Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I saw this Alpine one in a magazine that has iPod intergration so that you can control the iPod from the CD player but its a little pricey for me - £180 http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/prod...oducts_id=4679. There are cheaper ones that have AUX input for an iPod but im guessing that you cant control the iPod with that?

Other concern is the one linked above it says it charges the battery all the time - thats gonna **** my battery up isnt it?!

So do you have any suggestions? I want to be able to control the iPod from the CD player but hopefully for a little cheaper than £180

Actually, i guess i could ebay it and get it a little cheaper, so just some suggestions/recommendations would be nice.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I dont own an ipod, but i have been looking at this :

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/...roducts_id=649

It looks quite good to me but i don't know a lot about car steroes etc. I was looking at buying this one myself so I can plug in my USB stick. I would like to see what other people think of this head unit.

forgot to add this is £109.

ReputationRep:
    Cortez, there's a whole range of Alpine stereos that are compatible with the iPod interface.

I got one about a year ago and it's brilliant. Not caused a problem with the battery either.

Have a look here for more info...
    http://www.alpine-europe.com/alpine/cms/iPod_start.php.

ReputationRep:
    I also have an alpine with the integrated unit for your iPod and it's awesome. Mine has a little box which you attach behind the dashboard and i run the lead into my glove box so when i get in the car i plug in and then forget about it. Also nobody knows it's in there so less likely to get stolen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big_pd)
    I also have an alpine with the integrated unit for your iPod and it's awesome. Mine has a little box which you attach behind the dashboard and i run the lead into my glove box so when i get in the car i plug in and then forget about it. Also nobody knows it's in there so less likely to get stolen!
    Isnt that the AUX one with the seperate box? If it is can you control the iPod from the CD player?

Thanks for the link btw, im reading though it.

What models do you have?

That box thing is like 70 quid on its own :eek: Might be cheaper to just get the one for 180 ...

ReputationRep:
    .... anymore suggestions? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big_pd)
    Yep, same as mine.

Cortez, my model is the Alpine CDA-9847R Alpine CDA-9847R

ReputationRep:
    simeon - can you control your iPod from the headunit with that one? And did you have to buy the extra connector? Its like 70 quid ...

This thing - http://www.dvbcaraudio.co.uk/product...d_Adapter.html - bit cheaper there though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, thats the box they fitted behind my dash. The link in your original post is for a newer model than mine. You don't need the KCA-420i iPod Interface for the newer models.

Yes I can control the iPod from the head unit. You can on all the models, older and newer ones.

ReputationRep:
    Well i might aswell just pay the extra and get one of the newer ones then really. I might go and see what they got in halfords soon and see what they got.

ReputationRep:
    Only use Halfords as a guide - when I was buying my last headunit, they were selling it for £399 plus about £60 for the iPod adapter. I bought it from one of the online car audio dealers for £300 altogether - and collected it from them as they were based locally.

Fitting is fairly straightforward - IMO if you can put a PC together then you shouldn't have any problem fitting a car audio head unit.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i dont intend on buying from halfords, just want to have a look at them in RL etc and then buy online.

I know you use your iPod in your car, any problems with battery? Im think i would proabably get a 2GB nano just incase and then i can just leave it in the car all the time. But then you cant use two iPods with the same iTunes library can you? Well, thats another topic i guess :p:

I will get someone at work to fit it, dont wanna risk it myself even though it may be easy!

ReputationRep:
    Well I've currently got my 30GB video and a 20GB photo that I managed to pick up cheap. I haven't noticed any battery problems, but I've got an AppleCare pack ready to extend the warranty beyond the year for the photo if I keep it longer than the original warranty.

At the moment I'm thinking about having just one iPod as I only listen to it in the car now rather than on the bus, etc. like I did before. Still a bit nervous about plugging my perfect iPod video into the car though in case it does **** up the battery... :|

You can have 2 iPods on the same iTunes library - both of mine have identical content (except for the videos).

Very wise to get someone else to do it - some very sharp edges can cut your hands to pieces (bit like building a PC then!).

ReputationRep:
    I've been using my iPod in my car for about a year and haven't had any problems with the battery at all when I've used it out of the car.

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking into this a lot and decided to go with an Xplod head unit with an AUX input on the front. I just couldn't justify the price.

I went into Sextons the other day and they had a couple of pieces of kit that will turn any modern head with CD Changer options into iPod units. So if you get a head unit with CD Changer capability (which most of them do) then check out Sextons... prehaps give them a ring tey know what they're talking about?

http://www.sextons.co.uk/Homepage_1....ory=3&id=18051 They have more stores that what the website lists

ReputationRep:
    Ive just been looking on Halfords website and saw this one ... http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...ectorGroupId=# ... it says 'adjust the sound through your stereo' so does that just mean volume or choosing tracks?

Anyhow, i found it on eBay for £140 including delivery and its the same model number with the iPod bit - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KENWOOD-KDC-W4...QQcmdZViewItem - looks alright doesnt it?

Same one here - http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/4511.html - and it says

'Simply connect your iPod® to the Kenwood iPod® adapter for distraction-free, hands-on-the-wheel safe driving. Your iPod completely integrates into your familiar sound system. Control it just like you normally handle your in-car audio: right on your headunit, using the remote, or best yet, using your steering wheel remote control.'

Its still not very clear though, it says 'control it' but does that mean choosing tracks from the headunit or not?

Whats the difference between using an AUX lead and the 'iPod adapter' ? The one that comes with an AUX lead is a £100 or something ...

ReputationRep:
    Well im answering all me own questions here lol. The one on eBay comes with a KCA-IP500 iPod adapter and on here - http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/3426.html - it says you can scan the music you want by playlist, album etc.

Might get this one now - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1 - only £10 more than the other one.

Is Kenwood good? I always thought it was but things change ...

For my question above about the difference between an adapter and AUX, im guessing that with the AUX you need to control the music from your iPod and its just a direct link instead of a cassette adapter? And with the iPod adapters you can control everything from the headunit? Is that how it works?

Motorised Slide Detachable panel
    Whats that all about? The second one on eBay has it as a feature.

I cant find the W6031 on Kenwoods website and the listing says its a 2006 model, surely it would be on the website if it was that new?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    For my question above about the difference between an adapter and AUX, im guessing that with the AUX you need to control the music from your iPod and its just a direct link instead of a cassette adapter? And with the iPod adapters you can control everything from the headunit? Is that how it works?
    Correct.

(Original post by Cortez)
    Whats that all about? The second one on eBay has it as a feature.
    Motorised front panel slides down when you press a button so that you can insert/eject a CD into the slot. The front control panel of the radio is also detachable so you can remove the fascia and put it in the glovebox/take it away with you for security.

ReputationRep:
    Motorised means that when you press the button, it slowly folds away electrically, so that you can load the disc. On mine, it's spring loaded so when I press the button, it just pops out of the way a bit, then you manually press it back into place. The motorised one will fold back automatically when the CD is loaded, or unloaded, or if you press the button again.

ReputationRep:
    Is Kenwood any good then? They are little cheaper than Alpine you see

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.