Turn on thread page Beta

Ireland 19 - England 13 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    He has much more flair and invention. Wilko may be a better kicker, but if Michelak spent as much time on his kicking with Beckham, then maybe he would.
    Michelak with his performance against England may have lost France the world cup. Does anything more need saying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Enjoy it whilst you can. You are only as good as your last result... which means for Ireland the only way is down.
    I'll settle for the Triple Crown as progress enough. Sure we caught England on a bad day, but I'm confident in our ability to beat anyone. Besides, England haven't impressed me for about a year.
    With the emergence of O'Callaghan, Easterby, D'Arcy, and the prospects of Johnny O'Connor, and Gavin Duffy (watch this space) and Geordan Murphy (IMHO the most talented fullback in Union) I am confident that good times are ahead for Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    I'm quite surprised, but good for you. I think MArk KK will agree with me in saying your first game should be State of Origin. Perhaps you could watch a top superleague encounter like Wigan Saints or LEeds Bradford which are often cracking games but SOO would give you the biggest eye opener into league, the aussies cant get enough of it lol.
    I'm always open to new sports. I've tried watching League before but it didn't do much for me. Perhaps SoO is the way forward. When can I see it?

ReputationRep:
    I'll settle for the Triple Crown as progress enough. Sure we caught England on a bad day, but I'm confident in our ability to beat anyone. Besides, England haven't impressed me for about a year.
    With the emergence of O'Callaghan, Easterby, D'Arcy, and the prospects of Johnny O'Connor, and Gavin Duffy (watch this space) and Geordan Murphy (IMHO the most talented fullback in Union) I am confident that good times are ahead for Ireland.
    If a team can win the World Cup without impressing you... then as someone who isn't English surely that is quite embarrasing?

ReputationRep:
    Michelak with his performance against England may have lost France the world cup. Does anything more need saying?
    Yes. He is infinitely more creative.

ReputationRep:
    He ripped Wales open today on many ocasions. Something I remember Wilkinson struggling with very badly.

I play at outside centre, I'd rather have Mickelak than Wilkinson any day, he actually creates opportunites which are few and far between with Wilkinson.
    Wilkinson wins matches. Michelak loses them.

ReputationRep:
    If a team can win the World Cup without impressing you... then as someone who isn't English surely that is quite embarrasing?
    England didn't fulfill their potential during the World Cup. They ground out boring wins, and the final (although tense) was a poor affair.
    If you can't see that, then you should watch more rugby.

ReputationRep:
    Nice to see you base your opinion on a one-off match. France blow so hot and cold that I don't know how their limbs don't fall off.
    Michelak (on his day) is far better than Wilko.

ReputationRep:
    England didn't fulfill their potential during the World Cup. They ground out boring wins, and the final (although tense) was a poor affair.
    I agree 100%. England have been poor since they played AUS last summer.

ReputationRep:
    Wilkinsons only get out of jail card is his kicking. You've been reading into the English media too much.

ReputationRep:
    Its on in June I think, its a three game series. Check out the aussie websites like foxsports.com.au and smh.com.au , it should give details there.

Seriously, some of the best games I've seen (from entertainment viewpoint) have been in the English Superleague. Remember Joynts last minute try against Bradford MArk a few years ago? Now that was a memorible game
    The semi final with Leeds last year was memorable both in the CC and Superleague playoffs.

One memory that sticks in my head is when Hull were beating Saints in the playoffs and a try was given for Saints despite the Saints winger clearly being in touch and even getting up with whitewash in his hair.

Saints won the game 22-24 or something.

ReputationRep:
    Well from a personal point of view I would love to see Johns in a Wigan shirt And I assure you, the money is there for Johns if he wanted to put on the Cherry and White jersey. That I have been told by you know who. He was a little tipsy but he certainly meant it.
    Salary cap cheating again ? Players wives on the payroll earning 30K a year for doing 1 hr a week office admin by any chance? Players registered as dual code and drawing half their salary from Orrell although never playing a game of R.U.? LOL

And is it true that Furner was knocking off Farrells wife?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Salary cap cheating again ? Players wives on the payroll earning 30K a year for doing 1 hr a week office admin by any chance? Players registered as dual code and drawing half their salary from Orrell although never playing a game of R.U.? LOL

And is it true that Furner was knocking off Farrells wife?
    Not at all. His words were something along the lines of if Andrew Johns wants to put on a Wigan shirt, I would move heaven and earth to get him here. I certainly wouldnt be surprised if the RFL partly funded his contract to be honest, he would be such a crowd puller.

Lol. I've heard that rumour too and no its not true. Terry Newton was a very naughty boy last year though, but I will refrain from saying anything

ReputationRep:
    Wilkinsons only get out of jail card is his kicking. You've been reading into the English media too much.
    Or watching too much rugby...

ReputationRep:
    Surely then you are infact criticising world rugby. England after all could only beat the teams put in front of them... which as I recall they did.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. He is infinitely more creative.
    But he seems to be a sucker for pressure - he messed up hugely the biggest game of his career. Historically, the best athletes from whatever sports perform at their best under pressure.

ReputationRep:
    Surely then you are infact criticising world rugby. England after all could only beat the teams put in front of them... which as I recall they did.
    RWC was a boring affair with the exception of about three or four games.

The group stages were mainly a joke although this is a problem in any game other than football but we still had either one sided tankings or made up nations full of second generation Aussies / Kiwis / Irishmen who wernt good enough to play for their first nation.

I remember Wales putting in a couple of good performances throughout the tournament oh and didnt the U.S.A. beat Tonga or something but does anyone really care?

Sadly I think that it failed to live up to what was expected but with all the hype I suppose it was never going to happen. Watching the England V France semi final was like watching paint dry and despite England winning through it failied to capture my imagination and the imagination of many others.

The final was a tense affair although it didnt justify half the hype that followed.

It is interesting to see that the viewing figures for the tournament as a whole were nowhere near what was expected and Vodafone have since dropped the Wallabies saying that it did not represent value for money.

One of the funniest things about the whole tournament was when England played at Suncorp and the English press started giving out an attendance figure that was actually more than the stadium held.

This was abit like last years Zurich Premiership Final (oh look, another concept nicked from Rugby League) where the attendance was quoted as being 60,000 50,000 and 40,000 depending on which website you visited / paper you read. Someone eventually came clean and we found out that there were like 38,000 people there or something although knowing the way RU attendances get "rounded up" you could probably take 10K off.

ReputationRep:
    Erm.... no.

If anyone watched world rugby before the world cup, they would realise that the competition was of little excitement and (generally) poor quality. Furthermore, I've seen England win before with impressive displays. This hasn't happened in a while.

ReputationRep:
    Or watching too much rugby...
    Evidently not.

ReputationRep:
    But he seems to be a sucker for pressure - he messed up hugely the biggest game of his career. Historically, the best athletes from whatever sports perform at their best under pressure.
    The point is: Michelak is more talented and creative than Wilkinson. Sure Wilko may be a better kicker under pressure, but there is more to fly-half than kicking.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.