Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it too soon for films about 9/11? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this thread has already been done.

Basically, a film about 9/11 is premiering later this month. Is it too soon? BBC Have Your Say discussion is here.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    It's not too soon. It happened, yes innocent people were slaughtered but we can't change that day, i'm interested to see the directors views on 9/11.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I'd say it's too soon. I can imagine a lot of families in the US who lost people on the day will not e happy about this.

While many people not directly touched by the day may feel it's OK to have such film, while there are still significant numbers of families who think otherwise I don't feel we should have one either.

But it looks like it's too late with this film now.

I think its time, its been nearly 5 years. And, I know the films wont be a totally accurate representation of what happened, but the public have not been told the whole truth, nobody knows the whole story of what happened that day apart from the powers that be (Bush, CIA, FBI etc...)

ReputationRep:
    well we've already farenhieght 9/11 so why not

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a terrible idea to make a film out of it anyway. We've seen enough of the real life footage we don't need it dramatising and Hollywoodising for profit.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's the point - this is going to be making profit. Is that right? Is it right to be making money out of these people's deaths? But then, if you think about it, WW2 films were made both during and following the war. If that's alright, why isn't this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supercat)
    I think that's the point - this is going to be making profit. Is that right? Is it right to be making money out of these people's deaths? But then, if you think about it, WW2 films were made both during and following the war. If that's alright, why isn't this?
    I think that one could argue that war is a quite separate phenomenon altogether from a one off terrorist attack.

ReputationRep:
    It's just business.

Hollywood exists to make money and there will be money to make out of a 9/11 film. Personally I won't watch it because Hollywood and history don't mix well. It's probably too soon for the relatives and those who suffered, but money doesn't care about emotion and nor should it.

ReputationRep:
    It's been almost 5 years now, we can't be forever tip-toeing around the subject:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddylad)
    It's been almost 5 years now, we can't be forever tip-toeing around the subject:rolleyes:
    I hear there is a movie coming out soon about the 7/7 attacks soon. No tip toeing, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rusty33)
    I hear there is a movie coming out soon about the 7/7 attacks soon. No tip toeing, eh?
    Personally I don't think it's wrong to make a film about 7/7 almost a year after it happened. If anything it helps us remember those who died in the events. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't find myself thinking about 9/11 or 7/7 at all except for when someone else mentions them. Maybe we need these things to remind us.

ReputationRep:
    i personally prefer to watch documentaries on events like that rather than movies but each to their own and all that...

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on how the subject is handled. I haven't seen the new film, but I'm getting the impression from the clips I've seen of it that it concentrates on the heroism of the passengers who tried to stop the hijackers. The idea of it being a sentimentalised god-bless-america kind of film completely puts me off seeing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddylad)
    Personally I don't think it's wrong to make a film about 7/7 almost a year after it happened. If anything it helps us remember those who died in the events. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't find myself thinking about 9/11 or 7/7 at all except for when someone else mentions them. Maybe we need these things to remind us.
    I hardly think one needs reminding at all. At every mention of terrorism, is it not these events which spring to mind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger Kirk)
    I'd say it's too soon. I can imagine a lot of families in the US who lost people on the day will not e happy about this.

While many people not directly touched by the day may feel it's OK to have such film, while there are still significant numbers of families who think otherwise I don't feel we should have one either.

But it looks like it's too late with this film now.
    why would they think that? Its only a film.

I don't think its too soon, its only a film. If they don't like it then they should not go to see it. Problem might be that it makes the terrorists seem heroric and brave which could encourage more attacks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amon.)
    why would they think that? Its only a film.
    Precisely. It will only serve to trivialise what really happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacedonkey)
    I think it depends on how the subject is handled. I haven't seen the new film, but I'm getting the impression from the clips I've seen of it that it concentrates on the heroism of the passengers who tried to stop the hijackers. The idea of it being a sentimentalised god-bless-america kind of film completely puts me off seeing it.
    Oh well if it's an 'ode to America' movie then I'd rather not watch it:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure. Yeah it's been five years but I'm not sure if I'd be ready to watch a Hollywood version of the event knowing Hollywood's reputation. Maybe an independent film but a blockbuster, wouldn't be so happy with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kapster)
    I'm not sure. Yeah it's been five years but I'm not sure if I'd be ready to watch a Hollywood version of the event knowing Hollywood's reputation. Maybe an independent film but a blockbuster, wouldn't be so happy with.
    :ditto:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.