Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I just got an offer from southampton (to do medicine) and an offer from sheffield as well and before making any decision, I would just like to know from people who are going/go/or have been to southampton, what is it that makes/made it your top choice? Any replies will be very appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Course felt like the right balance for me with plenty of options; sports facilities which suited me..a large gym and pool; great standard accommodation which was near the university; nice green campus which wasn't too big; top notch library which I felt like I would manage to work in when I looked around; good nightlife and shopping; friendly people especially the department staff and current students; university bus service which makes travelling around much easier; close to home but not too close.

ReputationRep:
    Very similar, I liked the campus, it wasnt huge and intimidating and felt really friendly with a nice atmosphere. Great setting and lots of tress and green areas made it quite calm and not to frantic. I found the library great, good accommodation and great transport links with the universities own service.

ReputationRep:
    Ive put Southampton as my firm, and Sheffield as my insurance.

I decided on Soton over Sheffield mainly due to the course, however I was also attracted by:

- its close proximity to the coast
    - nice distance from London
    - seems to offer an active but grownup lifestyle (due to it being near the city, not a campus uni, good sports facilities, clubs)
    - kind of green
    - lively (sheffield seemed dull & geeky)

To be honest it didnt really stand out for me, it was more of weighing up the positives and negatives, and soton came up top

ReputationRep:
    Medicine at Southampton. I basically preferred the Medical Course at Southampton to Sheffield- there are similar but there are differences which are significant. I'll let you find them out, I'm not going to try to sway you either way.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help guys. I see what you mean joplin, the course does seem to be slightly better so if I like the place on the open day, then I think I will put it as my firm. See you southampton people down there

ReputationRep:
    Ive put southampton as my firm even though im not sure that the course is right for me but i liked the campus. I also felt that there would be alot of opportunities for work experience and that the job prospects would be good ( port, proximity to france etc). Also got the impression that there was always money coming in to improve facilities which i didnt get from other unis. not sure whether this is a true impression or that they just put on a great open day

ReputationRep:
    i like southampton becos i am 99.99% an erbivore and it has lots of green fields around it, macca. luvvly campus.

ReputationRep:
    absolutely nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Random facts that make Southampton special (IMO):
    It has the highest concentration of traffic lights of any city in Europe
    Oh and what fun they are! You have to see it to beleive it.

ReputationRep:
    There football team, maybe

ReputationRep:
    That too, and now Theo Walcott. Woo.

ReputationRep:
    Well im looking forward to coming to Soton ... I mean its one of the top 10 uni in UK right or am I exaggerating? ... Its got a large intl community n yeah .. I hope its the best ¬!

ReputationRep:
    Well the Times put it at 17.. But yes top ten

ReputationRep:
    haha ok Top 20 ..

ReputationRep:
    Southampton University Officer Training Corps.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.