Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    IVe just been accepted...Yipee! just curious..Anyone with general info on law..anything that makes it different from another uni? also...i hear u can moot instead of a disseration...is that the case? if it is...i'll put it as my firm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drmoney89)
    IVe just been accepted...Yipee! just curious..Anyone with general info on law..anything that makes it different from another uni? also...i hear u can moot instead of a disseration...is that the case? if it is...i'll put it as my firm
    One thing I *do* know about law at Durham is that you can moot instead of a dissertation. You can even do both if you want, which is what my crazy friend chose to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    One thing I *do* know about law at Durham is that you can moot instead of a dissertation. You can even do both if you want, which is what my crazy friend chose to do!
    Moot?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddylad)
    Moot?:confused:
    debate a la court room stylee I think, if my meory serve me correctly

ReputationRep:
    In your first year you will study contract, tort, european integration and constitutional. There is no opportunaity to choose any other modules as some how these 4 make up your 6 compulsory ones. In the second year there's more choice and flexibility, but you'll need to study modules like criminal law if you want a qualifying law degree. If you look in the department's prospectus (at www.dur.ac.uk/law) you can see what modules are available. You don't have to do a dissertation if you don't want to and yes, you can choose mooting. There's also the Inner Temple Society which charges a membership fee. It organises debates, invites guest speakers to address students and has balls and things I think.

The tutorial system is good but the quality of tutors can vary. You might have, for example, a person who's top in his field in the country, but then you might have a postgrad and their abilities vary. In my experience all of the tutors are very good and very able. Small group sizes are also good, but perhaps not great if you haven't prepared much.

If you have any other questions, either post something here or send me a message.

ReputationRep:
    O i see, thanks for the responses. but the fact one can choose mootting over dissertation is a bit weird....wouldn't alot of ppl choose mooting instead of writing a massive disgusting piece of work?

ReputationRep:
    It's not a case of choosing one over the other; you have a completely free choice to choose any from the module list and even a module from another department. I think people do dissertations because if you look at the results, more firsts (by % of people who did dissertations, I think) are awarded than are for any of the examined modules. You also have fewer exams at the end of the final year which I'm sure will take some of the pressure off. I think I might do a dissertation actually; it'd be a nice change from the taught, examined modules.

ReputationRep:
    O i see, thanks for the responses. but the fact one can choose mootting over dissertation is a bit weird....wouldn't alot of ppl choose mooting instead of writing a massive disgusting piece of work?
    The vast majority of students claim that their dissertation was the most enjoyable piece of work that they did over the course of their degree.

Geography ones, anyway

ReputationRep:
    ohh i see, thats interesting! I also read up on the prospectus that the degree classification is based entirely on 2nd ,and 3rd year examinations ( and disseration if applicable), so i guess no coursework is takin into account:confused:

ReputationRep:
    You don't really get coursework as such. Well, any essays that you do are purely formative, which means that they mean nothing really; they're just to check that you're doing OK and to help develop essay technique and legal thinking and all that jazz. I think some modules might have some coursework, but I've no idea which ones and I think it's pretty rare. My first year mark will, for example, be based on my performance in 4 exams at the end of May.

ReputationRep:
    ahh that makes me feel very uneasy...Im not a good test taker, and essays rare where i shine..plus its hard for me to do quality work when i know it means nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    The vast majority of students claim that their dissertation was the most enjoyable piece of work that they did over the course of their degree.

Geography ones, anyway
    my so called dissertation is only 4000 words next year, I refuse to believe it is a proper dissertation and nothing more than an essay, especially as it counts for 15% of a double module.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's the name of the game and there aint much you can do about it. I'm not exactly an essay person either but you get choices of questions in exams and you can choose to do problem questions, which are easier in my opinion. For example, you get a scenario with several different people in doing various things and you might be asked to advise the parties. You work through it logically, stating first who has a claim against whom, then what the law is (along with its critisisms, flaws, your opinion, academic comment etc), then apply it to the claim and then conclude (have a look at any defences they have and say how likely it is that the claim will succeed).

ReputationRep:
    ahh that makes me feel very uneasy...Im not a good test taker, and essays rare where i shine..plus its hard for me to do quality work when i know it means nothing.
    Don't worry about essays - very very very very few people come to Durham knowing how to do a degree level essay! You *should* get some guidance from tutors and such as to how to do essays.

They're really not as hard as you think, my friends who do Law found them quite managable in their first year, it was the exams that they found really hard (of which Law squash all of your first year exams into one week!) :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    hhehe, i guess that should b ok then...i'm good at essays and seeing how the exam is essay format, i dont see how one can do poorly having revised all the material sufficiently.

ReputationRep:
    You can have a look at the style of the exams at http://aesica.dur.ac.uk/exampapers/Default.asp?dir=Law Have a look at the 2005 ones. First years take: Law of Obligations 1: Contract, Law of Obligations 1: Tort, Public Law 1: Constitutional and Public Law 2 Introduction to the Law of European Integration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan342)
    You can have a look at the style of the exams at http://aesica.dur.ac.uk/exampapers/Default.asp?dir=Law Have a look at the 2005 ones. First years take: Law of Obligations 1: Contract, Law of Obligations 1: Tort, Public Law 1: Constitutional and Public Law 2 Introduction to the Law of European Integration.
    cheers!!

ReputationRep:
    That's EXACTILY how I feel!

ReputationRep:
    If you're not a good test taker, it might not have been the most sensible idea to do a degree non?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    If you're not a good test taker, it might not have been the most sensible idea to do a degree non?
    I agready have a 1st class honours degree.

It was entirely course work/presentation/dissertation evaluated.

I also have dyslexia, which makes examination conditions more difficult for me. I have brains, but place me in an examination environment and I flake out.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.