student_kyle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
So for the OCR exam in the summer there are a possible 8 topics to choose from regarding the essays. My teacher says that we are gauranteed A if we can basically memorise a perfect essay for 6 or 7 topics...

This shouldn't be a problem for me, but what do you think??
I've got the structure for the essays down perfectly and im writing themm up now
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I memorised the full gamut of specimen questions and answers for AS Politics, because I hadn't the time to adopt a less cynical approach; my marks: 100%, 99% and 93% respectively.

Enough said, I'm sure.
Miss Precious
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
thats what my teacher told us to do as well since the essays questions are phrased in a similar way each year.
lovelee-jublee
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yes I suppose that could work, but I'm personally finding it quite hard to remember everything! In each topic there are 3 (sometimes 4) sub-topics, and questions get asked on those too, so surely it would have to be 'Memorise an essay for each sub-topic within a topic?' :confused:

I'm still really confused as to what the exam actually includes... no-one in my school has really told us! I know there's Section A and Section B questions, but that's about it :confused:

What topics are everyone doing? I'm doing Crime and Education. Wish I was doing Sport
jmj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hi, I'm doing Crime and Sport, but to be honest I find Sport a bit boring lol! Anyway, my Psych teacher for sport told me I should revise essays for all 8 topics within sport and crime in case the only topics I've revised on the paper are one's I'm less confident about, but I'm finding it really hard to revise everything- at the mo I'm making big mindmaps of everything lol.

Here's an overview of what to expect in the day for you lovelee-jublee (like ur user name lol)

You have an hour and a half to complete both topics.
Each topic is split up into parts, section a and section b.

Section a should be 20-30 mins ideally, and has 2 parts to it- a and b. a is describing one of the three sub topics and b is evaluating it.
EG part a in section a- 'describe a theory of personality in crime' and then b could be 'contrast this with other personalities of crime'.

In Section A, part a is worth 6 marks and part b is worth ten.

Section B should be ideally about an hour long. this has 3 parts, part a, part b and c. The wording of the questions a and b are usally the same each time:

a. Describe what psychologists have learned about (topic)- worth 10 marks
b. Evaluate what psychologists have learned about (topic)-worth 16 marks

c is a bit harder, it's a think on you feet question that applies what you've learned to a situation somehow so, for example 'suggest ways of decreasing fear in crime'. This is worth 8 marks, four being explaining reasons- e.g. reduce crime disproportions in the media- and the other four for backing those reasons up with evidence- this can be from a study, a theory or anecdotal evidence- eg 'there was a man who reduced his fear by..'

Hope this helps! :-)
lovelee-jublee
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Thank you very much for that!!!
jmj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ur very welcome- is that ok or is there anything else u need help on- can't help u in education I'm afriad but I do crime :-)
lovelee-jublee
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No that's great thanks!!!

I'm in the process of making Powerpoint presentations to help me revise for Crime, so when I get round to it I'll post them here for other people to revise from. Just need to find out how!!! :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (56)
44.8%
No (69)
55.2%

Watched Threads