Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    Could someone already at Bath please type up a guide for all types of accomodation - what's in the room (en-suite or not), how many people for a kitchen, good / bad sides of accomodation, in other words your reference for all the halls Or just the one you live in. With or without the cost.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would also like to know this. Also, if possible, could the people at Bath post pictures of their rooms please ?

I'm just asking because I missed the official open days to Bath and I will only be able to go and look around the campus by myself. I have been told that I will have the opportunity to take a peek at most things but it is unlikely that I will be able to see any accomodation .

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    ^The accomodation is beautiful and modern, all of it - starting from the cheapest ones for £60 per week, so don't worry about that I'm just not quite sure which room includes what, esp. in terms of number of people sharing facilities (the booklet isn't very comprehensible). And also....

....loose Durhan, choose Bath!!! Bath rocks

ReputationRep:
    LOL, I wouldn't call the accomodation beautiful and modern (apart from marlborough/solsbury)!

ReputationRep:
    ^:eek: Are you kidding? It is way better than in Cambridge, UCL, Queen Mary and Royal Holloway for a start!! Definitely the best I've seen. I've been shown a room in Eastwood and a room Solsbury (apparently the "typical" rooms :rolleyes: ) Where do you live? Is it good?

ReputationRep:
    ^:eek: Are you kidding? It is way better than in Cambridge, UCL, Queen Mary and Royal Holloway for a start!! Definitely the best I've seen. I've been shown a room in Eastwood and a room Solsbury (apparently the "typical" rooms :rolleyes: ) And the kitchens are great... aren't they?? Where do you live? Is it good?

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahahaha! That gave me a laugh!

Seriously, Solsbury is not indicative of a 'typical' room. I'm in Westwood and although I love my room, it's more because I have happy memories in it rather than the room itself! It's smaller than the rooms in Eastwood, and the pods aren't fantastic.

Most of the kitchens in Westwood have been refurbished recently but mine hasn't, so it's basically a bit rubbish. We have everything we need but it definitely needs to be redone. I think that's happening over the summer. When I went to visit a friend in Eastwood I couldn't believe how nice their kitchen was in comparison to mine!

Having said all of that, it doesn't matter which accommodation you end up in really. You'll end up loving wherever you live, it's your first time away from home and it becomes your own little space. It's the people you live with that make or break your accommodation, not the accommodation itself. I love my corridor and I wouldn't change it for the world!

ReputationRep:
    norwood is very big tho a bit old but with great view: u can see the dawn and sunset directly. right in the centre of everything - library, munchies, SU, sports hall, plug bar etc

worst bit: need to walk up to 6 levels at night after 9pm, and no garden view

ReputationRep:
    Ok - here goes:

Westwood (Quantock, Conygre, Durhill, Cotswald) - houses with about 19 rooms to 2 large kitchens (and 1 small in the houses which havent been refurbished yet). Currently ensuite, but gradually being changed. The ensuite rooms have "pods", which are small but convenient, fully fitted furniture (drawer fronts have a habit of falling off) lots of convenient storage, but most rooms lack a wardrobe, and the chair is horrible. The new refurbished rooms have much more space, some free-standing furniture, a comfy chair, and LCD TV with license included. Dont yet know how many bathrooms per house. Kitchens are new, and, although cheaply built, should be ok next year still!

Westwood (Wolfson, Mendip Quarry) - arranged on corridors, with 3 kitchens to about 24 rooms (i think). The rooms are slightly smaller, and the corridors create a prison-like atmosphere. Kitchens are older (may be replaced this summer?). Again, rooms are either ensuite pods or refurbished.

Marlborough / Solsbury I've only been in one downstairs room in marlborough, and that in a flat for only 4 people. The downstairs flats have a large kitchen, with patio doors. The rooms are larger than westwood, with high ceilings, a proper ensuite bathroom, and comfortable bed. Ample desk space and shelving and a proper wardrobe. Dont know how the upstairs flats vary, but i beleive there are 6-8 people per flat. The disadvantage is the lack of people reduces the community spirit.

Eastwood I've only been in one house, but that had a large (if slightly dilapidated) kitchen, for about 13 people, with 2 bathrooms. the rooms are quite large, with wash basin, bed and desk.

There is also accomodation in norwood but dont know what its like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by recneps)
    Westwood (Wolfson, Mendip Quarry) - arranged on corridors, with 3 kitchens to about 24 rooms (i think). The rooms are slightly smaller, and the corridors create a prison-like atmosphere. Kitchens are older (may be replaced this summer?). Again, rooms are either ensuite pods or refurbished.
    You know, I actually prefer the corridor set-up. Although the corridors are small, I wouldn't say it felt 'prison-like'!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the deadlines are for appyling for accomodation? I would have thought that Bath would have sent me a letter about it or something, but nothing so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nhdb13)
    Does anyone know what the deadlines are for appyling for accomodation? I would have thought that Bath would have sent me a letter about it or something, but nothing so far.
    You apply online, I think for your year you can apply from the 7th of June? I might be wrong about that. Anyway, apply as soon as you can from that date, the sooner you apply the more likely it is that you'll get your first choice accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    You apply online, I think for your year you can apply from the 7th of June? I might be wrong about that. Anyway, apply as soon as you can from that date, the sooner you apply the more likely it is that you'll get your first choice accommodation.
    Yep, said 7th june in the accomodation guide they sent me. If I choose Bath as my firm I will be on there at 12:01 am to apply lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G_H_G)
    Yep, said 7th june in the accomodation guide they sent me. If I choose Bath as my firm I will be on there at 12:01 am to apply lol.
    ^ Yeah, it is the 7th of July. But it also says that all applications will be considered from mid-August to mid-September, which might explain why many people don't get their first choice even though they've applied at 12.01. Mind you, that is what I'll do anyway! :p:

ReputationRep:
    hmz... i haven't read a lot about accommondation yet, that's why my question may sound stupid, but... Will I be able to apply for it from the 7th of July if I only have a conditional offer and won't know my results(IELTS) until end of July? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dominatas)
    hmz... i haven't read a lot about accommondation yet, that's why my question may sound stupid, but... Will I be able to apply for it from the 7th of July if I only have a conditional offer and won't know my results(IELTS) until end of July? :rolleyes:
    yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G_H_G)
    I didnt get any accomodation guide! Any en suite catered (vegetarian) accomodation? Thanx
    and by the way wat do i gotta do to an accomodation guide aswel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forza_milan)
    I didnt get any accomodation guide! Any en suite catered (vegetarian) accomodation? Thanx
    and by the way wat do i gotta do to an accomodation guide aswel?
    They should send you an accommodation guide sometime soon, although I don't suppose it would hurt to email someone at the university and ask about getting one.

Also, there is no catered accommodation at Bath. There are a few places on campus to eat (Munchies, Parade Bar and so on) but no actual catered accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    hmz..should/will they send me that accommondation guide if I only have a conditional offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    They should send you an accommodation guide sometime soon, although I don't suppose it would hurt to email someone at the university and ask about getting one.

Also, there is no catered accommodation at Bath. There are a few places on campus to eat (Munchies, Parade Bar and so on) but no actual catered accommodation.
    That sucks big time! The only thing i can do in the kitchen is make lemonade and a decent cup of coffee :p: and eating out al d time wil b 2 expensive! Du get any food deals with places nearby ?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.