Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.warwickboar.co.uk/boar/ne...of_minorities/

Surely its not that bad? Is there any racism / racial segregation at warwick?

As a prospective student from east london (where white people are the ethnic minority) lol I was just wondering if its anything to be concerned about...

ReputationRep:
    I haven't really noticed much racism. I wouldn't say there was any segregation according to skin colour amongst British students. It is true that there are a lot of white people and hardly any black people, as you can see from the statistics, but I think that just reflects the people that apply to the university. I doubt very much that admissions tutors are choosing students just because they're white.

The only segregation I have noticed is that international students sometimes tend to sort themselves into friendship groups with other people of the same nationality. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, and most international students are just as integrated as home students, but it does happen.

Warwick, despite claims that it's a "bubble", is a part of the real world. Don't expect a perfect crime-free, discrimination-free little world with a perfect ethnic-minority ratio completely in-line with government standards. Having said that, I think that it does pretty well as far as acceptance and diversity goes - look at One World Week for example. I certainly have seen much less racism here than at school or in my home town. It's not perfect, but it's not bad either, and certainly not something to be concerned about.

ReputationRep:
    considering one of the "CRE" reps said:

“If you have a black student and a white student at the front of the admissions queue, we would want the University to take positive action to take the black student first.”

talk about ridiculous. if this is the CRE then theyre a bunch of clowns.

ReputationRep:
    According to Wikipedia, there are about 2% black people in the UK. A discrepancy by about 0.4 percentage points. On the other hand, there are roughly 68% White students at Warwick, as compared to 92% being the national average. The reason is that the university recruit a large number of people from Asia, putting the number of Chinese and Indian students at 4.8% and 5.5% respectively, as compared to 0.4% and 1.8% on average.

All in all, Asian students are quite overrepresented with Chinese and Indian students being 1100% and 200% more than the national average, whereas White and Black students are a bit underrepresented being roughly 20% and 26% fewer than average respectively.

To me it seems rather bizarre that they are planning to "solve" the discrepancy of Black students by reducing the number of White students they accept ( which are in fact the most underrepresented ethnic group at Warwick). Long live political correctness.

ReputationRep:
    Are these Indian and Chinese students from Asia, as in International students or students within the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh_87)
    Are these Indian and Chinese students from Asia, as in International students or students within the UK?
    They're mainly international students.

ReputationRep:
    I thouht there were loads of indians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superalex16)
    talk about ridiculous. if this is the CRE then theyre a bunch of clowns.
    Do some research into the CRE and I hope you will retract that statement.

ReputationRep:
    Clowns is a pleasant term.
    I would better refer to them as a bunch of evil race baiters.

If we are to judge whether or not an organisation is racist, by the makeup of its staff and members, the CRE might consider the old phrase, "those who live in glass houses......"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m1kes)
    Do some research into the CRE and I hope you will retract that statement.
    i said the CRE are a bunch of clowns IF they believed what that rep said. if they dont fair enough. if they do, which that article indicates, then sorry - but theyre idiots.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get how anyone can calculate any percentages from the stats

11336 Undergraduate students
    7759 White students
    624 Indian students
    544 Chinese students
    137 Black African students
    34 Black Caribbean students
    11 Black (Other) students
    The figures for ethnicity excludes about 20% of the undergrad population. Home students must state their ethnicity on their UCAS forms, but overseas and EU students don't. Consequently, most are classified as "not given, information not sought". So the figures are heavily distorted.

ReputationRep:
    That article was far too disturbing for words. Why did it simplify the whole concept of positive discrimination to that ridiculous 'if you have a black person and a white person in a queue' statement. Positive discrimination- if used correctly is a good thing but obviously the completely sensationalist article it was didn't bother to show that. Love the politics teacher in the article who said they didn't even know the ethnicity of candidates because UCAS failed to disclose that information. For a politics tutor he's pretty dopey, it's a bit obvious of their ethnicity from their name- how many Lopez's, Li's, Patel's do you kno that are white? Coulda come up with a better reason lol. But neway sa05, I would say not to worry, I'm an East Londoner aswell, loadsa my m8s applied Warwick and got in and they are from all different backgrounds. As it goes racism is from ignorance and so naturally the more educated environment you are in, the less it shall it shall directly affect you. That's my theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmy18)
    For a politics tutor he's pretty dopey, it's a bit obvious of their ethnicity from their name- how many Lopez's, Li's, Patel's do you kno that are white?
    Whilst I agree with alot of what you wrote, this is perhaps an over-assumption.

My Surname is Binning, and my first name is Michael, yet my ethnicity is Indian; though from my name and looking at me you would probably presume otherwise. Furthermore, you state that the surnames 'Lopez' 'Li' and 'Patel' are not typically thought of white names, yet this does not negate what the politics teacher said. The thought that they are not white does NOT tell you their ethnicitity, though as you imply, it may be quite easy to guess.

ReputationRep:
    The joys of being of mixed race!

Surely, Warwick cannot actively be practicing positive discrimination?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmy18)
    Positive discrimination- if used correctly is a good thing
    I have to disagree. Positive discrimination attempts to even out injustices in one place by creating enw ones somewhere else. I'm foreign, I'm also bisexual, and I have a partialy non-christian background. I also happen to be white, middle class and male. What should an employer do in my case? Favour me because I belong to some groups of minorities, or pick a black female from the suburbs instead ?

Positive discriminations sounds like a good idea when you only considder one group of people, such as men and wommen, or foreigners and natives. However, there are so many minorities that need protection from discrimination that attempting to use positive discrimination in any fair way would just end up in administrative chaos.

A far better idea is to ban discrimination based on features of an applicant that will be irrelevant to his or her ability. It will take some time for attitudes to change, but trying to use "positive" discrimination to force it into hapening over night will simply backlash, as it explicitly accepts using things like gender, etnicity or economic background as legal selection criteria. I am convinced that in the long run this will turn out to be a very poor idea.

ReputationRep:
    I think that potential students should worry less about discrimination on the gorunds of race and more obout discriminationon the grounds of class at this University from some of the blogs I've been reading on other websites. Jeez

ReputationRep:
    really? Care to give examples.....
    Mind you, I did get the impression that warwick is full of the middle class when I went to the open day....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sa05)
    I did get the impression that warwick is full of the middle class when I went to the open day....
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sa05)
    really? Care to give examples.....
    Mind you, I did get the impression that warwick is full of the middle class when I went to the open day....
    Yeah.. saw it on a Blogspot or whatever it's called:
    http://warwickuniversityhater.blogsp...r_archive.html

and Warwick also seem to be having some student President problems as well! Who knows!

I've got a place at Nottingham.. they are all probably much of a muchness but I don't think Notts will be as snobby! Well i hope not!

ReputationRep:
    You know, there's a weird kind of classism (not sure if I just invented that word) going around this forum. I personally wouldn't agree that all Warwick students are middle-class, but whatever. What I find really annoying is this assumption that being middle-class makes someone stuck-up and snobby. It wouldn't be seen as acceptable to come on here and say "I've heard there are lots of asians/gays/working-class people at Warwick and I'm really worried", so what's with the middle-class bashing? In my experience, how much money someone's parents make has little bearing on how successful/popular/respected they are at university.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 28, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.