Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to ask current York students...do you know anything about how easy it is to transfer from one course to another once you are there?
    Thanks.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    It's possible. I know people who have done it. But that is no guarantee it will always be possible between any two subjects if someone wanted to.

Maybe some more details on your situation would be good. I think you're supposed to be going to uni this Autumn aren't you? And to do English? Is York a serious option for you? What would you do here? What would you want to try and swap to?

The best option over all right now would be to chat to the admission people at York.

ReputationRep:
    I have tried talking to Admissions at York and all they say is 'it is possible but there is no guarantee and we have to assess each case individually.'
    I would be starting with Linguistics/Literature BA LingLit and I'd want to switch to English/Linguistics BA EngLEQ (which is a lit/ling equal degree.)
    I've always wanted to go to York and that's what's making it more difficult. I just don't want to take too big a risk if it means being totally unhappy for 3 years doing a linguistics heavy course.

ReputationRep:
    There is 1/3 more linguistics in the Ling/Lit joint honours.
    The other one is equal.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    It may very well will be possible I'd image, given that it's within the same department. It will, however, require some spaces on the course you want to move to from people dropping out or wanting to switch elsewhere. And also you being picked to swap over if there are more people than places.

I'd say go for it. York is a great uni and the English department is great, so don't miss on it for the sake of doing 1/6 more of your degree in linguistics instead of English for what will probably only be a couple of terms, maybe a year at most

And would it really be that bad if you had the whole degree with more linguistics?

ReputationRep:
    But...I asked for a reassessment of my application for this course about 2 weeks ago and the English Lit admissions tutor said it wasn't possible because all the decisions had been finalised.
    Wouldn't that same admissions tutor decline me once I started?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Affectation)
    But...I asked for a reassessment of my application for this course about 2 weeks ago and the English Lit admissions tutor said it wasn't possible because all the decisions had been finalised.
    Wouldn't that same admissions tutor decline me once I started?
    No, because there might be spaces and changes then. Plus they'd rather keep you once they have you than have you drop out, so they'd be more likely to look at a change once you've started than right now when you'll be just one of many many potential students

Again, I can't guarantee a change, but it's more likely to happen once you've started than now, especially sen as it appears they've finished for the year with admission decisions.

ReputationRep:
    I would advise against assuming that you will be able to switch; there is a relatively strong chance you won't be allowed. A friend of mine was doing History of Art and wanted to combine it with English Lit (he was doing brilliantly on the HoA course and exceeded the grade requirements for English) but was told there was simply no way onto the English course. That said, you would already be within the department, although the linguistics/language and literature side of things are quite separate (from what I can tell). My advice would be not to take up an offer for a course you really do not want to do in the hope you can switch. If it were the case that you would slightly prefer doing the English/Linguistics BA EngLEQ but would ultimately be quite happy doing Ling/Lit then I would suggest you go for it, but you've said you'd be "totally unhappy" on the latter course. This is why I would advise against it. That said, you might go for it and it'll all work out. It's a gamble, but perhaps not a very sensible one seeing as it's to do with your happiness over three years.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm is it really that hard to switch then when the English department is concerned?
    I got yet another e-mail off the Linguistics admissions tutor trying to persuade me (in so many words) to accept his offer.
    I guess it's too big a risk to take.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few people usually drop-out during the first time, so you might stand a chance.

ReputationRep:
    There's no guarantee, but one of my housemates started doing Music Tech (essentially Electronics), changed to Physics, changed again to Maths and has now started his first year again doing Music! It (as with many other questions about subjects) depends on departments, and depends on the circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    A girl in my flat has dropped Economics for Maths at the end of the second term (though she did a joint degree to start) and has been told to catch up over summer. So it might be possible.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't know if it would be worth the risk where the English department is concerned. They seem pretty cut-throat enough as it is.

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with linguistics? oftentimes i wish i did more of it than the third that I do do...

ReputationRep:
    I assume you do the English/Linguistics course then?
    Is it quite over-subscribed?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 24, 2006
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.