The Student Room Group

Delivery Driver advice needed

I have an opportunity to be a delivery driver for a supermarket. I was wondering if anyone on here does this for a living or know of anyone that does?

I am just wanting some advice really,on what the job is like .. and how different the vehicles are to a standard car.

I wiil be greatful for any advice you guys might have to give :smile:
Reply 1
Please ask if they are using 3.5 tonne vans or vans over 3.5 tonnes because vans over 3.5 tonnes requires a LGV C1 licence
Reply 2
Original post by ROG.
Please ask if they are using 3.5 tonne vans or vans over 3.5 tonnes because vans over 3.5 tonnes requires a LGV C1 licence

it is a 3.5 tonne van .. I have been accepted on the insurance to drive it and all I have is a car license :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by tnajamie
it is a 3.5 tonne van .. I have been accepted on the insurance to drive it and all I have is a car license :smile:

That is legal because your car (B) licence allows you to drive vehicles not more than 3.5 tonnes GVW
Reply 4
Tip: Don't crash

:biggrin:
Reply 5
Can be quite hard work some days, not so much others.

e.g. having to load the van at the start of the shift, sometimes with a scheduled leaving time of 15 minutes after shift start, carrying all the shopping to the door, some in flats with no lifts & with 4-5 flights of stairs can be a nightmare - even worse then it rains/snows as you don't get more time!

alot of legal stuff to remember - have to think 25 on delivery, to prevent leaving alcohol with minors and the such, monitor refrigeration temps etc.

not as simple as just driving as many believe :smile:
Reply 6
Van's aren't too bad to drive. But they do take a bit of getting used to.

A few tips are;

Vans are wider and you have no side windows, at some angled t junctions you can end up no being able to see both ways if you pull up at the wrong angle. Try to pull up square to the road you're pulling out into.

When going round tight junctions make sure you allow for the length of the vehicle, it's fairly easy to end up catching curbs with your rear wheels otherwise.

Make sure you watch both of your mirrors. Idiots who drive too close will often only be visible in one mirror (and then only just). Make sure you get the side mirrors correctly adjusted, since you have no rear view mirror you'll be using them a lot more.

Quick Reply

Latest