Turn on thread page Beta

Ireland 19 - England 13 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Oh dearly, you know what Andrew Johns does to Queensland in SOO, he would rip England to shreds. Elton doesnt deserve to lace mr Johns boots quite frankly, and I also think that about Wilkinson so i'm not just being a proud pomm.
    Tell me more about Mr Johns. After all, a good Australia is good for world rugby.

ReputationRep:
    Origin is like War here.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...ue/1767775.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...ue/3386741.stm

Bigcnee, I would seriously advise watching State of Origin later this year, just to see how he operates even if you cant get into the game of league, he is on another level I assure you.
    Wow... those reports are pretty comprehensive. I hope he transfers to Union.

ReputationRep:
    This comment just amuses me greatly. I mean seriously have you ever even played a game higher than school level, if even that?
    I don't see why that amuses you, as anyone who's ever played at primary school level would be able to tell you why neither of the two attempts were tries. Are you trying to suggest otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    No, they wernt, I never said they were tries.
    Why the random amusement then? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    What did you make of the comments criticising the English defence setup after the game, where the panelists were going on about something along the lines of the 'inflexible rugby league style' defence which allowed Dempsey to score his try (the one where Cohen decided he give him a kick for good measure).

ReputationRep:
    i only saw the last 20 minutes of the game - didn't even realise it was on before i turned on the tv in prep for the Arsenal match...
    as far as I could see, england didnt have someone who could dictate the flow of play in the last quarter - they just kept 'patiently building up', ie just running with the ball. I don't think paul grayson ran the game particularly well - maybe someone else (olly barkley?) should have come on in place of him. That and the ridiculous amount of handling errors caused by the panic that they were losing.
    is that a fair analysis..... and what were the first 60 mins like? i didn't get much chance to see their def at all..

ReputationRep:
    Rugby league defense is better than tradional union defence, period. Every top team in the world has a ex rugby league coach/player as their defensive coach, and that includes Ireland.
    Tis true to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty abysmal. England had more chances to score and should have won despite most of the game being played in England territory. The defence was very impressive for the whole game for both teams.

I'm glad you noticed the panic play at the end. Someone else claimed they didnt lol.
    The amount of handling errors in midfield by the English in the last 20 minutes was simply shocking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    The amount of handling errors in midfield by the English in the last 20 minutes was simply shocking.
    The game was quite physical and eyes often wandered to the oncoming hit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    The game was quite physical and eyes often wandered to the oncoming hit.
    Aye, very true. I think the physical nature of the game also meant that both sets of players were just shattered towards the end.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, very true. I think the physical nature of the game also meant that both sets of players were just shattered towards the end.
    I'm not too sure this explains why Englands back-line looked so 2-D.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty abysmal. England had more chances to score and should have won despite most of the game being played in England territory. The defence was very impressive for the whole game for both teams.

I'm glad you noticed the panic play at the end. Someone else claimed they didnt lol.
    The commentators said Gordon Darcy (the man of the match) had a good game though - apparently he managed to make the england def look pretty stupid at times...

ReputationRep:
    Tis true to be fair.
    Only because 98% of rugby league is tackling practise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    The commentators said Gordon Darcy (the man of the match) had a good game though - apparently he managed to make the england def look pretty stupid at times...
    Gordon's a gem. He always seems to break through at least the first tackle. I think a Lions call-up is probable.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, if Gordan finishes off the season well I'm sure he'll get called up to the squad. I haven't seen an Irish player that quick in ages.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, rugby league teams have a much better defence than union teams, correct. But to beat this defence you need more skillful players. Such players are abundent in league, especially in Aus, quite frankly they put union 'flair' players to shame.
    Hence league is union's baby brother... what's your point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I knew someone would be geeky enough to post a link.

Could we ignore the grammar and concentrate on the offensive nature of the comment?
    I was proving a point. Deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Hence league is union's baby brother... what's your point?
    Depends, in Aus it could be said to be the other way round.

However when looking at the two we could always consider:

League was banned in the armed forces until around the last 15-20 years. This made it very hard for the game to spread.

As above any Union player who played / attended a League match was banned from any Union ground of any note and also banned from playing Union.

Rugby League was the main code in France until the Vichy regime siezed all of its assets and gave them to Rugby Union. There have been programmes on radio / tv about this and there is possible legal action in the pipeline.

Rubgy league was banned in S.A. until the collapse of the old regime.

There is strong favouritism in the media towards R.U. and R.L. is totally under-represented although this is improving. Last year the R.L. Grand Final which was a sellout got a very small write up in The Telegrpah whilst Leeds Tykes V Bath got half a page with a colour photo despite the fact that there was only 4,000 people there.

Most of the media types are public school educated, London based people hence the above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Depends, in Aus it could be said to be the other way round.
    But I am, and will remain, British. Australia can pretend cricket is an action packed sport... I'll still giggle at them. League is no different (to me at least).

People are very entitled to their own opinion. I'm just expressing mine.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.