Turn on thread page Beta
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I'm currently doing French and Italian for GCSE, and I know it's early days yet, but I think I'd like to do two languages at A-Level. I know that Italian, while being a really nice language, isn't very widely-spoken, and perhaps would not be as useful as Spanish would be.

I'm wondering, is it possible to do Spanish for A-Level if I haven't done it for GCSE? I've already studied it for two years, but I found it a little confusing when learnt beside Italian. But my Italian course finishes in July, so that won't be a problem any more. If I can do Spanish for A-Level, I'd have to start studying it again, as I've got a bit rusty, but there's not really much point studying if I'm not going to use it!!

Our school does say that we have to get an A*-C grade in Spanish GCSE to do the A-Level, but I know some people that have done French for GCSE and Spanish for A-Level. I think they let you do a different language at A-Level if you can speak it well enough, and if you're good at languages in general. Just wondering what everybody else's views are and whether any of you have been in a similar situation.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't do it from scratch - I did French and Spanish GCSE and the spanish I had to do from scratch in a year and a half, so I would say that it would probably very difficult. I'm doing French A-level and there is so much work and that's when you've already been learning the language for 7/8 years, and you're just building on what you already know, so you do need a firm understanding of the language at GCSE - unless you're B/A/A* in THAT language, there's probably no pooint in doing it for A-Level, in fact most places wont lt you entre the course. If you really want to do spanish A-level, speak to your teachers and maybe start learning it now?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 12, 2012

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.