Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ulster watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why do some Ulster people seem to feel so entitled to deride 'English *******s'?
    Is there any rationality behind it whatsoever? How are we to have handled the situation any better than we have done? What are we to do in their eyes? Shouldn't they be blaming each other?

ReputationRep:
    They do?

What, all of them?

ReputationRep:
    "ulster people" ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Why do some Ulster people seem to feel so entitled to deride 'English *******s'?
    Is there any rationality behind it whatsoever? How are we to have handled the situation any better than we have done? What are we to do in their eyes? Shouldn't they be blaming each other?
    I don't think they do very often. But then again, there could be a few improvements - Cromwell not burning Irish towns for example.

In the end though, you have no one to blame for your own lot but yourself. I only wish Scotland would discover that fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    "ulster people" ?
    Indeed. Is this people that live in Ulster? Because, yes, there are people there who, shall we say, aren't so keen on the English.

But that's the case in Wales, France, Canada, Papua New Guinea...

I think you need to focus on exactly what you mean here.

Obviously there's a bit of a situation in NI, which makes up a hefty chunk of Ulster, which would probably mean hosility towards the British mainland, but then logically that would largely be from Irish nationalists, if that's what you're getting at. They're not necessarily indicitive of the people as a whole.

ETA: Oh, and it's not just those from Ulster. My aunties from Waterford hate the English too. Hm.

"Ulster people" is a little misleading when talking in the context of which the poster was.

Ulster comprises nine counties, six in Northern Ireland and the other three in the Republic of Ireland.

NI = Fermanagh, Armagh, Tyrone, Derry, Antrim and Down.

RofI = Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan.

Geography lesson over!

ReputationRep:
    The Northern Irish, I was largely referring to

The Northern Irish, I was largely referring to
    OK.

Incidentally, how come you're back so soon - not that I'm wishing you weren't or that you're not welcome?

ReputationRep:
    Because some of them resent being ruled from Westminster - I'm sure you know who I mean.

Other than that, there's the "I hate Southerners/Northerners" divide in England (usually light-hearted, I might add) and similar things between the Welsh/Scottish and the English, so I think the real question is: Why shouldn't the Northern Irish be allowed to do exactly the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    Weak willpower when trying to leave the addictive site. And I'm sure you're not wishing I weren't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smith)
    Because some of them resent being ruled from Westminster - I'm sure you know who I mean.

Other than that, there's the "I hate Southerners/Northerners" divide in England (usually light-hearted, I might add) and similar things between the Welsh/Scottish and the English, so I think the real question is: Why shouldn't the Northern Irish be allowed to do exactly the same thing?
    Sure, but it never seems jokey with them. Although, admittedly I do feel like northerners come from another planet, so can't claim to be free of prejudices.....

ReputationRep:
    I've been living there since September (with a pseudo English accent even tho I'm from Ireland lol) and can't say I've heard much of that....and if I have it's from the real hardcore types. But then the hardcore "we love the Brits" ones say the same about the Republicans being "fenian b*stards" so it evens itself out. I don't think Brit bashing is any more prevalent than Republican bashing.

As for why they do it...well there's a whole lotta history there isn't there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarts_n_Vicars)
    I don't think Brit bashing is any more prevalent than Republican bashing.

As for why they do it...well there's a whole lotta history there isn't there?
    Ah well, I s'pose I'm talking about English bashing as opposed to Brit bashing, which really isn't logical. Either you're for a united Irleand and anti-UK, or you side with England together with Scotland, and Wales. All this loving the Scots but hating us doesn't make sense, unless they're hopping on the Scots hate the English bandwagon, which seems to have not much basis really

ReputationRep:
    Sure, but it never seems jokey with them. Although, admittedly I do feel like northerners come from another planet, so can't claim to be free of prejudices.....
    Shaddup, you English/Southern *******.

See?

Yes, of course there are people who take this bizarre "nationalism" at a sub-national level terribly seriously. There are Scots who REALLY hate the English, and (perhaps less likely) Southerners who REALLY hate the North. But by and large it's just banter that makes a good-humoured mountain out of the molehill of geographical accident.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smith)
    There are Scots who REALLY hate the English.
    I know, I went to uni there:p:

ReputationRep:
    Ah well, I s'pose I'm talking about English bashing as opposed to Brit bashing, which really isn't logical. Either you're for a united Irleand and anti-UK, or you side with England together with Scotland, and Wales. All this loving the Scots but hating us doesn't make sense, unless they're hopping on the Scots hate the English bandwagon, which seems to have not much basis really
    Northern Ireland has much more of a Scottish heritage than an English heritage. Most of the Protestants who emigrated to Ulster in the 16-18th centuries were Scots Presbyterians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Waddell)
    Northern Ireland has much more of a Scottish heritage than an English heritage. Most of the Protestants who emigrated to Ulster in the 16-18th centuries were Scots Presbyterians.
    Well the Catholics there should hate Scots not the English then....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    "Ulster people" is a little misleading when talking in the context of which the poster was.

Ulster comprises nine counties, six in Northern Ireland and the other three in the Republic of Ireland.
    In the modern day, Ulster is often used as a synonym for Northern Ireland. But I generally avoid the term as it can be confused.

Well the Catholics there should hate Scots not the English then....
    Well they've probably blown more of us up per head...

ReputationRep:
    Where is this experience coming from naivesincerity? I have to say any of the nationalist anti-Brit feeling I've come across is just that....anti-British. It doesn't single out England particularly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarts_n_Vicars)
    Where is this experience coming from naivesincerity? I have to say any of the nationalist anti-Brit feeling I've come across is just that....anti-British. It doesn't single out England particularly.
    Very pertinent question. I guess I'm thinking of NIrish from when I was in Scotland. But that would be a selective sample I guess, of people who had chosen to go to Scotland, which might say things about their sentiments towards it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2008
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.