the graphics card would probably be very difficult to upgrade on a laptop.

Even though you say 256 MB RAM, onboard cards like this eat a chunk of the RAM like swiney said, so you unfortuantely don't even have 256 MB of useable RAM. More likely 224 MB with 32 MB for the graphics (right click My computer > properties to find out.)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 14, 2006
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.