Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A few questions:

Chemical engineering: Which do universities prefer if you're doing further maths and chemistry; biology or physics?

Mechanical engineering: Can you do this without having done physics? (Note, I'm doing further maths so that's similar I suppose).

Genetic engineering: Is biology necessary if you do physics and chemistry?

For anyone wondering, I'm trying to decide my AS subjects. I've currently signed up for futher maths + all 3 sciences. But since I now want to do economics, I need to drop a science and I can't pick which. I like all of the 3 science courses above.

And as a side note, please don't point me to university websites. I have looked at them and they're generally unspecific. I'd prefer some real life examples.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wouldn't this be better on the engineering forum?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe but I was sort of hoping for a semi-discussion of whether to choose physics or biology. So I chose to post here. I'm also open to other science courses that arent necessarily engineering.

ReputationRep:
    chemical engineering will prefer physics(many universities will actually require physics and not chemistry), some universities will accept no physics for engineering provided your maths and further maths A level includes mechanics modules, usually a minimum of three

ReputationRep:
    I think my subject set was made for engineering :p:

Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Electronics...
    I'm sure you could substitute Biology for Electronics if you wanted to do a more biological course.

ReputationRep:
    Our school doesn't do electronics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeathAwaitsU)
    Mechanical engineering: Can you do this without having done physics? (Note, I'm doing further maths so that's similar I suppose).
    Yep, maths is compulsory & physics isn't, in most cases.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2006
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.