Birkbeck- Whats it like? Watch

Lord Jon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
HI guys.

I recently came across Birkbeck university and it seems bloody fantastic!

However I would like to know what it's like... :holmes:

What is the social scene like and what is the Full Time courses like? Timetabling? are they all in the evenings and if so how long?

I am going to be 20 by the time I leave college .... what is it like for those slightly younger students who are going there?

All comments appreciated

Many Thanks
ShiFty Kid
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm starting their in January 2013 for a Web Design course. Not sure what it's going to be like though.
stone450
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Birkbeck has really high standards of teaching, but you can pretty much forget gaining a social life from studying there. Unless you're going for a daytime-taught programme (rare) the vast majority of teaching takes place between 18:00 and 21:00...by which time most students have already had a full days work and just want to go home.

Absolutely worth studying at Birkbeck though, can't recommend it enough, just don't go there expecting a party every night.
Lord Jon
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hmmmm I'd quite like at least some social life but to be honest that can be acquired through other means

As for partying... again I'd like the occasional party but the main thing I want out of it is a degree that can take me to medical school aafterwards and the chance to work and save up (which I can get from bbk)
(Original post by stone450)
Birkbeck has really high standards of teaching, but you can pretty much forget gaining a social life from studying there. Unless you're going for a daytime-taught programme (rare) the vast majority of teaching takes place between 18:00 and 21:00...by which time most students have already had a full days work and just want to go home. <br />
<br />
Absolutely worth studying at Birkbeck though, can't recommend it enough, just don't go there expecting a party every night.
<br />
<br />

(Original post by ShiFty Kid)
I'm starting their in January 2013 for a Web Design course. Not sure what it's going to be like though.
<br />
<br />

Good luck ') hopefully we find out :P
tabshiftspace
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by stone450)
Birkbeck has really high standards of teaching, but you can pretty much forget gaining a social life from studying there. Unless you're going for a daytime-taught programme (rare) the vast majority of teaching takes place between 18:00 and 21:00...by which time most students have already had a full days work and just want to go home.

Saying that, the Birkbeck SU bar is rammed pretty much every night ;-)
stone450
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tabshiftspace)
Saying that, the Birkbeck SU bar is rammed pretty much every night ;-)
True true, but I can guarantee that 50% of the people there are Birkbeck staff and 25% of the rest aren't Birkbeck students.
trails
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I could ask my brother, he's currently in his final year doing politics. He has said that the lecturers there are amazing and the standard of teaching is extremely high! But yeah, all classes take place in the evening and it's much more catered to the 'mature' students. I'm sure you already know that though. :P
Emmi81
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I see Birkbeck are now offering full time degrees as well - I am really interested in going to do the BSC Geography but does anyone know if it is really competitive to get in? I have been working for the last ten years and have got decent A-levels but they are from like 12 years :blushing:
really regret not going to uni when I was young ( well I'm still only 31 )
I'm going to the open evening at the end of the month but just wondered if anyone knew how difficult it is to get accepted by Birkbeck?
tabshiftspace
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Emmi81)
I see Birkbeck are now offering full time degrees as well - I am really interested in going to do the BSC Geography but does anyone know if it is really competitive to get in? I have been working for the last ten years and have got decent A-levels but they are from like 12 years :blushing:
I'm going to the open evening at the end of the month but just wondered if anyone knew how difficult it is to get accepted by Birkbeck?
I reckon you'd be fine and they do pre-degree warm up classes for those that have been out of education for a while.

You'll most likely get onto the course (subject to popularity of the course) but you'll just have to work hard and knuckle down. At least you'll have a degree from a university that employers respect then.
Lord Jon
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by trails)
I could ask my brother, he's currently in his final year doing politics. He has said that the lecturers there are amazing and the standard of teaching is extremely high! But yeah, all classes take place in the evening and it's much more catered to the 'mature' students. I'm sure you already know that though. :P
Yeah ask him please
trails
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lord Jon)
Yeah ask him please
I am unsure if the classes for FT are in the evening, actually, you may want to ask the university about it? I know for sure PT it's in the evening.
Anyway, I did asked my brother and he said that he finds Birkbeck to be a great change to his previous uni (Portsmouth), and for the better too. However, the difference in the social scene is immense. It's not like a "normal" university. This is partly due to the fact that the average age at BBK is higher. He told me when I put it down on my UCAS for psychology that despite it being a good uni for psychology, it shouldn't be a firm/insurance choice if I wanted to get the "full" student experience. So, you may want to take that into account.
Also, there are some students at BBK straight out of school (2 from my school have gone there in the last year, granted, it's not a large proportion, but still!). There are people my brothers age too (he's 25), and he says he prefers it, as you're treated more like an adult than at other universities.
The other thing is because it's a university of London uni, you're able to use all the other libraries, intercollegiate accomidation (my brother lives at home though), etc. So there's a bonus.
Personally, despite the small social life, it's a very good university, and as always, you can get social life from elsewhere if needs be. :P

(Original post by Emmi81)
You may get an interview. That's how it is for a lot of the courses I've heard. May be worth phoning them up and seeing what they say about your situation?
tabshiftspace
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by trails)
I am unsure if the classes for FT are in the evening, actually, you may want to ask the university about it? I know for sure PT it's in the evening.
Anyway, I did asked my brother and he said that he finds Birkbeck to be a great change to his previous uni (Portsmouth), and for the better too. However, the difference in the social scene is immense. It's not like a "normal" university. This is partly due to the fact that the average age at BBK is higher. He told me when I put it down on my UCAS for psychology that despite it being a good uni for psychology, it shouldn't be a firm/insurance choice if I wanted to get the "full" student experience. So, you may want to take that into account.
Also, there are some students at BBK straight out of school (2 from my school have gone there in the last year, granted, it's not a large proportion, but still!). There are people my brothers age too (he's 25), and he says he prefers it, as you're treated more like an adult than at other universities.
The other thing is because it's a university of London uni, you're able to use all the other libraries, intercollegiate accomidation (my brother lives at home though), etc. So there's a bonus.
Personally, despite the small social life, it's a very good university, and as always, you can get social life from elsewhere if needs be. :P

You may get an interview. That's how it is for a lot of the courses I've heard. May be worth phoning them up and seeing what they say about your situation?
Full Time are also in the evening. I am on the full time LLB although the extracurriculars add up to a 7 day a week study fest..
MrHappy_J
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do people find it a problem to go to lectures in the evening when it's cold and the middle of winter?
I'm thinking of transferring there but I still have this doubt. Since I don't exactly live in central london it would mean commuting every day but it just gets so miserable...
Also how come it's nowhere to be seen in any of the league tables? Is it not a proper university?
mackers_ire
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MrHappy_J)
Do people find it a problem to go to lectures in the evening when it's cold and the middle of winter?
I'm thinking of transferring there but I still have this doubt. Since I don't exactly live in central london it would mean commuting every day but it just gets so miserable...
Also how come it's nowhere to be seen in any of the league tables? Is it not a proper university?
It's not in the standard league tables because up until just 1 year ago they only offered part-time degrees, so were never included in things like times league and good university guide etc. they are part of the University of London and so fully recognised.
MrHappy_J
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mackers_ire)
It's not in the standard league tables because up until just 1 year ago they only offered part-time degrees, so were never included in things like times league and good university guide etc. they are part of the University of London and so fully recognised.
ah thanks.
Anthro89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know this is quite an old thread but I need help. Just got an email saying I have an interview at birkeck in 2 weeks time for social science degree. It's a group interview and a one on one interview. I'm extremely nervous as I'm quite shy and feel I won't interview well. Has anyone else had this? I didn't realise the interview would take this format and am worried I'm a borderline candidate. Anyone out there who can help? Many thanks.
emilyaoife
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm gonna second that! I know it's an old thread but i'm desperately trying to get advice for my interview with Birkbeck in a few weeks. I'm hoping to study the Arts & Humanities BA full time with them and am just very unsure of what to expect. I don't have a conventional educational history, with no a levels. I'm over 21 however so as a mature student i don't need to meet formal entry requirements but i just want to get an idea of what the interview is like.

Basically I just have no idea what to expect. I have a BTEC that I completed a few years ago now and 3 GCSEs all of which I did very well in after having dropped out of school at 14. I want this more than anything. So yeah, if anyone has studied with BBK or if anyone has any advice on attending interviews as a mature student with an unconventional educational history I would be hugely grateful!
tabshiftspace
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anthro89)
I know this is quite an old thread but I need help. Just got an email saying I have an interview at birkeck in 2 weeks time for social science degree. It's a group interview and a one on one interview. I'm extremely nervous as I'm quite shy and feel I won't interview well. Has anyone else had this? I didn't realise the interview would take this format and am worried I'm a borderline candidate. Anyone out there who can help? Many thanks.
Birkbeck professors are very friendly, informal but immensely academic. They are inclusive and want you to feel comfortable. If you want to succeed and show that you are looking forward to a hard slog, then you'll be fine. Lazy or lack lustre students tend to be ignored. I hope that helps.
tabshiftspace
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by emilyaoife)
I'm gonna second that! I know it's an old thread but i'm desperately trying to get advice for my interview with Birkbeck in a few weeks. I'm hoping to study the Arts & Humanities BA full time with them and am just very unsure of what to expect. I don't have a conventional educational history, with no a levels. I'm over 21 however so as a mature student i don't need to meet formal entry requirements but i just want to get an idea of what the interview is like.

Basically I just have no idea what to expect. I have a BTEC that I completed a few years ago now and 3 GCSEs all of which I did very well in after having dropped out of school at 14. I want this more than anything. So yeah, if anyone has studied with BBK or if anyone has any advice on attending interviews as a mature student with an unconventional educational history I would be hugely grateful!
see my response on the comment above
tehmonkey
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Has anyone had experience of transferring second year despite not having the required A-level grades, I'm not a mature student which is why I ask.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads