Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What to do with an old dot matrix printer? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    And when I say old I mean OLD, from circa 1992. It works ok and I'd feel bad just chucking it...can I donate it somewhere? Or is it too old for even the most charitable charity?

Thanks much!

ReputationRep:
    i would keep it, you wont make any money of it by selling, so keep it for memories, who knows it may become a collectors item in the future!

ReputationRep:
    lol I can't imagine selling it....for any price. I'd have to pay someone to take it off my hands! It's taking up room at home though so it looks like it's going in the bin, I just hoped some charity would want it so I wouldn't feel so guilty.

ReputationRep:
    Oxfam could take it, i don't think they really care what they get.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Maybe you could find another use for it....like as a plant pot or something.

ReputationRep:
    Turn it into a musical instrument! (http://www.qotile.net/dotmatrix.html)

ReputationRep:
    Donate it to a charity who refurbish kit and give it to 3rd world countries to get them into IT.

ReputationRep:
    From experience, charities are very fussy about what they'll take - when I was trying to get rid of a 486 machine a year or so ago, they didn't want anything slower than a Pentium III-500MHz. :rolleyes:

I have a dot matrix printed in storage, quite a small one though, but keeping it for memories (along with the Amstrad PC1512 8086 machine with no hard drive and double 5.25" floppy drives).

ReputationRep:
    We still use a dotmatrix now and again as some of the software we use has special paper which is only available for dot matrix printers. I do however think it would be really fun to get my Epson LQ-800 to play music like the one in the link above

ReputationRep:
    Take it apart and build a robot to take over the world. :evil:

ReputationRep:
    I tell you I want to throw it out, use it to relieve stress (involves big hammer) or do something constructive with it but the powers above say its useful and that none of the colour lasers can replace it!!!! What it churns out 1 page a minute and everyone needs to wear ear protectors while it is running!!!!

ReputationRep:
    To be fair... Dot matrix printers make a lovely satisfying noise when they're printing... Just reminds me of the good old days *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    To be fair... Dot matrix printers make a lovely satisfying noise when they're printing... Just reminds me of the good old days *sigh*
    Make a nice noice, but it does your head in if you're in a room full of them all going at once (old first school had a lod of them in one classroom when I was there years ago). I'll stick with my nice new inkjet, one page in about two second, not five minutes lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)

lol the noise always reminds me of two things

1) Travel agents (most of whom still have the Oki printers)
    2) Butchers meat cutting machines which sound kinda similar

No fond memories tho :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Donate to a computing department at your local school/college. Ours had millions of bits of computing equipment littered about the place. I had to do a presentation on printers in my first term, and a friend took apart an old laser and a golf ball one (is that right or did I make it up?) Plus it'll give the really geeky people something to take apart instead of messing with the clock so they can stay in lessons longer (I kid you not, it was dreadful) and not die of being too far from a computer.

ReputationRep:
    A golf ball printer? LOL... maybe a Daisywheel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rozaroo)
    Plus it'll give the really geeky people something to take apart instead of messing with the clock so they can stay in lessons longer (I kid you not, it was dreadful) and not die of being too far from a computer.
    If they don't have their own computers I don't think you can call them geeks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    From experience, charities are very fussy about what they'll take - when I was trying to get rid of a 486 machine a year or so ago, they didn't want anything slower than a Pentium III-500MHz. :rolleyes:
    Well if they took anything I'd probably be one of those *******s who used them as a free skip service../

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you eat it... Might be tasty...

ReputationRep:
    If they don't have their own computers I don't think you can call them geeks
    I'm talking about the 20 minutes on the train home believe it or not.

It probably was a daisywheel, sounds familiar. Not sure where golf ball came from

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.