Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How much cash did you save for uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    My parents are really anoying me about getting a job to save up cash for when i go to uni, and say that i need to save atleast £2000.
    How much money did you save before you went to uni(if any)? how much did it help? Is it nessasary to save £2000 (seems like a lot of money to me)?

btw, im apping for entry in 2007 so i have a year to save.

ReputationRep:
    I saved up about £400

Which i think i spent in freshers week (or at least the first month!) :eek;

If you can try and work out a budget as it'll give you a better idea, or speak to existing students at the uni you want to go to so you know roughly about the expenses

ReputationRep:
    Nothing

ReputationRep:
    Im living at home whilst at uni and im getting a NHS bursary. Ive decided to save just to top up my bursary, so far im up to £550 im trying to get to £1000.

ReputationRep:
    I saved £3000, got about £3000 in student loan, and there will only be about £1200 left of it all after this first year at uni and no i dont waste my money on useless stuff at uni, its all gone on rent, fees, bills and transport. going to study in america next year for 12 months so need to save up another £2500 before september as well (eek!!!)

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to uni in Sept/Oct and so far I have... nothing

I don't really get paid that much so it's hard to save money as I've always got things to pay for! I do have a savings account, but it's currently only saving me about 5p

ReputationRep:
    i didn't save any. whatever money you have, you'll end up spending, whether you save £2000 or £200.

ReputationRep:
    ive saved more or less everything i've earnt so far (i'm on a gap yr atm) cos i don't wanna come out of uni with lots of debt.

you can always just get a job for a few months to get some experience n save money for going travelling or if you're going on a holiday with friends in the summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silence)
    whatever money you have, you'll end up spending, whether you save £2000 or £200.
    What a stupid thing to say. I love the way people try and convince eachother they don't need to save anything.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to try and save about £2000. Currently have (not including laptop money) £700. I can save £800 from work this summer and the other £500 will have to come from somewhere. I also need money for my holiday in September, eek!

ReputationRep:
    I should have about £6500 by october saved up! Gonna get £3000 each year from Durham and £2700 from government. Bye bye debt!

ReputationRep:
    ah you lucky thing! plus you get your fees paid for you dont you?

ReputationRep:
    So far I've saved about £2500 but 500 will probably go on a laptop.

ReputationRep:
    I have about £2.1k, I've deferred entry and will be aiming to save up this year. I'm not eligible for gov't loans, so it's up to me really!

ReputationRep:
    I only had about £1000, but I'm in the nice position of being able to piss most of it away on whatever I like. It's really worth saving as much as you can, especially if you're paying fees/rent and won't get money from parents cause it'll just make things so much more comfortable, and it's one of those worries that you could really do without when uni is such a big change anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I should have about £3000 by the time I leave for uni, so that along with my grant and loans should keep me going until I can settle down and find some part-time work.

My brother left for uni with hardly any money and messed around with credit cards so now at the age of 23 he's back living at home because he's skint and is in the **** basically. A warning for us all I think!

ReputationRep:
    Whether 2k is a reasonable amout to save or not depends how much your parents are giving to you. What do you have to pay for? I had to pay for freshers week myself, and things like my gym membership, but my parents paid for fees and my loan went on accommodation. I then got pocket money to get me through the week, so all i needed was money for a few books, o and internet connection and tv license. I ended up saiving about £400, which was plenty. If my parents didn't do all that for me i would have to save a lot more. xx

ReputationRep:
    i didn't realise anybody saved for uni, i certainly didn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stub)
    What a stupid thing to say. I love the way people try and convince eachother they don't need to save anything.
    i didn't mean to convice anybody of anything, i was just saying that from what i've seen, people will always be pushing their budgets to the limit whether they have £30 a week to live on or £300.

ReputationRep:
    I've got about 700 in the current account, then around 2k in savings. I don't plan on spending it all, but I'm buying a new computer this september which will take up a large chunk of it

Unlike so many of my friends with less crowded timetables I don't have time for a job at the moment, especially with exams coming up. Then in the summer I'm away for a while and the chances of getting a good paying job for just a couple of months before seem slim, especially around where I live.

-Chris

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 23, 2006
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.