Windows XP Home Trouble - Corrupt files\Slow booting Watch

pritnep
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Today while I was playing a PC game my computer just restarted without warning.

While it took a considerable amount of time to boot up before it reaches the Windows XP loading screen, the following message appeared:

Windows could not start because of following file is missing or corrupt
\windows\system32\config\system

Now I am assuming as it latter said that I could just repair the system using the XP disk (otherwise a reformat is no problem) however I would really like to know what was the cause of the problem and how if possible to prevent it happening again.

================================ ================================ ================================ ================================ =

Over the last month of so sometimes my computer has been taking minutes to load instead of its usual 45 seconds and I am unsure of why. I have done several virus, spyware\adware scans with no viruses found, done defrags, scandisks everything I could think of and still ensure as to the problem. My brother has the same computer as mine and yet he has not experience the troubles I have been having.

The last time I had a major crash I received the following error and it fix it I simply reformatted and reinstalled windows:

Windows could not start because of following file is missing or corrupt
\windows\system32\config\system

Are these problems somehow connected was it something I have done or????

Thanks in advanced to any help or suggestions you can offer

Computer Specs

Windows XP Home SP2
P4 2.6
512MB RAM
160GB HDD

*I have already done searches on google for the answer but would really like to know what's up with my computer so it won't happen again a month down the track.*

Thanks to anyone that can offer assistance.
davemarkey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would do a repair install of xp so that it works a bit first

then run chkdsk c: /f

try opening the case and check for dust - if u think there is too much dust then clean it out with a can of compressed air

check your HD manufacturer's site for utilities that you can run at boot to check the HD
derf
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would reformat. I always do when i get strange problems.
pritnep
Rep:
?
Determined it to be either cooling or Harddrive problems due to other errors. I will be getting Harddrive latter in the week so hopefully that will solve the problem and my computer will be back online (HDD & PC is 3 yrs old)!
PieMaster
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Download the disk manufacturers diagnostic disk, that will tell you about any problems with it.
pritnep
Rep:
?
Already went through all diagnostics tests for my HDD it was one of the first things I tried.

Anyway bought a new HDD needed it anyway and everything is working fine now as it should so it was a problem with the HDD. My old HDD has not gone to waste either as I am using it as a slave. Thanks everyone for your advice, problem solved, PC back up and running and I can now return to my gaming!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (96)
29.45%
1 (54)
16.56%
2 (44)
13.5%
3 (51)
15.64%
4 (24)
7.36%
5 (22)
6.75%
6 (8)
2.45%
7+ (27)
8.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise