Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Your opinion is valid. But league is by far the superior sport. And I went to one of the best rugby union schools in the world and grew up with it/played it all my life.
    I was at Uppingham and hated it.

ReputationRep:
    LOL I was out last night around the student areas in Birmingham.

Got quite drunk and for a laugh every time we saw someone in an England RU shirt we asked them to name the "front row".

Needless to say most people had no idea what we were talking about let alone the players in question.

Bandwagon jumpers I tell you...

ReputationRep:
    I dont hate union. I love it, its my favourite sport, but I will defend League until i'm blue in the face because I'm not brainwashed by English media et al and can actually see how much more skill is involved in League.
    No, I mean I hated Uppingham, not Union!

ReputationRep:
    Did you leave before you finnished your exams or something?
    Yea, I left after one year of my A-levels, I just didnt like the mentality of the people who were there.

Sort of place where just walking round in a RL shirt got you snarled at.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. Too many of those about. 'Clearly Jonny Wilkinson is the best player in the world'. Er, I think not.
    Best fly half. IMHO anyway.

ReputationRep:
    And I went to one of the best rugby union schools in the world and grew up with it/played it all my life.
    What school would that be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    I was proving a point. Deal with it.
    It was such a "net" thing to do. Regardless, the orignal comment was intended to be offensive. Actually, I don't give a **** - call us Paddies, we still f***** you up.

ReputationRep:
    What makes me laugh is the fact that RU is becoming more like RL as time goes by. They have already experimented by playing 13 a-side at Cambridge univerisity and have also tried out a minimum offside rule at the ruck. Some circles are also calling for a penalty to be reduced to 2 points although obviously all this is being kept hush hush.

The sin bin and the video - ref were also in RL long before RU although I believe that the latter originated as "the third umpire" in cricket.

ReputationRep:
    Best fly half. IMHO anyway.
    Elissalde and Michelak are better.

ReputationRep:
    The French number 10 has got far more talent than Wilkinson.

When Johns switches code he will leash hell on Jonny 'I can do no wrong' Wilkinson. I actually cant wait to see him get clattered by Johns then watch Johns take the p*ss out of England defense from that very same stand off position. Obviously I'm an English fan, but the English media need a rocket up their backside to show how much better Johns is compared to Wilkinson, and for that I will even go as far as saying I would like Aus to win the next world cup as long as Johns outshines Wilkinson in the final (which he will with no questionable doubt).
    IMHO Johns will not go to RU.

It is / was all just hype and rumor put out by his agent as his contract is up for renewal.

This is of course unless there have been devlopements...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    What makes me laugh is the fact that RU is becoming more like RL as time goes by. They have already experimented by playing 13 a-side at Cambridge univerisity and have also tried out a minimum offside rule at the ruck. Some circles are also calling for a penalty to be reduced to 2 points although obviously all this is being kept hush hush.

The sin bin and the video - ref were also in RL long before RU although I believe that the latter originated as "the third umpire" in cricket.
    Due to your (and Joey_Johns) ramblings, I have decided to give League a try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Due to your (and Joey_Johns) ramblings, I have decided to give League a try.
    Are you serious? And did you intend the pun?

This Saturday would be a good place to start, St Helens V Leeds Rhinos on BBC Grandstand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Are you serious? And did you intend the pun?
    Lol. I didn't mean the pun, and yes I'm serious. I've always known that the hits are much harder in League, but hearing that the best player in the world plays in League has made me very curious.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. Just look at the defence, its blatent RL. Another one is the recent spout of 'crossing', been done in League for years thanks.

I await the 'banana kick' as the next great Union invention, which will be the best thing since sliced bread in the English media. Sad that its been around for years in League now, thank to the mecurial Andrew Johns and Stacey Jones
    LOL the English media hailed the skin tight shirt used in the world cup as a RU invention but the Bradford home shirt around 95/96 was the same.

ReputationRep:
    Elissalde and Michelak are better.
    Mickelak, LOL.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. I didn't mean the pun, and yes I'm serious. I've always known that the hits are much harder in League, but hearing that the best player in the world plays in League has made me very curious.
    State of Origin (Australian competition) must be the toughest matches of any sport in the world. You will have to tune into sky at 9/10am on a Saturday to catch them live but this three match serioes starts some time in the next 6-8 weeks I think.

ReputationRep:
    It was such a "net" thing to do. Regardless, the orignal comment was intended to be offensive. Actually, I don't give a **** - call us Paddies, we still f***** you up.
    Enjoy it whilst you can. You are only as good as your last result... which means for Ireland the only way is down.

ReputationRep:
    Mickelak, LOL.
    He has much more flair and invention. Wilko may be a better kicker, but if Michelak spent as much time on his kicking with Beckham, then maybe he would.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure. I honestly think he will or he would have signed an Extension with the Knights. If I was in his position, I would, he has nothing to prove in League, I just feel he honestly wants to prove him self as the best rugby player of all time, the only way he can do that is by playing both codes.
    Could backfire if he bombs out in Union.

Personally I think that he is looking for a move to SL where he could earn more in his twighlight years and also get a favourable exchange rate against the Aus dollar.

I bet that chairman Mo is keeping a close eye on the situation.

Would not surpirse me if Stacey Jones ended up at Hull at some point too, especially as Ricard Swain is there. It would be better for RL if he stayed in NZ though as he is a well known figure there and to lose him could hard the development of the game.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite surprised, but good for you. I think MArk KK will agree with me in saying your first game should be State of Origin. Perhaps you could watch a top superleague encounter like Wigan Saints or LEeds Bradford which are often cracking games but SOO would give you the biggest eye opener into league, the aussies cant get enough of it lol.
    I think that Saints V Leeds (this weekend on free to air) will be good stuff to watch.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.