Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, right i need some accomodation advice. I would like to stay in catered halls if i go to Manchester but im having trouble picking my 3 choices. I went to the open house and i liked Woolton Hall and Dalton Ellis but i need a 3rd. Any ideas? Also, what do u think of Woolton Hall and Dalton Ellis, good .... bad? I need the gossip please so i can make an informed decision

And another thing, if i put Manchester down as my insurance, then will i still get into one of my chosen halls if i end up going there or do they only allocate halls to people who have it as their firm choice? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Why not try the accomadation reveiw slightly down the forum?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i already have but they focus mainly on self catered halls. Also, im not sure about the whole insurance/firm choice thing and how that affects it.

ReputationRep:
    I receieved an information pack from them, before I'd accepted them as my Insurance, which had an accomadation form in it.I'm not really sure how it works either, but I expect you'll get a bed somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Lol thanks, i really can't cook so im worried i'll be put in a self catered place somewhere even though i wanted catered. Anyone got any opinions on the best catered halls in Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'll be a fresher this sept. and I'm going for catered halls too.
    My choices are St. Gabriel, DaltonEllis, Ashburne, Hulme. Most likely in that order... although i haven't confirmed yet.

From your Username and avatar, i'm assuming that you're a girl. I didn't go to open day but if you want to be close to classes I think St Gabs is good and cheaper compared to Hulme (which is just nearby) and also slightly cheaper than DaltonEllis (which is a bit farther).
    So if you want to be near classes it makes sense to stay in St Gabs if you don't mind all-girls hall, Hulme if you don't mind expensive, and DaltonEllis if you don't mind a bit far (although in the end its still walking distance to campus). Basically, it boils down to: whether the cost and all-girls is a problem for you. Distance shouldn't be much a problem since they're all near anyways

For fallowfield, i've only considered one... Ashburne seems to be really lovely with big rooms, so again if you don't mind all-girls, its good choice. If you want bit more insight into Ashburne go search up some of Princess Ana's posts. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=10691

Woolton and Allen seem to be quite nice halls too. And most everyone here has said to avoid Owens Park if you want peace and quiet on friday nights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Sparkles)
    Hi guys, right i need some accomodation advice. I would like to stay in catered halls if i go to Manchester but im having trouble picking my 3 choices. I went to the open house and i liked Woolton Hall and Dalton Ellis but i need a 3rd. Any ideas? Also, what do u think of Woolton Hall and Dalton Ellis, good .... bad? I need the gossip please so i can make an informed decision

And another thing, if i put Manchester down as my insurance, then will i still get into one of my chosen halls if i end up going there or do they only allocate halls to people who have it as their firm choice? Thanks
    had some friends used to stay in Dalton Ellis. its a pretty decent hall. Ashburn isnt bad either i heard. not sure about the rest

i think the accomodation office would put firm choices prior to insurance people. thats why they ask you that question on the application form. but it doesnt mean you wont get any hall, just not the ones you want to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mml)
    Hi
    I'll be a fresher this sept. and I'm going for catered halls too.
    My choices are St. Gabriel, DaltonEllis, Ashburne, Hulme. Most likely in that order... although i haven't confirmed yet.

From your Username and avatar, i'm assuming that you're a girl. I didn't go to open day but if you want to be close to classes I think St Gabs is good and cheaper compared to Hulme (which is just nearby) and also slightly cheaper than DaltonEllis (which is a bit farther).
    So if you want to be near classes it makes sense to stay in St Gabs if you don't mind all-girls hall, Hulme if you don't mind expensive, and DaltonEllis if you don't mind a bit far (although in the end its still walking distance to campus). Basically, it boils down to: whether the cost and all-girls is a problem for you. Distance shouldn't be much a problem since they're all near anyways

For fallowfield, i've only considered one... Ashburne seems to be really lovely with big rooms, so again if you don't mind all-girls, its good choice. If you want bit more insight into Ashburne go search up some of Princess Ana's posts. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=10691

Woolton and Allen seem to be quite nice halls too. And most everyone here has said to avoid Owens Park if you want peace and quiet on friday nights.
    from what i know Hulme is a bit far and not that safe compared to other halls you applied.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying. I visited owens park and they only have internet connection in the tower and they don't have shower cubicles with doors, just shower curtains, which kinda put me off :s:

I think im sticking with Dalton Ellis and Woolton Hall but im still not sure about my 3rd one ...... decisions decisions

ReputationRep:
    Hulme hall is safe. I've walked around with my military uniform around an asian area at night and not been knifed or attacked. It's perfectly safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPM)
    Hulme hall is safe. I've walked around with my military uniform around an asian area at night and not been knifed or attacked. It's perfectly safe.
    who would mess about with a military guy? :eek:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 18, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.