Turn on thread page Beta

Ireland 19 - England 13 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    Scuse me who was there and i had half the Irish gal nxt 2 me's ref link.

The ref was atrocious he kept slowing down the play, especially when enlgand where moving and was very officious as well. Every time there was any form of set piece he was giving advice to the players and telling them to play nicely etc. Even Clive Woodward mentioned the ref in his speech afterwards. Some of his decisions were absolutely awful,like Ireland knocking it forward and him giving it to Ireland.

And it was a try as well, the replays on the big screen, what he saw did not show that it was not a try - twas one. Stupid Paddies, destroyin our unbeaten run of luck at Twickenham.

Who plays boring rugby then, always going for the penalty rather than the scrum.

Again there was the downside of playing with a relatively inexperianced team and a useless kicker (due to lack of international level practice) Paul Grayson. And Steve Thompson, come on what were those throws. What about Trevor Woodman, every time I see them play, he always gets in trouble with the ref.
    Come the man and come the hour,
    Come the power and the glory,
    We have come to answer our country's call,
    From the four proud provinces of Ireland.

Ireland, Ireland, together standing tall,
    Shoulder to shoulder,
    We'll answer Irelands' call!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Come the man and come the hour,
    Come the power and the glory,
    We have come to answer our country's call,
    From the four proud provinces of Ireland.

Ireland, Ireland, together standing tall,
    Shoulder to shoulder,
    We'll answer Irelands' call!
    Truth be told though, that really is a **** anthem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woodsy)
    no apostrophes for plurals I know. Yet, since there is no such word, you simply have no case.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=paddies&r=67

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    This comment just amuses me greatly. I mean seriously have you ever even played a game higher than school level, if even that?
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    I knew someone would be geeky enough to post a link.

Could we ignore the grammar and concentrate on the offensive nature of the comment?

ReputationRep:
    I knew someone would be geeky enough to post a link.

Could we ignore the grammar and concentrate on the offensive nature of the comment?
    Well said mate, there are people openly using an offensive term to describe Irish people. It is truly offensive to our class and dignity.

Remember some of the greatest writers came from Ireland, Shaw, Yeates, Joyce, Wilde, Heaney. The Island is known as 'the Island of Saint and Scholars'.

You are merely stereotyping everyone, if I called the English 'beer swilling football hooligans' on this site there would be uproar. Which they aren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woodsy)
    Well said mate, there are people openly using an offensive term to describe Irish people. It is truly offensive to our class and dignity.

Remember some of the greatest writers came from Ireland, Shaw, Yeates, Joyce, Wilde, Heaney. The Island is known as 'the Island of Saint and Scholars'.

You are merely stereotyping everyone, if I called the English 'beer swilling football hooligans' on this site there would be uproar. Which they aren't.
    Also well said.

@ Kildare: I like the tune, but the lyrics are pretty cheesy, granted.

ReputationRep:
    Also well said.

Ireland's call isn't the actual Irish anthem though, it's only used because of the fact that some Northern Irish lads play for the team and it would not be appropriate to use the Soldier Song.

ReputationRep:
    Did you know that God Save the Queen isnt the English anthem either? It is land of hope and glory, which is equally as bad
    I actually did not know that, and it comes as a surprise. I was pointing out the fact that at all other sporting events the Soldier Song would be sung for an irish team or athlete etc. I've never ever heard land of hope and glory being sung in the same way.

ReputationRep:
    Also well said.

What did you think of Balshaw?

I honestly believe Woodward's game plan yesterday was to keep the ball alive, but like I stated before, you cant do that without a recognised passer in your team and a winger at inside centre. Woodward needs to smart up.

ReputationRep:
    What did you think of Balshaw?

I honestly believe Woodward's game plan yesterday was to keep the ball alive, but like I stated before, you cant do that without a recognised passer in your team and a winger at inside centre. Woodward needs to smart up.
    Balshaw was abysmal and has been for a while now. All of Englands backs looked average (Robinson included).

Woodwards selection was certainly suspect.

ReputationRep:
    Ireland 19 - England 13 (In reply to: Ireland 19 - England 13)
    *smirks evily and giggles to self*... *then thinks thats she is going to get sharp objects thrown at her.**

Oh come off it! Im still nursing my bitterness of last year!

Hearty congratz to Ireland.

*dodges a volley of pointy objects*

Im allowed to be bitter! lol!

ReputationRep:
    Theres an Eng-Aus test in June.... will be interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, especially Ben Cohen. Last year he would have scored that try in the corner, he seemed to hesitate. He hasnt impressed me since that game in Aus when he scored that great try last summer. Balsahaw is a winger, he is less vunrable there and more lethal, i'd put him in Cohens spot, move Robinson to the wing, Lewsey to fullback, Greenwood outside centre and oh yes Paul at inside centre.

The way the forwards are operating also hinders the back line, they are using the 'pod' system which basically means the backs dont get the ball until the defense is set properly, which quite frankly is useless.
    I'd give Henry Paul (or S-D) a probationary trial (given yesterdays result), and like you said - move Balshaw/Robinson to the wing, and Lewsey at full-back.

As for Ireland: another good performance. Can't wait to see Murphy come back at full-back. Should add to our vastly improved back line. Development of Donncha O'Calaghan and Easterby should mean a world-beating side.

I still firmly believe that we can beat anyone on our day.

ReputationRep:
    **cries weakly* But we have Elton!

WE SHALL SEE!

ReputationRep:
    I'd give Henry Paul (or S-D) a probationary trial (given yesterdays result), and like you said - move Balshaw/Robinson to the wing, and Lewsey at full-back.

As for Ireland: another good performance. Can't wait to see Murphy come back at full-back. Should add to our vastly improved back line. Development of Donncha O'Calaghan and Easterby should mean a world-beating side.

I still firmly believe that we can beat anyone on our day.
    Simpson Daniel hasnt got the passing game, he has got the fancy tricks but not much more. Typical for a boy from Sedbergh I'm quite good friends with his brother Mark, although I have to admit we havent spoke for ages. He is coming on a treat at Sale, probably England next scrum half.

Yes, of course Ireland can beat anyone on their day. Its just I still feel even after this victory they dont feel like they deserve to win if you know what I mean, in the awe of Englands 'greatness', which quite frankly is rubbish, they have been playing badly since that test last June.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    **cries weakly* But we have Elton!

WE SHALL SEE!
    Oh dearly, you know what Andrew Johns does to Queensland in SOO, he would rip England to shreds. Elton doesnt deserve to lace mr Johns boots quite frankly, and I also think that about Wilkinson so i'm not just being a proud pomm.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dearly, you know what Andrew Johns does to Queensland in SOO, he would rip England to shreds. Elton doesnt deserve to lace mr Johns boots quite frankly, and I also think that about Wilkinson so i'm not just being a proud pomm.
    Go THE REDS!

bUT BUT BUT!! I know Elton! he is a very nice person, even if he isnt as hot as George Smith. (excuse the girliness) But yes, i have to say, Jonny is a good goal kicker.

You know what, ive just realised that im the only one of my friends who followes union. Then at World cup time, everyones an expert! God it annoyed me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Go THE REDS!

bUT BUT BUT!! I know Elton! he is a very nice person, even if he isnt as hot as George Smith. (excuse the girliness) But yes, i have to say, Jonny is a good goal kicker.

You know what, ive just realised that im the only one of my friends who followes union. Then at World cup time, everyones an expert! God it annoyed me!

Your not the only one, although I like both league and union. Most of the people on this thread think they know about the game probably because they watched the world cup final or something. I've heard so many comments like 'oh it was such a good game', that is BS, both teams were dreadful and underperformed, it was only good in the sense of the fact that it was a big occasion.

ReputationRep:
    Thats true, i would say soemthign constructive, but i missed the game.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.