Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering can apply to cambridge more than once for different subjects eg of the 6 options for university on UCAS can 1 of them be for vet med at cam and another be for natural science at cam ?????

ReputationRep:
    No, you can apply for only one course at Cambridge (or Oxford).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlie_d)
    I was just wondering can apply to cambridge more than once for different subjects eg of the 6 options for university on UCAS can 1 of them be for vet med at cam and another be for natural science at cam ?????
    No, you cant do that unfortunately. You could obviously apply for vet somwhere else (not oxford) and then natsci at cambridge, but you cant pick two for cam. Makes sense really, otherwise all the mathmos would also apply for compsci, physical natsci and economics to have a better chance of at least getting on a course of some type at cam, historians/english litters with a language a level would apply for MML or SPS coz its less competitive, etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK, there's one exception; You can apply to (I believe a single course at) Oxford and Cambridge if you're going for an Organ Scholarship.
    Otherwise it's one course at one of the unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Flipside)
    AFAIK, there's one exception; You can apply to (I believe a single course at) Oxford and Cambridge if you're going for an Organ Scholarship.
    Otherwise it's one course at one of the unis.
    That's right.

Oh, you can also apply to both if you're apply for postgrad studies.

ReputationRep:
    Cool thanks spose it makes alot of sense really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niccolo)
    No, you cant do that unfortunately. You could obviously apply for vet somwhere else (not oxford) and then natsci at cambridge, but you cant pick two for cam. Makes sense really, otherwise all the mathmos would also apply for compsci, physical natsci and economics to have a better chance of at least getting on a course of some type at cam, historians/english litters with a language a level would apply for MML or SPS coz its less competitive, etc etc.
    Not all of them. Some of us actually love maths you know - I have no desire to study compsci, physics, or economics (although economics is pretty interesting), at Cam or anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderer)
    Not all of them. Some of us actually love maths you know - I have no desire to study compsci, physics, or economics (although economics is pretty interesting), at Cam or anywhere else.
    Yeah i know a lot of the mathmos actually love maths, but surely a decent number (not necessarily you as an individual) of you mathematical master nerds would be happy with oxbridge physics as an alternative? The amount of maths is intense, apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niccolo)
    Yeah i know a lot of the mathmos actually love maths, but surely a decent number (not necessarily you as an individual) of you mathematical master nerds would be happy with oxbridge physics as an alternative? The amount of maths is intense, apparently.
    Physics is a totally different thing - studying something containing lots of maths is very different from studying maths. I can't speak for others but neither of the two of us at my school holding maths offers would study any other subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderer)
    Physics is a totally different thing - studying something containing lots of maths is very different from studying maths. I can't speak for others but neither of the two of us at my school holding maths offers would study any other subject.
    physics isn't that different a thing at cambridge, the maths tripos includes courses in dynamics, vector calculus, quantum mechanics, special relativity, fluid dynamics, electromagnetism...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not)
    physics isn't that different a thing at cambridge, the maths tripos includes courses in dynamics, vector calculus, quantum mechanics, special relativity, fluid dynamics, electromagnetism...
    As do most maths courses - though the applied stuff is done in a mathsy way. The point is that the physics course doesn't include number theory, groups, knots, analysis, functions, etc. There is going to be a fair amount of common material, particularly for applied mathematicians, but studying physics is a fundamentally different thing to studying mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Flipside)
    You can apply to (I believe a single course at) Oxford and Cambridge if you're going for an Organ Scholarship.
    That seems heartily unfair. Presumably they just do it because organists are hard to come by?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditting Suck)
    That seems heartily unfair. Presumably they just do it because organists are hard to come by?
    Apparently, I am a '****ing ******' for posting this, and I deserve negative reputation. Is there an appeals system for reputation?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, I am a '****ing ******' for posting this, and I deserve negative reputation. Is there an appeals system for reputation?
    Wowzer, I didn't know organists had discovered the internet! Gosh, they really flew off the Handel there though! They must be Baching mad!

Ho ho ho, I can only hope the organist lynch mob doesn't find me before the police get here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by essjaydee_88)
    Wowzer, I didn't know organists had discovered the internet! Gosh, they really flew off the Handel there though! They must be Baching mad!

Ho ho ho, I can only hope the organist lynch mob doesn't find me before the police get here.
    i'll be amazed if you don't get neg repped for that considering what happened to ditting suck!

ReputationRep:
    If you had a subscription, you could find out who neg repped you there and shame them in public

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.