Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Roseberry/Carr-Saunders (and all other popular halls) do I apply for accomm now, or is it inconsequential when I apply as long as it is before the deadline?

I still haven't got a straight answer from the accomm dept!

cheers

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you apply NOW if you already know where you want to apply to?

ReputationRep:
    im not sure about other choices....am abroiad so have yet to see them

ReputationRep:
    apply early - always.

It's tough to get into Carr I think just because it's so small and Rosebery has increased in terms of popularity so you may have a tough time - Rosebery I think is the best hall in terms of overall value and the social environment, but I'm sure many LSE'ers will stake their allegiance elsewhere

ReputationRep:
    Rosebery is indeed one of the most in demand halls because it's really cheap, has the 31 week rent instead of the 40 week one, and anyone who has stayed there will rate it very highly.

To the OP, if you can decide your 3 choices as quick as possible then it looks like you'll be more likely to get the hall of your choice because they're already giving out accommodation offers (so it definitely isn't a complete lottery).

ReputationRep:
    Better apply as soon as possible, i think it's sort of FCFS and seems like they're not going to wait and sort things after the deadline, as some people here have already received offers. Ok, 26 days to go before they give me a decision!!!

ReputationRep:
    I was walking past Carr-Saunders the other day and it looked horrible: worse than council flats, and a stark contrast to everything around it. Still, the grotty feel of it would be great

ReputationRep:
    Earlier is better..

ReputationRep:
    so.. where should a first year who wants an ensuite apply to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxczxc)
    I was walking past Carr-Saunders the other day and it looked horrible: worse than council flats, and a stark contrast to everything around it. Still, the grotty feel of it would be great
    I'm more concerned whether they have decent facilities...appearance does not matter that much really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candystrippa)
    for the ensuite single room, i picked Bankside and Rosebury

ReputationRep:
    Bankside is a good choice for that it seems

ReputationRep:
    Bankside as your first choice, especially because it has loads of rooms. Chances of you getting an ensuite are high(er).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexandra)
    for the ensuite single room, i picked Bankside and Rosebury
    When I applied for Rosebery I wanted an ensuite too, but the woman there explicitly stated that unless you have a medical condition which means you ideally need a bathroom for yourself, then you can dream on about getting an en-suite.

Bankside is definitely the halls where you are most likely to get your own bathroom; and if not, you don't have to share with half the world, like you do at Rosebery.

ReputationRep:
    oOh!
    is bankside convenient? does it look good? so it is better than high holborn

ReputationRep:
    oOh!
    HH has its own perks, like having close proximity to LSE.

Better is relative.

ReputationRep:
    oOh!
    For convenience, its pretty poor. Its about a 20 minute walk to LSE, but it's in the opposite direction to Oxford Street etc., and public transport is pretty poor round that area. It has huge rooms, and the bathroom facilities are very good, but its just whether you want to pay the 40 week rent, and whether you mind walking that far every day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliemccowan)
    When I applied for Rosebery I wanted an ensuite too, but the woman there explicitly stated that unless you have a medical condition which means you ideally need a bathroom for yourself, then you can dream on about getting an en-suite.

Bankside is definitely the halls where you are most likely to get your own bathroom; and if not, you don't have to share with half the world, like you do at Rosebery.
    really? ooh that sux! hopefully i wont get in there (it was my 3rd choice) cause its far away too. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliemccowan)
    For convenience, its pretty poor. Its about a 20 minute walk to LSE, but it's in the opposite direction to Oxford Street etc., and public transport is pretty poor round that area. It has huge rooms, and the bathroom facilities are very good, but its just whether you want to pay the 40 week rent, and whether you mind walking that far every day
    i see.
    Im having quite a lot of trouble about accomodation because I don't really have any idea what it will be like. at the moment it seems that HH is the best but it seems that they do not have ensuite single rooms.
    Are there apartments for renting near high holborn that anyone know of??

ReputationRep:
    Are there apartments for renting near high holborn that anyone know of??
    Highly likely, but with that kind of a location, you'd be talking about £200 per week easy.

Edit: serious typo there lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.