The Student Room Group

Pupils who got eight 1s or five As - Awards ceremony and dinner in Edinburgh

My school has told me and my two friends that because we got eight 1s we are invited to an awards ceremony and dinner in Edinburgh. I'm from north Lanarkshire so I'm wondering is this a more national thing or just regional? Has anyone else heard? It's meant to be in November btw :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I hardly got a well done for my 5 As at AS :frown:
Reply 2
I didn't get 8 1's but I live in North Lanarkshire and I never heard about anything like that. But that's cool :biggrin: What school are you from? Congrats for your 8 1s btw.
Original post by amg_22
I hardly got a well done for my 5 As at AS :frown:

I'm pretty sure 5A's in 5Highers is harder than 5A's in 5AS levels.

A dinner? Our school hasn't had nothing like this... (I know I got AAAAa, but my friend got AAAAA, and she woulda told me.) Edinburghs quite far away anyway...
Reply 4
I'm pretty certain this doesn't happen, otherwise there would be 24 people from my year group going down to Edinburgh and we would have known by now. I think it may be just a regional thing.

By the way, what is the difference between AAAAa and AAAAA? Does the small a represent that it's an A band 2?
I'm fairly sure there's no such event. 40% of the pupils in my school got 5 As in their Highers, but have heard nothing about this.
Original post by funky_2cool
I'm pretty certain this doesn't happen, otherwise there would be 24 people from my year group going down to Edinburgh and we would have known by now. I think it may be just a regional thing.

By the way, what is the difference between AAAAa and AAAAA? Does the small a represent that it's an A band 2?

If your referring to me, my small A represents my Int.2.

Original post by ladymarshmallow
I'm fairly sure there's no such event. 40% of the pupils in my school got 5 As in their Highers, but have heard nothing about this.

You must go to a damn good school... Only 3% of people sitting Highers got 5A's IIRC (from SQA documents.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7

seriously? what school are you at? only 5% of my year achieved 5 passes :L
Reply 8
WHAT?! dinner?! I'm from north lanarkshire as well and i've been invited to an award ceremony for getting 5 As but that's just at another high school...all we get is a poxy packet of crisps and a drink :frown:
A large % of people in my school got 5As or 8As at int 2 and we never had anything like that. But that was back in the day, maybe it's a regional thing. I went to a private school though but even my friends at state schools with those grades never got anything and we're in South Lanarkshire.
Reply 10
Many in our school got 5As this year and eight 1s last year, not heard of this at all
Original post by nerd434
My school only had 27 people out of 150 achieving five Highers. With only two of them achieving five A's.

Out of 180, we had 3 AAAAA's. That school has to be insane on the workload... I think.... 30 odd got 5 Highers.... 15 with more than 2A's.
Original post by TheFOMaster
If your referring to me, my small A represents my Int.2.

You must go to a damn good school... Only 3% of people sitting Highers got 5A's IIRC (from SQA documents.)

Well, it's probably also due to the fact that my school is very small - there are only around 200 pupils from S1-S6. :smile:
Original post by deedee123
seriously? what school are you at? only 5% of my year achieved 5 passes :L

My school is very small though! There are only around 200 pupils from S1-S6!
Original post by maxiine_x
WHAT?! dinner?! I'm from north lanarkshire as well and i've been invited to an award ceremony for getting 5 As but that's just at another high school...all we get is a poxy packet of crisps and a drink :frown:

Bet you anything it's really dodgy orange squash :rolleyes:
My school is very small though! There are only around 200 pupils from S1-S6!

Wait... that means your year'll have like 30 people max? Make it 32 for simplicity, that means 8 people got AAAAA, thats really great! Especially for a small school. Is it a private school by any chance?
Reply 16
Original post by Herbadacious
Bet you anything it's really dodgy orange squash :rolleyes:

I'm expecting that or a capri-sun :rolleyes:

It's a regional thing. I was sent to one last year, but it was just a thing where they gave us a certificate and stroked our egos.
I would think its regional (or it happens your marks were exceptional in several exams) as across Scotland a good number each 8 1s and even if only 3% achieve 5As that works out a fair few people! Perhaps its a special school outing or something?
Original post by nerd434
My school only had 27 people out of 150 achieving five Highers. With only two of them achieving five A's.

In my school out of 180, 10 achieved 5 highers with one getting 6 A1s and another 5As :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending