Turn on thread page Beta

Gap Years!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Im considering takin a gap year, but Im worried about some stuff
    Like - do you feel older than the people who went to uni straight from school? Did you feel left behind when your friends went to uni before you did?
    Do you have any regrets?
    Anything would be soooooo appreciated
    Leah
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiltsrock)
    Like - do you feel older than the people who went to uni straight from school? Did you feel left behind when your friends went to uni before you did?
    Do you have any regrets?
    My answers to your questions, in respective order:

Yes, sometimes but not always. There are lots of us who have, so it's not like you're ancient.

No.

Yes, I could have done more with my time but was too afraid to.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Im considering takin a gap year, but Im worried about some stuff
    Do you have any regrets?
    Anything would be soooooo appreciated
    Leah
    xx
    I'm doing one and I rather think you'll feel left behind if you haven't done one. No regrets.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently on a Gap Year so I can't answer the first question but as to the second one: I do feel lonely sometimes but not really 'left behind'. I've found that having a gap year is excellent for the fact that you can keep going all round the country visiting your friends and at the same time looking at universities. It's certainly helped reassure me that I've made the right choice in where I want to study after staying at other places and not liking them as much.

I am enjoying having the money from my job and also the prospect of going away for the next few months is very exciting. Obviously this is really the only opportunity you'll have for a long time to go travelling etc without any real responsibility.

I definitely would recommend having a gap year but make sure that you plan something to do in it so that you don't waste it and regret not going straight to university. I don't regret having a gap year although I did wish I'd planned travelling a lot earlier but now, luckily, something has fallen into my lap. I am very lucky though! I would advise proper planning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katini)
    I did wish I'd planned travelling a lot earlier but now, luckily, something has fallen into my lap. I am very lucky though! I would advise proper planning.
    Same with me...

ReputationRep:
    This is all good to know and reassuring
    Any others??

People at university who didnt take gap years: do the people who did seem older to you? (maybe Im worring about this overly, but hey)

Leah
    xx

ReputationRep:
    I'm on an unplanned gap year so I can't really go travelling - I refuse to spend so much money on a few months and I don't really fancy any of the organised breaks and don't want to go on my own/not allowed to. Obviously the money from working will be good once at uni. i do feel left behind by my friends at uni - we've not done a great job of staying in contact and sometimes I feel older than them!but I have 3 friends in the same situation as me and they're wonderful.
    I'm grateful for the time as it's reaffirmed my choice , given me an insight in to the world of work and given me a break but after 6 months I now feel like I'm ready to go to uni and count down the days.

ReputationRep:
    Mine is also unplanned- I decided during my exams that I wanted to do a different subject than I had applied for. When did you decide Peapod? I seem to remember it being for the same reason- change of subject choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katini)
    Mine is also unplanned- I decided during my exams that I wanted to do a different subject than I had applied for. When did you decide Peapod? I seem to remember it being for the same reason- change of subject choice?
    Yep exactly the same reason!
    I decided before the results but had to wait until after them to get on a psychology course and couldn't (well I wa soffered a place at paisley or stockton!) so I'm now on a gap year.
    My job pays pretty well though.

ReputationRep:
    I did look at history places in clearing too but similarly they were not at places I would necessarily choose.

Will you accept Durham even if you don't get into your first-choice college?

My job pays really well too- although it's fairly difficult to make myself save the money rather than spend it. If I go away though I will hopefully not have to spend any money that I've saved although it will obviously mean not making any more money during the time I am away. But it's the whole question of whether the experience outweighs everything else.

ReputationRep:
    I just decided that instead of blowing £3500 now I'd rather put it towards a whole year away at the end of uni to places I REALLy want to go, not just places I can go now in the time available.

Yes I'll accept Durham whatever - I don't believe that any f the colleges are bad enough to turn it down.
    If I don't get in to Durham it'll be a tough decision though.

ReputationRep:
    People at university who didnt take gap years: do the people who did seem older to you? (maybe Im worring about this overly, but hey)
    I don't think it's an unnatural worry, I am at the moment considering a gap year and it's certainly one of my major worries about one; however what has been said to me has mostly been reassuring.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I probably wouldn't go away if I had to pay for it. Obviously if I'd planned the gap year from the start then I could have saved for it through sixth-form and then would have done some travelling but right now I would rather work and earn money or do something that is free to me.

My friend has spent a lot of money on her gap year travelling but did put all of her savings over the two years of a-levels towards it. When she comes back next month she'll be working really hard for money for uni though.

I think I would have accepted any college I'd got put into at Durham too. I was lucky that they placed me in Mildert (I applied to Castle) so I am really happy to go there. Although I will have to stop being so lazy and actually walk to places!!

ReputationRep:
    I was placed in mildert alst year and went to the open day!
    I've applied to Collingwood but I expect to be put in Mildert or St Mary's.

Out of interest, how are you geting free travel?!

ReputationRep:
    Did you like Mildert? I am going up later this month- I never ever looked at the Hill colleges but from other people's opinion etc and their websites it seems to be a good place to go.

I shall PM you on the other question.

ReputationRep:
    hi
    i will be taking a gap year as well most likely. im in my A2 year now and have decided to change my course (well more forced into it).
    im quite interested in economics and so will most likely be applying to study that next year (hence the username)
    what can i do in terms of travelling abroad during my gap year?
    i dont like the idea of going off on my own into the middle of no where
    i dont mind paying a bit extra if i went on something organised, i can easily earn this money by working for a few months
    what would i do to find out about companies that organise breaks? i would like to get a work placement abroad which will give me a bit of experience but i doubt this'll be possible...
    what do you think?
    help will be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

A good place to start off looking at is http://www.gapyear.com/. This site lists help for travel, volunteer and work placements and includes a forum for even more help. It is very very useful and should provide you with some ideas. The site lists travel companies, work companies etc with links to websites so if you start off looking at that site you should find it easy to move to other sites which are more relevant to what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Hi...

I'm an A2 student currently wondering what I'll be doing next year. I'm currently going through UCAS for degress in Politics, however it has not gone as well as I had hoped. Of the six uni's I applied to, I now only feel like I would be prepared to go to three of them, one of which rejected me (York). Admittedly, I have not heard from the other two (LSE, Warwick) however I'm worried that a double rejection is a very realistic possibility. As I say, I probably wouldn't go to my other three (Bath, Sheffield, Essex), all of which gave me offers. Consequenlty, my mind has started to consider what I might do if I took a year out and decided to reapply.

I have to say that, contary to most people, I would be quite content to stay in school and do some more A2's and AS's, is that a crazy suggestion, how do you think univeristies would view it? Whatever I do, I am not at all prepared to stop learning. As alternatives, I have some information about the Open University (gone off that idea though) and also academic study in the USA (which would be a dream come true, but only if I am not too late to arrange something, and (as usual) there are a few places that I would really want to go to (Massachusets or Washington)).

What is your advice... If I get rejections from LSE/Warwick should I just bite my tounge and go to one of my other uni's... Or should I take a year out: In which case what do I do?

Finally, I appreciate that I really should not worry about this until my UCAS is complete, however anyone in Y13 who is going through the procedure knows how nerve-wracking it is, and this is the only way to make me feel like I'm on top of things! (Which I'm definetly not!)

Thank you for any help that you offer me...

Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomhitchings)
    Hi...

I'm an A2 student currently wondering what I'll be doing next year. I'm currently going through UCAS for degress in Politics, however it has not gone as well as I had hoped. Of the six uni's I applied to, I now only feel like I would be prepared to go to three of them, one of which rejected me (York). Admittedly, I have not heard from the other two (LSE, Warwick) however I'm worried that a double rejection is a very realistic possibility. As I say, I probably wouldn't go to my other three (Bath, Sheffield, Essex), all of which gave me offers. Consequenlty, my mind has started to consider what I might do if I took a year out and decided to reapply...............

...............Thank you for any help that you offer me...

Tom
    Well if I was in your position, I'd probably just go to Sheffield, but maybe that's just because I'm desperate to get away from home. If you think you'd hate it that much, then it's probably best to take a gap year rather than go to a place where you're unhappy.

Don't give up on Warwick or LSE yet though... what grades are you predicted, and when did you apply? My friend who applied at the end of January just got an offer from Warwick for Politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Well if I was in your position, I'd probably just go to Sheffield, but maybe that's just because I'm desperate to get away from home. If you think you'd hate it that much, then it's probably best to take a gap year rather than go to a place where you're unhappy.

Don't give up on Warwick or LSE yet though... what grades are you predicted, and when did you apply? My friend who applied at the end of January just got an offer from Warwick for Politics.
    Hi, and thanks for the reply...

I'm predicted AAA, however of my top three uni's I expected York to be the one most likely to make me an offer, which is why I'm now very concerned about the other two. Also, being predicted AAA - and having just got some more good exam results - I'm reluctant to go to Sheffield. I would like to find a non-arrogant way of putting this, but if I got AAA/AAB I would feel 'too good' to go to Sheffield - I assure you that there is a lot more to that than you might intially think, but I shalln't go into it.

Essentially, I have worked very hard for the past 13 years and, in some way or another, I was always motivated by the prospect that one day I would be rewarded by getting a place at a top-class univeristy. I hope that explains what might be perceived as complete snobbery for effectively rejecting univerisities like Sheff/Essex...

Tom

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.