Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Windows XP Home Trouble - Corrupt files\Slow booting watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Today while I was playing a PC game my computer just restarted without warning.

While it took a considerable amount of time to boot up before it reaches the Windows XP loading screen, the following message appeared:

Windows could not start because of following file is missing or corrupt
    \windows\system32\config\system

Now I am assuming as it latter said that I could just repair the system using the XP disk (otherwise a reformat is no problem) however I would really like to know what was the cause of the problem and how if possible to prevent it happening again.

================================ ================================ ================================ ================================ =

Over the last month of so sometimes my computer has been taking minutes to load instead of its usual 45 seconds and I am unsure of why. I have done several virus, spyware\adware scans with no viruses found, done defrags, scandisks everything I could think of and still ensure as to the problem. My brother has the same computer as mine and yet he has not experience the troubles I have been having.

The last time I had a major crash I received the following error and it fix it I simply reformatted and reinstalled windows:

Windows could not start because of following file is missing or corrupt
    \windows\system32\config\system

Are these problems somehow connected was it something I have done or????

Thanks in advanced to any help or suggestions you can offer

Computer Specs

Windows XP Home SP2
    P4 2.6
    512MB RAM
    160GB HDD

*I have already done searches on google for the answer but would really like to know what's up with my computer so it won't happen again a month down the track.*

Thanks to anyone that can offer assistance.

ReputationRep:
    I would do a repair install of xp so that it works a bit first

then run chkdsk c: /f

try opening the case and check for dust - if u think there is too much dust then clean it out with a can of compressed air

check your HD manufacturer's site for utilities that you can run at boot to check the HD

ReputationRep:
    I would reformat. I always do when i get strange problems.

ReputationRep:
    Determined it to be either cooling or Harddrive problems due to other errors. I will be getting Harddrive latter in the week so hopefully that will solve the problem and my computer will be back online (HDD & PC is 3 yrs old)!

ReputationRep:
    Download the disk manufacturers diagnostic disk, that will tell you about any problems with it.

ReputationRep:
    Already went through all diagnostics tests for my HDD it was one of the first things I tried.

Anyway bought a new HDD needed it anyway and everything is working fine now as it should so it was a problem with the HDD. My old HDD has not gone to waste either as I am using it as a slave. Thanks everyone for your advice, problem solved, PC back up and running and I can now return to my gaming!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 19, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.