The Student Room Group

Durham

How would you rate Durham as a university for Economics (and more specifically for PPE)? From the numerous rankings I find that Durham's reputation appears to be unfounded.

I realise that 'first rate' universities are LSE Ox Cam e.tc.

Would Durham slip into second rate or third rate?

Things appear so confusing. For resarch ratings Bristol had 4 as did Durham whilst Sussex had 5* and Cambridge had 5. The tables appear so confusing to me.

Many thanks,
Reply 1
go where you want mate, rankings? i say **** off to them
Reply 2
josephcohen_2
How would you rate Durham as a university for Economics (and more specifically for PPE)? From the numerous rankings I find that Durham's reputation appears to be unfounded.

I realise that 'first rate' universities are LSE Ox Cam e.tc.

Would Durham slip into second rate or third rate?

Things appear so confusing. For resarch ratings Bristol had 4 as did Durham whilst Sussex had 5* and Cambridge had 5. The tables appear so confusing to me.

Many thanks,

Essex (not Sussex) got a 5*, but I would not take the research ratings and rankings too seriously. In terms of research and reputation in academic economics Durham would not rate that highly, but any degree from Durham would be well-respected and good for employment (unless you are applying to investment banking). I would say the departments below are the ones that you should aim for before Durham:

- Oxbridge, LSE
- UCL, Warwick
- Nottingham, York, Bristol

Specifically, for PPE, I would say that only two universities would rank higher: Oxford and York- I do not think any of the others run this course.
Reply 3
Durham is a decent university and a degree from there will be respected, although its PPE course is very new and the university has quite a poor politics department. Having said that if it is your only offer then it would not be a bad choice and is an amazing location if you like that sort of city. For PPE Oxford, York and Warwick would be better choices in my opinion if you have any other offers.
Reply 4
Have UC's from Durham and York
Reply 5
josephcohen_2
Have UC's from Durham and York

For PPE go with York.
Reply 6
durham certainly isn't a bad uni, and PPE from there will be decent. yes there are better places to do it but it'll still get you good job prospects etc - so go for it. but yes - take york over durham if u have the offers.
Reply 7
Special
Essex (not Sussex) got a 5*, but I would not take the research ratings and rankings too seriously. In terms of research and reputation in academic economics Durham would not rate that highly, but any degree from Durham would be well-respected and good for employment (unless you are applying to investment banking). I would say the departments below are the ones that you should aim for before Durham:

- Oxbridge, LSE
- UCL, Warwick
- Nottingham, York, Bristol

Specifically, for PPE, I would say that only two universities would rank higher: Oxford and York- I do not think any of the others run this course.

Warwick does, Durham does, Manchester does, UEA does, Essex does, Kent does. Loads do in fact, look it up:rolleyes:
Reply 8
paddylad
Warwick does, Durham does, Manchester does, UEA does, Essex does, Kent does. Loads do in fact, look it up:rolleyes:

I meant out of the others on my list (of which there is no Durham, Manchester, Kent or Essex). But I agree, York is the best course.
Reply 9
I have UC's from: Durham/York/Essex/Exeter/Birmingham(P&E)

In terms of grad prospects e.t.c would York be far better than Durham or is the difference only minor?
Reply 10
josephcohen_2
I have UC's from: Durham/York/Essex/Exeter/Birmingham(P&E)

In terms of grad prospects e.t.c would York be far better than Durham or is the difference only minor?

I personally think York is the better of the two, however the difference is not going to be huge. If you have visited both and prefer Durham, go to Durham- they are both good universities.
Reply 11
Durham's economics department i'd say is on parr with that of yorks, or slightly below, no real difference to be honest. Also, the university of Durham looks much better. I visited both and found York to be rather unattractive.
yo_dude
Durham's economics department i'd say is on parr with that of yorks, or slightly below, no real difference to be honest. Also, the university of Durham looks much better. I visited both and found York to be rather unattractive.

I disagree with your assessment. I didn't think Durham's economics department was very good. The course was a BA, didn't have a wide range of options, was in a cramped building and the department's research grades were poor. On the otherhand York had a huge amount of options, a modern well-equipped building and good research and teaching scores. I would pick York every time.
Reply 13
For me, York is easily better than Durham.

Sen

Latest

Trending

Trending