Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Durham are really trying my patience now - I applied last September and my application hasn't even gone to my college yet (if it's going to, that is). Who else has frustrations about this subject?

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends is in the same position- only it's her first choice so she's going slowly insane.

Would you put it as your insurance or are you just waiting for any response so that you can accept Cam?

ReputationRep:
    I'm just waiting for them (and St Andrews) to reply so I can accept Cam, which is an unconditional offer. The situation is just so irritating!

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes I remember now, you're post A-level.

Good luck with hearing from them quickly.

Is it my imagination or did you go away to NZ a few weeks ago?

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm still waiting for Durham psychology and it's my first choice by miles. It's at the college but aghhhhhh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    I'm just waiting for them (and St Andrews) to reply so I can accept Cam, which is an unconditional offer. The situation is just so irritating!
    Why dont you just withdraw you applications from those two places and acceptt your cam one? Surely that would make the universities job easier and you would then have replied to cam...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjf)
    Why dont you just withdraw you applications from those two places and acceptt your cam one? Surely that would make the universities job easier and you would then have replied to cam...
    mate are you related to mjg :confused: :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjf)
    It could also make someone else very happy as they could get the offer you're not interested in anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    mate are you related to mjg :confused: :confused: :confused:
    LOL! God I hope not! No its my initials! Culinary management isnt my forte - veterinary medicine is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjf)
    LOL! God I hope not! No its my initials! Culinary management isnt my forte - veterinary medicine is!
    :rolleyes: hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katini)
    Oh yes I remember now, you're post A-level.

Good luck with hearing from them quickly.

Is it my imagination or did you go away to NZ a few weeks ago?
    Yep, I went at the start of February and got back last week - it was fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    Yep, I went at the start of February and got back last week - it was fantastic!
    Wow! did you travel on your own or with friends? One of my friends who is now at Sheffield has just booked to go there for a month in June. I'm incredibly jealous.

Are you working now all the way through until October?

ReputationRep:
    I went by myself, which was intitially very scary, but NZ is such a safe place and the people are incredibly friendly and helpful, so travelling by yourself is no problem. Unfortunately the weather was terrible - it rained a lot and was rather cold, and it was supposed to be their summer! However, the trip was still great despite that - your friend should have a fantastic time!

Yep I'm working til October now, or pretty much apart from family holidays, but there is just the minor obstacle of actually getting a job to overcome - I'm completely unqualified for anything in retail, never having worked in a shop before, and have a very unhealthy relationship with computers so probably would have trouble getting office work too. I guess I'll just have to rely on my personal charm *cough*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)

but there is just the minor obstacle of actually getting a job to overcome
    You could try care work. They're desperate for people.

ReputationRep:
    I think you might go mad working in a shop for a few months. You don't need any qualifications at all to work in one, apart from the patience of a saint. I worked in Allders throughout year 13 on Saturdays and Thursday nights and then more in the school holidays and I hated it. I was very glad to leave when I started my first full-time job after exams.

Also, usually if you work in a shop you will have to work at least one day of the weekend and then only 4 days of the week- I don't know if you'd mind that or not though.

What were you working as before you went away?

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't working as anything, I was doing unpaid work experience at a copywriting company that couldn'r afford to pay me any kind of wage, so I have to look elsewhere. The problem is that I have managed to reach the grand old age of 19 without ever having had a paid job - everything I've done up to now has been voluntary/ work experience in areas that are totally unrelated to retail or restaurants, therefore I have no experience to make me an attractive employee. I don't mind working at the weekend and during the week; any job at all would be nice!

ReputationRep:
    Is there no way that you could get a job in something similar to the jobs you've been doing voluntarily/for work experience?

Maybe you should go into an agency like Reed and see if they can find you something? Other than that, just apply for everything in the back of the local paper.

ReputationRep:
    Back on topic I think if I don't hear from durham this week I'm rejected because they have to get the letter to you and back before the open days. Not looking good....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    Back on topic I think if I don't hear from durham this week I'm rejected because they have to get the letter to you and back before the open days. Not looking good....
    But if it's gone to the college then it must mean the dept has chosen you to get an offer so it might be taking so long because it's being shoved round the colleges (okay not the nicest of phrases) in order to find some spaces.

Do you think it is worth phoning them up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katini)
    But if it's gone to the college then it must mean the dept has chosen you to get an offer so it might be taking so long because it's being shoved round the colleges (okay not the nicest of phrases) in order to find some spaces.

Do you think it is worth phoning them up?
    Yeah it probably is being passed around a bit but they still would have to get in touch before the open days if I've got an offer. They usually send out the rejections afterwards.
    No, I don't want to bother them.
    Just debating whether to buy train tickets to Southampton.won't know if I'll be working that day until nearer the time.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.