The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Anjani
hehe well the cool jeans comment we wrote because I was at paula's place (girl on the right) and trying on all her jeans while she was uploading the pictures.

and good guess! not in china but taiwan. hehe, actually they're originally from japan. the japanese are crazy about them. but now they're all over asia. :wink:

Anjani xoxo

i have yet to buckle under the pressure of going to one of those places, i feel if i do succumb to the tackiness the photo will eventually be used as blackmail material against me (i know i have such lovely friends). im glad you didnt pose with the V sign though otherwise i wouldve had to slap you with a rubber chicken when we meet.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Is the V sign peace or victory? I heard from my friends that's it borrowed from the Japanese who use it as victory. :confused:
i thought the japanese borrowed it from western culture (ie: Churchill or hippies) and then incorporated it into their own. i would guess it means victory rather than peace judging from the manga i have read/watched as the pose is usually adopted by the protagonist after achieving a goal of some sort. sorry for the rant, someone should probably slap me now...
Reply 443
I was told that it depends on which side of the hand is in front.
but I that was a long time ago so maybe I was a little too naive at the time.
Reply 444
Yes, with the back of the hand facing the recipient of the gesture (usually someone of French origin by tradition) it is very offensive. The origins of this are fairly disputed but on the whole people believe that it came about from the French cutting off English archers' bow fingers, and it was given by the English a as a sign of defiance.
yes, to show they could still "pluck yew". although i believe this bit to be a myth
Reply 446
OH GOD. I'd rather jump of a roof than pose with a V sign. hahaha, but you know what, in japan thats already out. Theres a new one. Its.. (difficult to describe) with thumb, index , and middle finger. spread out like a fan and the index pointing to your nose while you smile with your mouth open.. yes its REALLY WEIRD. but they're all doing it now haha.:p: :rolleyes:

its the new FOB v-sign
^ i hope that dosent spread but alas, the chinese population are so brainwashed by the japs i think its inevitable.
and if they have to pose why not find something cooler? like the devil sign (thumb, pinky and index fingers outwards) which although i still dont like does seem a lot cooler than V signs and bunny ears (another of my pet peeves)
Reply 448
Anjani
OH GOD. I'd rather jump of a roof than pose with a V sign. hahaha, but you know what, in japan thats already out. Theres a new one. Its.. (difficult to describe) with thumb, index , and middle finger. spread out like a fan and the index pointing to your nose while you smile with your mouth open.. yes its REALLY WEIRD. but they're all doing it now haha.:p: :rolleyes:

its the new FOB v-sign

I think I see what you mean , saw it in a manga I think.
I hope out of all the asian people going to imperial there will be people playing Go, I have only found 1 person to play with in the last 2 years.
you mean something like this? dont really know what the hell is going on, too many conflicting poses! argh!
Reply 450
Is it sad that the first thing that came to my mind after reading about this gesture involving the Thumb, Index and Middle finger was Fleming's left hand motor rule?
Reply 451
Yeah, it probably means something like, "go stick your magnetic field up your conductor!"
Reply 452
Don't worry, I thought about it too although I couldn't remember what it was for.
oh the memories of physics test where half the class was moving the hand around trying to figure out which finger was what.
tahngarth
I think I see what you mean , saw it in a manga I think.
I hope out of all the asian people going to imperial there will be people playing Go, I have only found 1 person to play with in the last 2 years.

<-==== plays :smile: but im not asian..
//Mike
Is it sad that the first thing that came to my mind after reading about this gesture involving the Thumb, Index and Middle finger was Fleming's left hand motor rule?

Oh dear.
i play go, abeit badly. i dont know any strategies just the basic rules. my dad has been trying to teach me but it gets WAY complicated.

ahh flemming's LHR, i remember fondly in our physics (PHY 5 i think) exam i looked up to check the time and noticed several of my classmates in quite comical positions due to a question on magnetic fields. it took a LOT of willpower not to laugh out loud that time
Reply 456
The Caretaker
i play go, abeit badly. i dont know any strategies just the basic rules. my dad has been trying to teach me but it gets WAY complicated.

ahh flemming's LHR, i remember fondly in our physics (PHY 5 i think) exam i looked up to check the time and noticed several of my classmates in quite comical positions due to a question on magnetic fields. it took a LOT of willpower not to laugh out loud that time

If you have the time in exams, its always fun to watch the invigilator's faces when everyone gets to the magnetic field questions.
Reply 457
I found it amusing when the only question on magnetic fields would involve the left hand rule, and you would see half the class trying to fathom the answer with their right hand.
LOL, there were a few of those this year.
Reply 459
//Mike
I found it amusing when the only question on magnetic fields would involve the left hand rule, and you would see half the class trying to fathom the answer with their right hand.

:toofunny:

ahh, good times... :p:

fais

Latest

Trending

Trending