Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

HARRY POTTER - blunders? watch

ReputationRep:
    Right now I'm probabl wrong and there is more than likely some perfectly good explanation. However, I'll post the thread anyway!

1. IN BOOK 1 at the start, Hagrid says to Harry he flew to the rock on the sea. But in the little books done for charity a while back it said in them no person can ever fly. Hmm?

2. This one got me. How come Harry only sees the horses that pull the carriages at Hogwarts in his fifth year when supposedly you see them when you witness a death? Didn't he witness one when he was like one?

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pascal)
    Right now I'm probabl wrong and there is more than likely some perfectly good explanation. However, I'll post the thread anyway!

1. IN BOOK 1 at the start, Hagrid says to Harry he flew to the rock on the sea. But in the little books done for charity a while back it said in them no person can ever fly. Hmm?

2. This one got me. How come Harry only sees the horses that pull the carriages at Hogwarts in his fifth year when supposedly you see them when you witness a death? Didn't he witness one when he was like one?

Thoughts?
    when he says he flew- couldn't he mean using a broomstick!?

And for your second question JK's put up an explanation on her website.

(Original post by jk'S website)
    Why could Harry see the Thestrals 'Order of the Phoenix'? Shouldn't he have been able to see them much earlier, because he saw his parents/Quirrell/Cedric die?
    I’ve been asked this a lot. Harry didn’t see his parents die. He was in his cot at the time (he was just over a year old) and, as I say in ‘Philosopher’s Stone’, all he saw was a flash of green light. He didn’t see Quirrell’s death, either. Harry had passed out before Quirrell died and was only told about it by Dumbledore in the last chapter.

He did, however, witness the murder of Cedric, and it is this that makes him able to see the Thestrals at last. Why couldn’t he see the Thestrals on his trip back to the train station? Well, I didn’t want to start a new mystery, which would not be resolved for a long time, at the very end of the fourth book. I decided, therefore, that until Harry is over the first shock, and really feels what death means (ie, when he fully appreciates that Cedric is gone forever and that he can never come back, which takes time, whatever age you are) he would not be able to see the Thestrals. After two months away from school during which he has dwelled endlessly on his memories of the murder and had nightmares about it, the Thestrals have taken shape and form and he can see them quite clearly.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon that he flew over on Sirius bike, and it went back into one of his many coat pockets when he went through the door.

And the second question was answered by JK and the answer has been provided above.

ReputationRep:
    yeah he used the bike...but i reckon he chained it up outside so noone would steal it!!lol.

ReputationRep:
    There's another blunder in Goblet of Fire - at one point Mr Crouch (as in senior) says something when he isn't even still alive :confused:

ReputationRep:
    eh? which bit is that? what does he say?

ReputationRep:
    I noticed a mistake in the sixth book today. In the first book there is the whole thing about first years not being allowed to try out for the quidditch team but in the sixth book when Harry is holding the try outs it says "the first ten was made up of first-years and it could not have been plainer that they had hardly ever flown before." Does it say anywhere in the book that they changed the rules after Harry came along or is this an actual mistake?

ReputationRep:
    It's probably just a mistake, but not a very important one, and JK Rowling would probably just say the rules changed ...

ReputationRep:
    Hagrid could have flown on a threstal (if that is how you spell it) or maybe two... then no one would have seen them and they could have flown back.

Here is an error... if Hagrig nicks the boat then how do the dursleys get back to dry land?

ReputationRep:
    The thing about 100 vs 1000 in the title of the herbology textbook, which JKR has acknowledged she made a mistake with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rewmck)
    I noticed a mistake in the sixth book today. In the first book there is the whole thing about first years not being allowed to try out for the quidditch team but in the sixth book when Harry is holding the try outs it says "the first ten was made up of first-years and it could not have been plainer that they had hardly ever flown before." Does it say anywhere in the book that they changed the rules after Harry came along or is this an actual mistake?
    i thoguht that too- but i was reading the first book- and it actually jsut says that no-one is ever good enough to make it into the team. and that first years arent allowed to have brooms (the rules were bent for harry). Maybe the first years borrow brooms from hogwarts.

ReputationRep:
    You know if you go to mugglenet.com, you'll find they have a section full of mistakes in the books.

ReputationRep:
    Hargid flew to the rock on Siruis motorbike!!

ReputationRep:
    BUT in book 1, after Hagrid drops Harry off, he says he's going to give Sirius his bike back. So he can't have flown on it to the hut!
    And yeah, I've always wondered how the Dursley's got back to land after they nicked the boat lol Maybe Hagrid sent it back or something...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidekick)
    BUT in book 1, after Hagrid drops Harry off, he says he's going to give Sirius his bike back. So he can't have flown on it to the hut!
    Did you forget that at the time Sirius was a criminal, responsable for Harrys parents deaths. So Hagrid couldn't have really given him back his flying motercycle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Did you forget that at the time Sirius was a criminal, responsable for Harrys parents deaths. So Hagrid couldn't have really given him back his flying motercycle.
    was he? It was voldy that killed harry's parents. They only realised after that it must have been sirius who betrayed them- cos why would hagrid borrow his bike in the first place?

And im not sure if he's a criminal because he did betray them. I think the reason sirius was a criminal was because when he realised what had happened (that wormtail betrayed the potters) he went off to kill wormtail, and was chucked in azkaban for that- rather than for betraying the potters.

Poor sirius- kept on being accused for things he didnt even do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Nope. Tazzie is right - he was a criminal because he 'killed' Peter Pettigrew, which didn't happen til the next day. At the time, no-one except Dumbledore knew that Sirius had anything to do with the Potters' safety. Perhaps Hagrid never actually gave the bike back to Sirius, because he couldn't find him or something (we still don't know what really happened between the house being blown up and Peter and Sirius's confrontation the next day), but no-one knew he was a criminal at the time.

ReputationRep:
    How come Hermione can do magic at the Quidditch World Cup in GoF when she isn't at school? That's bothered me for a while now - it isn't even during term time, why doesn't she get lots of lovely owls pelted at her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ariadne)
    How come Hermione can do magic at the Quidditch World Cup in GoF when she isn't at school? That's bothered me for a while now - it isn't even during term time, why doesn't she get lots of lovely owls pelted at her?
    because, as explained in i think ootp, tho might be hbp, the ministry can only detect magic in the households of wizards, not magic of each individual. therefore the system is flawed, and relies on parents enforcing the rules about no underage magic on their children. Unless you come from a muggle household, then it'd be possible to tell who did it (altho there are exceptions - eg dobby in cos). therefore at something like the world cup, where looooads of magic would be happening, unless restricted by parents etc like at home, there'd be no way of telling who was doing the magic and so no swooping ministry owls.

ReputationRep:
    Last night I was thinking :eek:. In book five they break into that big secret ministry place and see loads of things that nobody is supposed to know about, why didn't they erase their memories of it? They didn't do anything about a bunch of teenagers breaking into somewhere with top secret stuff, crazy.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.