lukeyboy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
yeah, i did but i declined them to go through extra for SOAS. i did have leeds, newcastle, durham (castle) and l.s.e all for politics or politics & philosophy
Emmy18
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
U GAVE UP L.S.E FOR SOAS. For politics!!Craziness sheer craziness! Although SOAS isnt far from me and it is very cool. very Chic. L.S.E= nerd-a-rific.
lukeyboy
Rep:
?
yeah, because i didnt like the higher workload of lse, i want to do international not domestic and to go into politics it doesnt really matter where your degree comes from as long as its respectable.
m0rningview
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Alias667)
After enquiring why i'd been rejected for politics and philosophy, considering that my ps was ace, 4 A's predicted for A2, i've had experience in youth parliament etc and outstanding reference they told me they couldnt consider my application !! Why, you may ask...

because i didnt take a language at gcse (and get a C) !!!!

how petty ?

the irony of it is that their supposed to be widening access, i come from a pretty rough background (longsight in manchester & north east manchester) and lived on a council estate for 14 years, yet because my school was too poor to build a languages department i couldnt take a language, and took seperate sciences instead. so ive been rejected purely because i went to a poor school, widening access my left *******!

the sad sad irony.....

they also told me that if i applied next year (taking a gap year) they would automatically reject me because i dont meet their language requirement. way to go edinburgh !
I'm in the same posission, applied for Politics and Philosophy at Edinburgh. I dont know why i got rejected its not because I didnt get a C in language. I was in the Youth parliament and do god knows how much else in the community. I'm predicted above what is needed and I emailed them to ask why they had rejected me and they didnt even reply.

It sucks, Edinburgh was my first choice I'm totally in love with the place... I dont really know what to do now, boo.
lukeyboy
Rep:
?
accepted, 2007 entry ! chuffed !
Crux
Report 13 years ago
I also got rejected for exactly the same course at the same Uni, even though I ticked every requirement box and then some. I subsequently drafted a rather resentful letter emphasising Edinburgh's policy of attracting non traditional students from Technical colleges etc which I happened to attend. I also lifted a quote from the University's vice chancellor who stated that the University "made special efforts" to attract the best students from non traditional backgrounds and / or those who have had their education disrupted due to illness etc – which also happened to be my case.

Basically, I let it be known to the university that I was the epitome of their recruitment policy.

Weeks after I got a reply stating that the Philosophy and Politics MA course had 35 applicants competing fro every place. The Uni would be "delighted" however, to offer me a single honours Philosophy MA. I think Edinburgh values dogged determination from its applicants and I would advise anybody who has been rejected on small or unfair grounds to always appeal. It may be that through your appeal you are able to convince the Uni of your true abilities, character and fortitude to succeed – all of which are characteristics highly valued by University and society alike.
lukeyboy
Rep:
?
yeah, same happened with me. i think its a standard email, they used "delighted" for me aswell... is yours deferred ? and did you accept it ?
Crux
Report 13 years ago
No its for entry Sep 06. But yeah, I didn't have to think twice about accepting it. Edinburgh was always my first chocie.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (228)
67.66%
No (109)
32.34%

Watched Threads