student_kyle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
So for the OCR exam in the summer there are a possible 8 topics to choose from regarding the essays. My teacher says that we are gauranteed A if we can basically memorise a perfect essay for 6 or 7 topics...

This shouldn't be a problem for me, but what do you think??
I've got the structure for the essays down perfectly and im writing themm up now
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I memorised the full gamut of specimen questions and answers for AS Politics, because I hadn't the time to adopt a less cynical approach; my marks: 100%, 99% and 93% respectively.

Enough said, I'm sure.
Miss Precious
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
thats what my teacher told us to do as well since the essays questions are phrased in a similar way each year.
lovelee-jublee
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yes I suppose that could work, but I'm personally finding it quite hard to remember everything! In each topic there are 3 (sometimes 4) sub-topics, and questions get asked on those too, so surely it would have to be 'Memorise an essay for each sub-topic within a topic?' :confused:

I'm still really confused as to what the exam actually includes... no-one in my school has really told us! I know there's Section A and Section B questions, but that's about it :confused:

What topics are everyone doing? I'm doing Crime and Education. Wish I was doing Sport
jmj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hi, I'm doing Crime and Sport, but to be honest I find Sport a bit boring lol! Anyway, my Psych teacher for sport told me I should revise essays for all 8 topics within sport and crime in case the only topics I've revised on the paper are one's I'm less confident about, but I'm finding it really hard to revise everything- at the mo I'm making big mindmaps of everything lol.

Here's an overview of what to expect in the day for you lovelee-jublee (like ur user name lol)

You have an hour and a half to complete both topics.
Each topic is split up into parts, section a and section b.

Section a should be 20-30 mins ideally, and has 2 parts to it- a and b. a is describing one of the three sub topics and b is evaluating it.
EG part a in section a- 'describe a theory of personality in crime' and then b could be 'contrast this with other personalities of crime'.

In Section A, part a is worth 6 marks and part b is worth ten.

Section B should be ideally about an hour long. this has 3 parts, part a, part b and c. The wording of the questions a and b are usally the same each time:

a. Describe what psychologists have learned about (topic)- worth 10 marks
b. Evaluate what psychologists have learned about (topic)-worth 16 marks

c is a bit harder, it's a think on you feet question that applies what you've learned to a situation somehow so, for example 'suggest ways of decreasing fear in crime'. This is worth 8 marks, four being explaining reasons- e.g. reduce crime disproportions in the media- and the other four for backing those reasons up with evidence- this can be from a study, a theory or anecdotal evidence- eg 'there was a man who reduced his fear by..'

Hope this helps! :-)
lovelee-jublee
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Thank you very much for that!!!
jmj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ur very welcome- is that ok or is there anything else u need help on- can't help u in education I'm afriad but I do crime :-)
lovelee-jublee
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No that's great thanks!!!

I'm in the process of making Powerpoint presentations to help me revise for Crime, so when I get round to it I'll post them here for other people to revise from. Just need to find out how!!! :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?