Bengaltiger
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
A uniform rod AB, of length 2a and mass 2m, rests with one end A in contact with a smooth vertical wall so that the rod lies in a plane perpendicular to the wall. The rod is supported by a smooth fixed horizontal rail which is parallel to the wall and at a disctance c from it. A particle of mass m is attached to the end B of the rod. Show that when the rod makes an angle \theta with the upward vertical the potential energy of the system is

mg(4acos\theta - 3ccot\theta) + constant
Christophicus
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Bengaltiger)
A uniform rod AB, of length 2a and mass 2m, rests with one end A in contact with a smooth vertical wall so that the rod lies in a plane perpendicular to the wall. The rod is supported by a smooth fixed horizontal rail which is parallel to the wall and at a disctance c from it. A particle of mass m is attached to the end B of the rod. Show that when the rod makes an angle \theta with the upward vertical the potential energy of the system is

mg(4acos\theta - 3ccot\theta) + constant
See image attached.

P.E of mass at B = mg(acos\theta-x)
P.E of uniform rod = -2mgx
(All potential energies relative to fixed point)

Simple trig
tan\theta = c/(x+y)
But y = acos\theta

=> c/tan\theta = x+y
=> c.cot\theta = x+y
=> c.cot\theta = x + acos\theta
=> x = c.cot\theta - acos\theta

Therefore total potential energy of system
V = P.E of mass at B + P.E of uniform rod
V = mg(acos\theta-x) - 2mgx + constant
V = mg(acos\theta-(c.cot\theta - acos\theta)) - 2mg(c.cot\theta - acos\theta) + constant
V = 2mgacos\theta - mgc.cot\theta - 2mgc.cot\theta + 2mgacos\theta + constant
V = 4mgacos\theta - 3mgc.cot\theta + constant
V = mg(4acos\theta - 3ccot\theta) + constant
Attached files
Bengaltiger
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Thanks!

Definatly deserve rep.

Just a question, if i were to take my potential energy from the bottom of the rod, ie, where it is in contact with the wall, would it still work? Or do you always have to take it relative to a fixed point?
Christophicus
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Bengaltiger)
Thanks!

Definatly deserve rep.

Just a question, if i were to take my potential energy from the bottom of the rod, ie, where it is in contact with the wall, would it still work? Or do you always have to take it relative to a fixed point?
Yeah always to a fixed point. Cos if not, the apparent fixed point would move and make all your calculations wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (91)
13.13%
1 (89)
12.84%
2 (89)
12.84%
19.05%
22.37%
19.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed