The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've phoned the Samaritans. I'd taken an overdose and attempted to kill myself in several other ways I won't detail here. Anyway, it didn't work and I ended up in hospital, yet again, after a failed suicide attempt. That was about 2 years ago now. They were helpful, they didn't tell me what to do other than say than ask if I needed an ambulance, and I said yes, then they just let me ramble to them about everything until the emergency services came, which calmed me down as I was in shock. So they do activley help, and don't just sit there and listen. I found talking to the man from the Samaritans about things much more helpful than when I got the hospital and some psychiatrist woman tried to tell me exactly what I should do with my life and that I was stupid. I phoned because I needed to tell someone what I'd done, I was at home on my own, I was 16, terrified, and I didn't want to phone 999. I wanted someone else to sort that part out for me. So I phoned, told them what I'd done in a mass of tears and panicked like hell. In all honesty, even though the guy hardly said anything, I've never had someone pay that much attention to how I was feeling and it felt like he wanted to help me, and he was helping just by listening.

I understand what El Scotto is saying, but at the same time sometimes people don't want to be told what to do. Sometimes people don't want help, they just want to be heard. Thats what the Samaritans do, they give people a voice. They wouldn't talk to you whist you were trying to commit suicide, that is unfair on the worker from the Samaritans. They will 'talk' to you before, or if you phone after you've tried, but if you're activily trying to kill yourself whilst on the phone they wouldn't.

My mum has done training with the Samaritans, she doesn't work for them though, she works as a therapist at Rape Crisis, sometimes opperating their phone lines. It takes alot, and I really admire anyone who does it as it must be so hard to hear someones pain and not be able to physically help them. The Samaritans aren't their to give advice, there are loads of other help lines for that. They're there just as people willing to listen.
I'm glad you're still here anon, and hope things are better for you now x
Reply 22
Anonymous
I understand what El Scotto is saying, but at the same time sometimes people don't want to be told what to do. Sometimes people don't want help, they just want to be heard. Thats what the Samaritans do, they give people a voice. They wouldn't talk to you whist you were trying to commit suicide, that is unfair on the worker from the Samaritans. They will 'talk' to you before, or if you phone after you've tried, but if you're activily trying to kill yourself whilst on the phone they wouldn't.

No. They don't terminate calls, and they can't phone for help unless you tell them to. (They'll keep suggesting it, but until you agree, they can't do anything). So if you are in the process of committing suicide they will talk to you.
Reply 23
Anon, I am so glad you're better, it sounds like you've had a really rough time.

However, your story does prove my point somewhat. You were clearly in a suicidal state and the Samaritans were clearly helpful to you - but when I turned to them for help, without being suicidal, I came away feeling no better. Once they figured out I wasn't suicidal, they just emailed me saying 'glad you're not feeling suicidal, feel free to email us again if you do'.

Not those words exactly, but you get the picture.

The Samaritans are apparently only helpful if you're suicidal, and couldn't give a flying donkey turd otherwise.
Anonymous
They wouldn't talk to you whist you were trying to commit suicide, that is unfair on the worker from the Samaritans. They will 'talk' to you before, or if you phone after you've tried, but if you're activily trying to kill yourself whilst on the phone they wouldn't.

If someone is actually in the process of taking their own life whilst ringing up, for example they've taken an overdose and rung the Samaritans, they are required to carry on talking to the caller, and be there for them basically until they die.

Samaritans are there to help any callers who have problems, including those which lead to suicide, but just because your not suicidal doesn't mean you can't ring. Samaritans ask callers if they are suicidal in order to help them address the problem, not to try and put ideas into their heads and what not.

Samaritans is a service that provides confidential support to those experiencing difficulties. They help many people everyday. I'm sorry to those who have not found them to be helpful, but I do genuinely beleive they provide a worthwhile service, and have given much help and support.

It has angered me somewhat to read some of your postings on this thread, alot of people have very naive views on what kind of a service is provided and what help it can offer. If it was so unhelpful, surely they would just stop providing help? No. Many people all overthe country (and in some other countries) give up their time and efforts as volunteers, because they know that it is a worthwhile cause, and they want to help people.

If you go ahead and apply to be a Samaritan, I wish you all the best, you do get some bad calls, but you also get some very rewarding ones. You'llmeet new people,and it gives you a broader view of life in general.
Reply 25
lol do you work for them or something?!
I have emailed them a few times, (not suicidal) and have found them to be a great help. It didn't matter that i wasn't always suicidal (in one instant i was stressed over exams and feared being depressed again and they still helped). I think its important to remmeber many people who do contact them are often glad to know that someone is willing just to listen.

Maybe i jutgot lucky :s:
Reply 27
Cheers for this thread, I've just gone and volunteered. I've been thinking about it for a while but some stories on here have pushed me to do it! :smile:
Reply 28
The reason the Samaritans always ask if you are suicidal is because for many people it is the final taboo and they cannot talk about it in their normal circle of friends.It's certainly not because they don't care if you're not.Also they will never call police, ambulance etc without your express permission.
The Samaritans are very helpful, I've found. I've emailed them a lot, suicidal and in other frames of mind, and they are very good.

The thing is, when you ring up the Samaritans, you know that they can't offer answers, and that they aren't trained professionals. Ergo, you can't replace professional help with them.

It is up to you if you call them, totally your own decision. If you know the facts and choose to call/email them anyways,

Working for the Samaritans, Apparently ita a lot of work, but good. You always have support, but one problem is that if you yourself are having a low point, they cut down the amount of work you do - as if they don't trust you. Some people work best during a low point.

Latest

Trending

Trending