Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Playing the numbers game?

% acceptance between Colleges vary quite significantly,and so does the level of applicants.

Is it wise to choose collegs based on statistics?

ReputationRep:
    no. there are many other threads on this.

ReputationRep:
    that said, Trinity and St. John's aren't particularly fond of singaporeans.

ReputationRep:
    oh sorry;; are there ahh

yea...well
    homerton, fitz, madelene don't mind the NS thou.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soonalvin)
    that said, Trinity and St. John's aren't particularly fond of singaporeans.
    Ooooh. Controversial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e-unit)
    Ooooh. Controversial.
    yeah. but i am not saying that they don't accept. just that based on stats, traditionally they accept fewer of my countrymen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silver-rose)
    oh sorry;; are there ahh

yea...well
    homerton, fitz, madelene don't mind the NS thou.
    add pembroke to the list. :P

ReputationRep:
    yeah. but i am not saying that they don't accept. just that based on stats, traditionally they accept fewer of my countrymen.
    Alvin, were you awarded the PSC scholarship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    Alvin, were you awarded the PSC scholarship?
    i have no idea. chances are slim, methinks, from how the interview went. will probably receive the bad news in a week or two.

ReputationRep:
    if you want to play the numbers game then from what i can see of the stats the best colleges to apply to if you want to stand the best chance of being accepted by that chosen college are:

1. Homerton
    2. St Johns
    3. Peterhouse

The worst are:

1. Girton
    2. New Hall
    3. Downing
    4. Emmanuel
    5. Sidney Sussex

The Girton and New Hall thing is hardly suprising though, since they are probably going to take a lot of people from the pool.

If your aim is to just get in to cambridge, and dont care where you end up then the best are...

1. St Johns
    2. Queens'
    3. Clare
    4. Caius

and the worst are...

1. Girton
    2. New Hall
    3. Pembroke

Which under my interpretation suggests that: statistically you are most likely to get in by applying to the most academically competitive colleges. This is obviously to be expected since better aplicants stand a better chance of getting in.

So in conclusion, the stats mean nothing - if you're a good applicant, you stand a better chance of getting in than a bad applicant. The "popular colleges" attract good applicants, but are better at placing their applicants than the generally less popular colleges (probably due to standard of applicant).

So you should probably just ignore all of the stats.

ReputationRep:
    What Willa said is absolutely true - obviously plenty of pooling goes in in all subjects but it seems to be particularly high in NatSci.
    Just because one college has a lot of applicants per place, that does not mean it's going to be harder to get in.
    I applied to Emmanuel. Found out later that it was the most applied to college that year. But it also had the most people pooled - I was pooled to Fitz.
    If the college thinks you're good, they'll pool you. After that, there's a certain amount of luck involve - you have to hope someone fishes you out of the pool.

But don't take all the statistics too seriously - just be aware that the pooling system exists to even these things out. My advice would be to go to a college you like the look of, but don't get too attached to it.

ReputationRep:
    i have no idea. chances are slim, methinks, from how the interview went. will probably receive the bad news in a week or two.
    Hmmmmmm.

I know someone who was interviewed on the same day as you, and has already been awarded the scholarship. He'll be attending the tea session this coming Saturday.

Not too sure what that implies, but anyway, good luck once again.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmmmm.

I know someone who was interviewed on the same day as you, and has already been awarded the scholarship. He'll be attending the tea session this coming Saturday.

Not too sure what that implies, but anyway, good luck once again.
    haha. implies a great deal really. not that it matters.

ReputationRep:
    haha. implies a great deal really. not that it matters.
    So what are your other scholarship options then? Or have you secured one already?

ReputationRep:
    So what are your other scholarship options then? Or have you secured one already?
    astar only i guess.
    or the good ol' PMS.

ReputationRep:
    astar only i guess.
    or the good ol' PMS.
    What's PMS, again?

I didn't get called for the second round of firefly. Interview was a disaster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feanor_telamon)
    What's PMS, again?

Papa Mama Scholarship.

alvin, you're very fortunate to be able to fall back on that PMS option. What's the progress like on that A*Star scholarship application?

feanor: Ah well, 2 people I know didn't get called up for the 2nd round either. On the other hand, I know someone who's in the final round for the EDB scholarship! What are your other options?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feanor_telamon)
    What's PMS, again?

heh.

Papa-Mama Scholarship.

anyway, it's okay lar. most of my interviews have been disasters. i sang to my own tune.

p.s. think maybe we should set up a thread specifically for talking **** instead of hijacking people's thread. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Papa Mama Scholarship.

alvin, you're very fortunate to be able to fall back on that PMS option. What's the progress like on that A*Star scholarship application?

feanor: Ah well, 2 people I know didn't get called up for the 2nd round either. On the other hand, I know someone who's in the final round for the EDB scholarship! What are your other options?
    i am going to see The Man Himself on wednesday. so it's final round too.

on the other hand, i managed to piss the PUB people off without great difficulty! heh.

ReputationRep:
    heh.

Papa-Mama Scholarship.

anyway, it's okay lar. most of my interviews have been disasters. i sang to my own tune.

p.s. think maybe we should set up a thread specifically for talking **** instead of hijacking people's thread. :p:
    I've lost count of how many threads we've hijacked. :rofl:

Apologies everyone!

Alvin, go create one in the International Lounge or something.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.