Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi,
    was just wondering what the music societies are like in oxford? especially at catz?
    and how about instrumental awards and the auditions for the different orchestras and ensembles? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Hurrah another Muso!! What you play?

There was a thread about this a few months ago: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ght=orchestras

Not particularly comprehensive, but it's a start.

ReputationRep:
    Aha! Cheers fatboy (Clearly born to be a Jesubite )
    Ok well basically college orchestras are for everyone - not every college has them - I have no idea about Catz - but the standard is middling... they pretty much say EVERYONE play so while the standard doesn't get especially low it's not exactly Grade 8 either - may not be true for all (I assume it's the same as chapel choirs in that while the majority are non-auditioning there are some - e.g. New, Merton, Christchurch - where amazingness is a prerequisite!) - but it's certainly been true for those I've played in (I'm a viola player - hence lots of last minute requests to come fill a breach hehe!)

University wide there is a LOT going on. There's an entire room at the freshers fair for music things. Basically at the freshers fair you sign up for loads of stuff, they'll mostly have auditions during freshers week when you have little work - I auditioned for a whole bunch of stuff and then wittled it down later. If you're good but not THAT good (think Grade 7 or 8 but not good enough for the BIG orchestras) then you might want to look at OUPhil and OMU (Millenium Orchestra). Then there are others which are invitation only etc. If you want to get involved in stuff then it's worth putting your details on the OUMS website - thanks to me doing that I've been invited to play in 4 orchestras and a musical - wicked fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Aha! Cheers fatboy (Clearly born to be a Jesubite )
    What Welsh?

Up the Welsh viola players!!! I had a great-great-grandmother whose maiden name was Evans - that's good enough for me!

ReputationRep:
    thanks! i play piano and violin - both with grade 8
    i sing in school chamber choirs and small ensembles
    i lead the schools orchestra and string ensemble as well as being a member in merseyside youth orchestra so in short, i'd love to get into a university orchestra! hehehe
    just a bit apprehensive about the auditions...are they daunting?

ReputationRep:
    What auditions aren't?

I'm sure you'll get into one of the orchestras...if not Oxford University Orchestra (the main one), Oxford University Philharmonic or similar. There's grade 8 and grade 8 so who knows...a big range between someone who just recently scraped a pass at Grade 8 after working their butt off and the other end of the 'post-grade 8' spectrum.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe actually I meant incredibly helpful and friendly - are reputation as the friendliest college is well deserved. Ooo I'm getting all excited about meeting you and chocolatecheese now - pity neither you or she gets a babies' weekend (I've already moaned at Ollie on your behalf hehe!)

To be honest most of the auditions I did were far more relaxed than anything at home. Generally choral ones (NB I'm not a choral scholar or anything but I auditioned - and was accepted might I add - to sing in Merton college choir etc) were just me, one person and a piano. Instrumental ones were a bit more nerve wracking with a panel and stuff but it wasn't too bad really

ReputationRep:
    Just to add to the list of unhelpful people on this thread who aren't actually at Oxford yet, apparently OUO is pretty much diploma standard. I'm also curious as to what the auditions are like as well - are they proper, two contrasting pieces, sight reading etc. auditions or more informal? Because I've heard they're quite short.

ReputationRep:
    Like I just said quite informal
    The most formal one I did was for OUPhil but then I didn't apply for anything like OUO because I knew I wouldn't get in - and yes it is pretty much diploma standard.
    For my OUPhil one I had to do one piece - well I did think about doing two movements but they said they'd stop me so I only played the one I did better - and then some sightreading, and talk a bit about the ensembles I'd played in before

ReputationRep:
    cool thx! i think the OUPhil's prob the one for me - if and when i get my grades obviously! and you never know, maybe i'll even bump into a few of you lol

ReputationRep:
    Hehe actually I meant incredibly helpful and friendly - are reputation as the friendliest college is well deserved. Ooo I'm getting all excited about meeting you and chocolatecheese now - pity neither you or she gets a babies' weekend (I've already moaned at Ollie on your behalf hehe!)

To be honest most of the auditions I did were far more relaxed than anything at home. Generally choral ones (NB I'm not a choral scholar or anything but I auditioned - and was accepted might I add - to sing in Merton college choir etc) were just me, one person and a piano. Instrumental ones were a bit more nerve wracking with a panel and stuff but it wasn't too bad really
    one of the reasons i chose Jesus was because everyone came across really friendly and the porters are lovely (sorry....im kind of spaming the thread ) ....went to Oxford today, and even thought Jesus was closed to visitors the porter let me and my family take a look around and opened up the hall for us really helpful guy. Bekaboo im so jealous of you!!!! i want to be a Jesubite!!!! im scared i wont get AAA ....
    keep moaning at Ollie for us, its much appreciated...i want a babies weekend! :p: i cant wait to meet everyone!!!

i suppose i should say something about music...."wooo! go music!" ...im not very musical but...i can play the triangle (what a talent!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolatecheese)
    one of the reasons i chose Jesus was because everyone came across really friendly and the porters are lovely (sorry....im kind of spaming the thread ) ....went to Oxford today, and even thought Jesus was closed to visitors the porter let me and my family take a look around and opened up the hall for us really helpful guy. Bekaboo im so jealous of you!!!! i want to be a Jesubite!!!! im scared i wont get AAA ....
    keep moaning at Ollie for us, its much appreciated...i want a babies weekend! :p: i cant wait to meet everyone!!!

i suppose i should say something about music...."wooo! go music!" ...im not very musical but...i can play the triangle (what a talent!)

Ooh, Biochem at Jesus - you'll have Prof Ferguson as your tutor . I assume he interviewed you as well!
    I'm good friends with the current 2nd year jesus biochemists and they keep coming out with lots of funny stories about tutes!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, Prof Ferguson interviewed me and will be my tute (as long as exams n stuff go ok) he seems nice, he sent a letter to my headteacher saying thanx for sending me to jesus, it was really nice of him

funny stories...do tell! :p:

ReputationRep:
    ok, so this in some regards isnt the best place to ask as this is about classical music and stuff, but what is the university like for indie music. is it easy to find people interested in doing the whole band thing? is there much of a decent student music scene? also, how divorced are university students from the oxford music scene in general? oxford has soooo many awesome bands, especially if youre into indie rock, math rock, post rock etc, do students tend to spend much time seeing local bands? do student bands tend to play with non student bands much?

damn, im curious today...

ReputationRep:
    one of the reasons i chose Jesus was because everyone came across really friendly and the porters are lovely (sorry....im kind of spaming the thread ) ....went to Oxford today, and even thought Jesus was closed to visitors the porter let me and my family take a look around and opened up the hall for us really helpful guy.
    Hmm probably Geoff... what did he look like? Geoff is lovely. Actually most of the porters are lovely although Rhys (one of the night porters) can be very grumpy but the people who are on the right side of him think he's very nice!

Hehe well in your case it's Hannah I need to moan at :p: - Hannah is the 1st year Biochemist - the other one (there's normally 2) was a guy I met at interview called John and he's @ Peter's cos he didn't make his grades so I think Hannah was a bit nervous about organising a whole thing on her own. In the case of the musicians Ollie is the organ scholar (there is another musician called Zac but he kinda stays out of college) so is pretty damn busy anyway and unless you want to sit in chapel while he plays the organ it'd be kinda dull hehe!

ReputationRep:

Hmm probably Geoff... what did he look like? Geoff is lovely. Actually most of the porters are lovely although Rhys (one of the night porters) can be very grumpy but the people who are on the right side of him think he's very nice!

Hehe well in your case it's Hannah I need to moan at :p: - Hannah is the 1st year Biochemist - the other one (there's normally 2) was a guy I met at interview called John and he's @ Peter's cos he didn't make his grades so I think Hannah was a bit nervous about organising a whole thing on her own. In the case of the musicians Ollie is the organ scholar (there is another musician called Zac but he kinda stays out of college) so is pretty damn busy anyway and unless you want to sit in chapel while he plays the organ it'd be kinda dull hehe!
    yeah it was Geoff! i was trying to remember what he said his name was...i better remember that, seeing as i told him yesturday that i would remember his name for when i come in october. i wonder if he will remember mine?:rolleyes:
    hehe i think i'd be pretty grumpy if i was a night porter...im sure Rhys is nice really

awww tell Hannah not to worry she'll be busy with her 1st yr exams...as for John...does this mean there is a tiny little bit of hope if i miss my grades? (although i really want to go to Jesus as it is THE BEST!)

oh and do you know when freshers week begins this year?

ReputationRep:
    Well I can't give you an exact date because there's this whole business about Oxford students only get like half a freshers week but they want to make it a whole week but as far as I can tell Jesus 0th week starts on the first Tuesday in October - you'll get a letter about it because they stagger when the students come up... although somehow they seem to put all 3 Turl Street Colleges on the same day anyway... smart huh?

As far as John goes yeh I guess it does mean there's some hope - but go for those As anyway hehe!

ReputationRep:
    yeah it was Geoff! i was trying to remember what he said his name was...i better remember that, seeing as i told him yesturday that i would remember his name for when i come in october. i wonder if he will remember mine?:rolleyes:
    hehe i think i'd be pretty grumpy if i was a night porter...im sure Rhys is nice really

awww tell Hannah not to worry she'll be busy with her 1st yr exams...as for John...does this mean there is a tiny little bit of hope if i miss my grades? (although i really want to go to Jesus as it is THE BEST!)

oh and do you know when freshers week begins this year?
    There is only one biochemist at Peters in the 2nd year (because the other missed grades I think), so that is probably why they were able to take an extra one this year. This does sometimes happen, so yes there is hope if you miss your grades - but not always :p:

ReputationRep:
    yeah, thats good putting all the Turl St colleges on the same day
    i hope we do get a whole freshers week!!!

hehe im not planning to get less than AAA...i aint gona risk it...besides, i want to stay at Turl St!!!

ReputationRep:
    Lol we'll take our 'own' freshers week otherwise ...

I've already been pooled (to Jesus) so don't particularly want to risk getting less than AAA!! However, I've done hardly any work over Easter (so much on though )...need to get myself in gear. Will be interesting if we recognise each other (refering to chocolatecheese, Bekaboo and myself) if choc and I both get the grades! Fraid I'm not one for going up to random people and saying 'TSR?' and watch them slowly edge away in a state of total confusion...

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.