Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well, the damn clutch cable snapped today. Was sitting in traffic on the A406, just before the Chiswick roundabout. Had it in 1st gear with the clutch in, when I heard a thump and the pedal just dropped and wouldn't come back up. It sucked, sitting there, blocking traffic and couldn't get it into gear.

Well, to try and not make the traffic worse, I thought I would try and get it out the way. But the section I was on was slightly up hill, and there was no way I was going to get as far as I needed by myself. So, I turned the engine off, put it in 1st and started the car back whilst giving it a little gas. Luckily my battery and starter motor are in good working order and were strong enough to get the car driving again. I was able to drive fine without using the clutch, even got it to 3rd gear. I was able to change gears without the clutch by just matching the revs with the speed and the lever just slid right into gear. This was fine so long as I didn't come to a complete stop. If I stopped, I had to turn the engine off to get it into 1st again.

But, I was able to get about 100 yards and pulled over and parked next to the Honda dealership on Power road, by that racewear shop with the big F1 car on the front. Phoned Brittania, they came in about 40 minutes, towed me to our garage/shop. The garage had been phoning around trying to locate a clutch cable, but no one had one. And everyone's closed tomorrow, and won't open 'til Saturday. So, I'm car-less 'til then. > Oh well, have to get on with school work anyway.

Thanks for listening.

ReputationRep:
    That must have been a fun experience - driving with no clutch is not something I plan on trying any time soon! Nice to know it's possible to do though.

I hate breaking down in traffic - my car had been on a three day offroad expedition and performed flawlessly the whole time, despite having been drowned a few times. However, at the busiest point on the drive home during rush hour, it decided to stop completely blocking an entire lane.....it pissed a lot of people off. 5 minutes and half a can of WD40 over the dizzy saw it running fine again though!

ReputationRep:
    Man that happened to me on A3 I realised it had gone when I had to slow down at a roundabout, it was my first car as well and I was still new driver. I eventually stalled and just sat there while traffic built up behind me horning. I wasn't member of any motor rescue service my parents were at work and none of my other friends could drive. Eventually some nice guy came and helped me push car into a Esso 20m down . It was the worst embarrassing driving experiences I've ever had.

ReputationRep:
    Luckily I was at a part where it was 2 lanes, so I put my hazzards on while I thought of what to do. It's funny, a guy sees every other car in front of him, indicate and go around the stationary car ahead with it's hazzards on (me), yet still pulls all the way right up behind me and has a frustrated look of confusion, completely confused why I'm not moving. :rolleyes: It took him a minute but he finally realised my car was broken down.

ReputationRep:
    My most embarassing driving moment was running out of fuel, 20m from a petrol station, which was up hill and I couldn't get the damn car up there! . I pushed and pushed and it just stood there, almost going backwards. Luckily some random guy pulled over and helped me. I swear, the Golf has to be the only car that has a fuel gauge that when it's on E, it's definitely EMPTY! No dummy gauge there that gives you another 30 miles or so.

I take it back though, the most embarassing car moment was when my Mustang was running hot once, so I pulled over to add some water. (there was a known coolant leak from the freeze plug that I hadn't changed yet) Stupid me wasn't thinking and forgot to let it cool down for a little while before I took of the radiator cap. I felt the cap, and it wasn't even that hot, but when I just turned it enough to come loose, a 3 foot geyser of boiling hot green coolant/water shot me right in the face! It didn't do any damage, it only hit me for a fraction of a second, and I was already moving out of the way. My friends were in the car and they thought it was the funniest thing they'd ever seen. I was laughing pretty hard too on the way back from A&E (J/King ).

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.