An application of the iodine-thiosulphate titration (hard)- pos rep for helpers Watch

chazzinio
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Theory

the first high temperature superconductors were a group of oxides of yttrium, barium and copper formula YBA2Cu30x. The value of x depends on the oxidation state of the copper. To determine the oxidation state of the copper (and hence x), the copper from the superconductor is reacted with iodide ions. The copper is reduced to Cu 1+ and the iodide is oxidised to iodine. The iodide thus produced is titrated against sodium thiosulphate. n.b. Yttrium normally exists as a 3+ ion. Neither Yttrium nor barium reac with the iodide ions.

Practical

0.0100 moles of the superconductorwere used. The copper in it was reacted with excess iodide ions. The iodine produced was made upto 100cm cubed in a volumetric flask, and 10cm cubed portions were extracted with a pipette and titrated against 0.500 mol/dmcubed sodium thiosulphate. Concordant readngs of 8.00cmcubed were obtained.

Question

Calculate the oxidation state/s of the copper in the superconductor and hence the value of x.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (205)
62.12%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
3.64%
No- I want it (90)
27.27%
No- I don't want it (23)