Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Medics - AS Average Module Marks watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've been wondering, what kind of average modular marks do medics generally apply with? Successful or unsuccessful.

Thanks,

Vazzyb.

ReputationRep:
    well my mate got rejected and he have module marks of low 90's and one high 80.....cambridge told him he got rejected on the basis of his BMAT score and also because is module marks WERNT HIGH ENOUGH ! which is quite surprising but it gives you an indication of the fierce competition out there...however you might be lucky to get in wiwth just mid 80's or low 80's depending on how you perform in the interviews

ReputationRep:
    So really they are looking for about 95?

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's pretty common to get 100% UMS nowadays, so to be competitive you probably need to get in the 90s. I can't actually remember what my module scores were.

ReputationRep:
    I think I got 298, 296, 293 for AS Maths, Biology and Chemistry respectively. Got a lower A for German (250something) because of a misunderstanding related to my oral exam (wasn't told my presentation needed to be about Germany, therefore despite it being in almost perfect German, it got no marks.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I think I got 298, 296, 293 for AS Maths, Biology and Chemistry respectively. Got a lower A for German (250something) because of a misunderstanding related to my oral exam (wasn't told my presentation needed to be about Germany, therefore despite it being in almost perfect German, it got no marks.)
    Das ist aber schade!

ReputationRep:
    I think the BMAT is very important if you're applying to oxford. A friend of mine who applied for medicine at oxford didn't even get an interview and I believe it was because of their BMAT score. They did Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Music at AS and got 290+ in maths and music, 300 in physics, 297 in bio, and 297 in chemistry (maybe 1 or two points different). Did this make a difference to her in reality though? Not really cause our school doesn't have a policy of writing these marks in references so none of the unis knew them; I do however think she would still have got an interview had she applied to cambridge though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juneau)
    I think the BMAT is very important if you're applying to oxford. A friend of mine who applied for medicine at oxford didn't even get an interview and I believe it was because of their BMAT score. They did Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Music at AS and got 290+ in maths and music, 300 in physics, 297 in bio, and 297 in chemistry (maybe 1 or two points different). Did this make a difference to her in reality though? Not really cause our school doesn't have a policy of writing these marks in references so none of the unis knew them; I do however think she would still have got an interview had she applied to cambridge though.
    There is a formula Oxford use to decide whether you're called for interview based on GCSE grades and BMAT scores, so AS module scores probably didn't come into it. It's true that Cambridge would almost certainly have given her an interview, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juneau)
    I think the BMAT is very important if you're applying to oxford...
    Tis indeed. The departmental website lets people in on the open-secret of how it's used, along with GCSE & the UCAS form to whittle applicants down pre interview... (& 2006 entry statistics for how this worked out to help 'assess your chances' are now up.)

To try & answer the Q - I'm a superior-to-Steve-or-Helen Oxford medic, so when i applied no where specifically asked for modular marks. My referee mentioned the full/very near module marks (~10 or so papers? memory failing me slightly) on my Oxford Application Form supplementary reference.
    Not sure how much influence on my application this would have had, other than making for a pretty qualifications taken section & something to add to the OAF though - all my feedback was based on the exam & interview rankings not UCAS form info.
    & these days UMS don't seem to come into the shortlisting for interview procedure apart from in a wider look at UCAS form if you're not automatically on the list.

I'd imagine most medical applicants here (& certainly most successful ones) probably do have fairly high modular marks. But whether they get in because of them & having less good ones means you just won't, or whether they generally might reflect applicants who will have the aptitude for the course shown in other methods of assessment used... I'd tend to the latter.
    Probably goes without saying the best plan of action will be do your very best in them... not least because it can take the pressure of resits/making the grades for offers off! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Tis indeed. The departmental website lets people in on the open-secret of how it's used, along with GCSE & the UCAS form to whittle applicants down pre interview... (& 2006 entry statistics for how this worked out to help 'assess your chances' are now up.)

To try & answer the Q - I'm a superior-to-Steve-or-Helen Oxford medic, so when i applied no where specifically asked for modular marks.
    Well, as a true Oxbridge medic I am overqualified to answer these questions... :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... I got 100, 98, 94 for Biology (total 292), 96, 96, 97 for Maths (289) and 118/120, 81/90, 76/90 for Chem (275). I think it's taken into consideration and the fact I wasn't planning any resits and had +270/300 in all my ASs can't have counted against me. My BMAT was good too - total 23.something. (French was 274, GS 288, Critical Thinking 300, but my offer doesn't include these).

However, I wouldn't say they're looking for about 95...more like about 90, though that's just my opinion.

My advice is to take them seriously, do as well as you can. At some point you will probably have to declare the marks, at least for Cambridge.
    Oh, and a general point - try and avoid resits. They produce extra stress. My summer timetable looks relatively OK as I have none.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. So I think 90 - 95 in the general concensus.

Liana, is that almost the top BMAT in the country? - 23 - Thats incredible!

ReputationRep:
    There is a guy on medschoolguide.co.uk who had 30+ out of 33 in his BMAT and was rejected from Oxbridge.

I think parsleythelion has a score of 31+ as well, I saw her results on medschoolguide.co.uk as well.

But still 23 is still incredible, considering the difficulty of the tests. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard of people getting into Oxbridge with scores like 19+

ReputationRep:
    I see. Medicine looks like a breeze then...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on, you make it sound too easy.

ReputationRep:
    Not to hijack the thread, but looking at the link in post #9 (thanks Elles) apparently they put less weighting on Section 2 of the BMAT this year (i.e. the science paper). I wonder if that's because it was A PILE OF CRAP? There is no way that anyone could have answered all of the questions properly half an hour (by properly I mean working them out fully, etc.)

I'm now going to be bombarded with posts saying 'I finished that paper in fifteen minutes, complete with diagrams and footnotes.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ella_belle)
    Not to hijack the thread, but looking at the link in post #9 (thanks Elles) apparently they put less weighting on Section 2 of the BMAT this year (i.e. the science paper). I wonder if that's because it was A PILE OF CRAP? There is no way that anyone could have answered all of the questions properly half an hour (by properly I mean working them out fully, etc.)

I'm now going to be bombarded with posts saying 'I finished that paper in fifteen minutes, complete with diagrams and footnotes.'
    lol looking at the specimen, it does look quite a challenge :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cataclysm)
    There is a guy on medschoolguide.co.uk who had 30+ out of 33 in his BMAT and was rejected from Oxbridge.

I think parsleythelion has a score of 31+ as well, I saw her results on medschoolguide.co.uk as well.

But still 23 is still incredible, considering the difficulty of the tests. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard of people getting into Oxbridge with scores like 19+
    Yup - I only got 19 in the BMAT, although I did have the flu when I sat it... not fun!

ReputationRep:
    So you must have been one hell of an exceptional candidate, what work experience/voluntary work did you do? I would love to know so I can prepare, will be applying to Medicine 2008.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh BMAT memories aren't the best. My ex broke up with me that morning and it was probably the hardest exam i've sat (so far...) The questions were actually rather simple looking back, but the limited amount of time made it beastly.

I had pretty average UMS scores at AS: 244 in bio (resat a module in Jan--->278 + 90/90 in unit 4 = pretty easy time for summer of A2), 268 in maths, 264 in psychology, 298 in chem and 246 in general studies.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.