Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have the queue thing as well. There are two tills, I'm serving at one whilst the other is being cashed, hence a sign "Till Closed" where the price comes up. So our customers, being the intelligent bunch of rich idiots that they are, decide to queue at both and have a go at me when I'm serving someone who joined the right till. Can't they see someone isn't serving there?

Oh and we always get some idiot complaining at the prices. Yeah, we charge high prices, because our customers are rich idiots who know no better. It's called staying in buisness when there's a Tesco's and a One-Stop half a mile in either direction. Don't have a go at me, the prices are decided by headquarters in London or wherever, I'd love to lower them so that you'd stop pestering, believe me it would be so worthwhile, but whatever you say I can't do a thing about it. It's not my fault we sell coke bottles for a pound, or three dove soaps for 99p and one dove soap in a box for £1.20! No one is forcing you to come here.
    Now get out of my shop you hideous old man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deary_ma_leary)
    eh?
    we have all gave you the name dave

ReputationRep:
    i work in a shop and its surprising that the majority of people are totally incapable of filling in lottery tickets- the number of people who cant count to 6 numbers or mark the rong day then shout at me is unbelievable. also wen people come in and buy a bag of crisps with a £20 note has to be of the most annoying things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    we have all gave you the name dave
    and i make up sick stories about my family and friends?

ReputationRep:
    Ypu had to pay for walk outs!! What if it can to like 50 quid!! It aint your fault!
    Yeah I couldn't believe it when they told me! If it comes to £50 that's your problem, apparently the tables in your area so it's your responsibilty and u should have been keeping an eye on that table. Which is pretty hard if your in the kitchen getting food to take out or getting drinks from the bar or serving another table.

ReputationRep:
    Awww, hugs to everyone who has nasty customers I've read all your stories and they're nasty!

I used to work in student services at a local FE college. During the summer my main job was enrolling people on part time courses and taking their payment. Enrolment is on a first come, first served basis, and yet some people will still come in the day before a course starts and have a go at me because it's fully booked already! One woman in particular got to me - she had done beginners' French the year before and wanted to enrol on part 2. Now French courses are very popular (though not as much as Spanish) as well as quite good value for money and book up quite quickly. This lady came in and tried to enrol; I checked how many places there were and told her that unfortunately the course was full, but if she liked I could take her name and phone number and she would be contacted if a place became available (which quite often happens - people drop out early on).

She didn't like this. She started to rant about how she'd had to hassle to get on one last year, and how so many people had dropped out that there had only been 12 by the end of the year, and I was being a ***** not just squeezing one more person in.....In my politest possible voice (I was seething by now) I said that we weren't allowed to put extra people on courses; the teacher sets how many there are, and we can't put any more in. I repeated that she could go on the waiting list, but she just said "So you're telling me I can't do the course?" I said "Well no, I can't enrol you today but I can pu..." she butted in "I'm disgusted. Completely disgusted. I won't be coming back here," and stomped out, ranting about how disorganised the college was and how nobody should go there... :mad:

The other thing that annoys me is when people on benefits come in and say "I'm on the social, can I do a course for free?"

Yes, you can, but it's a lot more complicated than that, and they don't like it one bit when I tell them all the complications...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deary_ma_leary)
    and i make up sick stories about my family and friends?
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitewitch)
    i work in a shop and its surprising that the majority of people are totally incapable of filling in lottery tickets- the number of people who cant count to 6 numbers or mark the rong day then shout at me is unbelievable. also wen people come in and buy a bag of crisps with a £20 note has to be of the most annoying things.
    Yeah I know what you mean! Grr stupid lottery. what's more annoying is when people buy a 10p choc bar and ask for £50 cash back. We're not a bank!!

There's this man who always comes in, gets a whole load of shopping and waits until I put it all through the till and then I find out there's not enough money on his credit card. So he takes one item off at a time (which means I have to call my supervisor every thirty seconds) until he can afford it all. Grr!

And people always complain about prices to me too. Sometimes when things are on special offer the offers don't come up on the till so they yell at me for overcharging them!

ANOTHER annoying thing is when there is a big queue of people and someone comes up to you and asks you to go out the back and check if you have any more bananas or something. It's like, i'm a bit busy here

Lastly, people who pay for something that's like a pound all with one pence pieces so i have to stand there counting it all!

Ok, rant over

ReputationRep:
    I used to work at Halfords on the till, knew nothing about cars or bikes I was just there to take the money. People used to come up to me and ask "Have you got a bulb for a Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.1L?". Yeah - I have memorised the parts catalogue and know exactly which of our 100 odd bulbs you need and can tell you straight away. Check the customer catalogue right next to the bulbs!

Also some people can be very odd. We would have a 3 for 2 offer on something like Turtlewax cleaning products, and they would just bring 2 items to the till. I would point the offer out to them, a display stand being just a few metres behind them, but they would say that they didn't really need anything else. What? It's free you bizarre person! Just take another bottle of shampoo or something!

Argh there’s so much angst!

Serving customers is what I’m there for; working in retail is what it’s all about… I used to look down on it and think groan can’t be arsed with this but it does give you satisfaction knowing you’ve helped someone while in the mean time helping self confidence, knowledge of the products you sell and make the time go quicker. …So the customers ask the most silly questions but when you make them feel about |-----| < this big it can be satisfying!

I suppose it depends where you work as for how much interest you have, for instance I can’t see myself getting enthusiastic about tins of beans but the latest casual and tailoring fashion! then am not too bad.

You can see I make the most of my job to ensure total fun is had!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    yes
    such as?

ReputationRep:
    I lover serving customers, becuase I work at Myer-Grace Brothers Sometimes im on the register and sometimes I watch the dressing rooms and help people pick out clothes. It's a lot of fun!

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.