The Student Room Group

NCS vs D of E

What does National Citizen Service offer that comparable schemes already in existence, such as the Duke of Edinburgh's Award, do not?
Reply 1
I'm going to be honest, it counts for nothing qualification-wise (like you can put a DofE award on your UCAS statement).

What NCS is about (in my opinion anyway) is having fun and showing how you can work in the community. I did it in 2011 when it was the pilot with Sheffield Wednesday Football Club. We spent 2 weeks in Plymouth and Sheffield (1 week each, stopping in student halls) doing team building exercises and planning a community event that we did for a week in Sheffield.

Afterwards we spent a week putting back into the community by volunteering we got to spend a day down at Wembley and watched England vs Wales.

In summary, I think that NCS shouldn't be considered as an alternative to DofE or equivalent, but something you should definitely do as it is a lot of fun and you make new friends.
The great thing about NCS is that it brings together people from really different backgrounds and sends you all off to live together for a week to do fun activities. I think this is where it’s different from other schemes you meet lots of new people and stay away from home all whilst taking on new and exciting challenges. It means that you really bond as a team with your team mates, have a lot of fun but also run your own volunteering project that makes a different where you live. Other schemes like Duke of Edinburgh’s are also fantastic, and I always encourage NCS Graduates to take up those opportunities
Are there any other activities/awards, other than Duke of Edinburgh and the NCS, that people can do which is similar and looks good on your CV?
Original post by shooks
What does National Citizen Service offer that comparable schemes already in existence, such as the Duke of Edinburgh's Award, do not?

honestly its more about the fun and does look good on your cv however you can use the ncs as part of your DofE award

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending