Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

I want to apply for Biomedical Sciences at Oxford AT THE SAME TIME as Medicine at 4 other universities. Would having a predominantly medical orientated personal statement mean I've got no chance at Oxford?

I've talked to 4 admission's staff about this, 3 have said that it's fine as long as I make my personal statement include some research aspects of my work experience (and that's fine, I've got a research paper which came 2nd place in my school's essay prize, I've done a Malaria research article too, and I'm doing research work experience in London), 1 has said don't bother because they will only take people who are COMPLETELY Biomedical orientated. Do I have a chance? I don't know what to think now...any help would be appreciated. I still want to be a doctor more than anything (that's the plan), but at the same time I want to go for courses that interest me...whether it takes 6 or 8 years matters not, and I love research too, so it's not as if I am not Biomedical orientated either.

But, would Oxford still accept a prospective doctor going for their Biomedical Sciences course?

And I just want to make myself clear by the way, Oxford may SEEM like an insurance choice, but it's not. It's a course which is really interesting to me and that's why I want to take it, not to mention the college I want to do it at is INCREDIBLE (beautiful and with such nice people). And don't people who go for Biomedical Sciences usually make a choice to become a doctor anyway?

I was initially planning to apply for Medicine but didn't get that A in Chem (2 marks away though so you can imagine how annoyed I was), then I was browsing through their website that I actually really like the Biomed course at Oxford - neuroscience bit is really fascinating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Oh just go for it, you'll never know unless you try right? What's the point in changing your 5th choice to be something you're not as excited about?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think for a 5th choice it's risky unless you'd be fine with taking a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    You may not see Oxford as an insurance choice, but ultimately you do see biomedical science that way. Oxford will have plenty of applicants who want to study biomedical science as their first choice.

And whilst I'm a biomed student applying for medicine, I'd say that's genuinely an overrated concept and it's not as widespread as you'd think. Most graduates do go on to work in hospital laboratories, or go on to research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattKneale)
    You may not see Oxford as an insurance choice, but ultimately you do see biomedical science that way. Oxford will have plenty of applicants who want to study biomedical science as their first choice.

And whilst I'm a biomed student applying for medicine, I'd say that's genuinely an overrated concept and it's not as widespread as you'd think. Most graduates do go on to work in hospital laboratories, or go on to research.
    What made you choose Bio-med over Medicine? There must have been something that tipped you to that side.

And again it's not really about 'Biomedical Sciences' or 'Medicine', it's about what I feel would make me a better doctor.

And what do the people who think it is not over rated say about Bio-med to Med?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProfC)
    What made you choose Bio-med over Medicine? There must have been something that tipped you to that side.
    I'm perfectly happy in a laboratory doing research, but on placement I discovered that my real passion lies with dealing with patients face-to-face and actively improving their health, as opposed to doing it passively and behind the scenes. I like the idea of that combined with the academic challenge of medicine.

And again it's not really about 'Biomedical Sciences' or 'Medicine', it's about what I feel would make me a better doctor.
    If that's the case you shouldn't apply for biomedical science at all. Ultimately you have the right academic qualifications so the only things that could potentially stop your application are the admissions test, personal statement and your work experience. All those things are correctable in the near future; don't waste your money on university doing something you don't want to do in the long term. Trust me.

And what do the people who think it is not over rated say about Bio-med to Med?
    I just meant that it is not as common as people think.

(Original post by ProfC)
    Hi all!

I want to apply for Biomedical Sciences at Oxford AT THE SAME TIME as Medicine at 4 other universities. Would having a predominantly medical orientated personal statement mean I've got no chance at Oxford?

I've talked to 4 admission's staff about this, 3 have said that it's fine as long as I make my personal statement include some research aspects of my work experience (and that's fine, I've got a research paper which came 2nd place in my school's essay prize, I've done a Malaria research article too, and I'm doing research work experience in London), 1 has said don't bother because they will only take people who are COMPLETELY Biomedical orientated. Do I have a chance? I don't know what to think now...any help would be appreciated. I still want to be a doctor more than anything (that's the plan), but at the same time I want to go for courses that interest me...whether it takes 6 or 8 years matters not, and I love research too, so it's not as if I am not Biomedical orientated either.

But, would Oxford still accept a prospective doctor going for their Biomedical Sciences course?

And I just want to make myself clear by the way, Oxford may SEEM like an insurance choice, but it's not. It's a course which is really interesting to me and that's why I want to take it, not to mention the college I want to do it at is INCREDIBLE (beautiful and with such nice people). And don't people who go for Biomedical Sciences usually make a choice to become a doctor anyway?

I was initially planning to apply for Medicine but didn't get that A in Chem (2 marks away though so you can imagine how annoyed I was), then I was browsing through their website that I actually really like the Biomed course at Oxford - neuroscience bit is really fascinating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Really not an expert but would not advise it, medical unis will be turned off by the emphasis on research over communication skills, and Oxford will have lots of applicants with the same grades who arent doing medicine...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2012

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.