This discussion is closed.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
But he seems to be a sucker for pressure - he messed up hugely the biggest game of his career. Historically, the best athletes from whatever sports perform at their best under pressure.
Your talking about Wilkinson here right? Sounds like it to me.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
RWC was a boring affair with the exception of about three or four games.

The group stages were mainly a joke although this is a problem in any game other than football but we still had either one sided tankings or made up nations full of second generation Aussies / Kiwis / Irishmen who wernt good enough to play for their first nation.

I remember Wales putting in a couple of good performances throughout the tournament oh and didnt the U.S.A. beat Tonga or something but does anyone really care?

Sadly I think that it failed to live up to what was expected but with all the hype I suppose it was never going to happen. Watching the England V France semi final was like watching paint dry and despite England winning through it failied to capture my imagination and the imagination of many others.

The final was a tense affair although it didnt justify half the hype that followed.

It is interesting to see that the viewing figures for the tournament as a whole were nowhere near what was expected and Vodafone have since dropped the Wallabies saying that it did not represent value for money.

One of the funniest things about the whole tournament was when England played at Suncorp and the English press started giving out an attendance figure that was actually more than the stadium held.

This was abit like last years Zurich Premiership Final (oh look, another concept nicked from Rugby League) where the attendance was quoted as being 60,000 50,000 and 40,000 depending on which website you visited / paper you read. Someone eventually came clean and we found out that there were like 38,000 people there or something although knowing the way RU attendances get "rounded up" you could probably take 10K off.

Are you aware how cheap tickets were for games such as TOnga and the USA? 'A nearly packed to capacity stadium watched two minor teams yesterday' lol. DIdnt say most were given away free and those that paid, got in for about 3-5 quid.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Are you aware how cheap tickets were for games such as TOnga and the USA? 'A nearly packed to capacity stadium watched two minor teams yesterday' lol. DIdnt say most were given away free and those that paid, got in for about 3-5 quid.
Er...yes I was. I read a (obviously male written) review of how the main attraction at most of the U.S.A. games was scantily clad "Buffy" style American girls.

Oh and not all of the England games sold out. I think they only got something like 23,000 at Suncorp.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (231)
39.09%
Take autumn exams (177)
29.95%
Look for a job (20)
3.38%
Consider an apprenticeship (23)
3.89%
Take a year out (105)
17.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (35)
5.92%

Watched Threads